[SUGGESTION] CE owners moving suggestion

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
seeing as we paid almost TWICE what everyone else paid for our copies, and were now being forced to lose the names we bought the damn game early to keep, and yes they are important, personally ive been using the same names for going on 10 years and i kind of object to losing them.

so

can we please have an ingame item added to our accounts. im in favour of a new title, something along the lines of "I got fucked over by GOA and all i got was this stupid title "

but on a slightly more serious note.. we paid good money for that benefit which you are now taking off us, so, er .. some compensation is in order.
free month ? extra xp ? or you can give me that 40 quid back.. dont mind really

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Well, having lost/had to rename four characters between moving from Orrud to Hirn, anything that recognises the fact that the CE early release option to reserve my chosen names was a great big fat waste of time would be good.

PS Such nicking my idea Mabs!

Vintersorg

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, I have to vote for this one too.
Same problem here. I've payed big bucks for the CE, so I think we CE owners deserve a compensation for being screwed over by GOA (again...)

Tetley

Fledgling Freddie
While any freebie would be nice the reason I paid for the CE was not to keep my name - which I have now lost - but for the extras inside. I found the CE to be better than I expected so whatever happens now it is something I don't regret getting.

I would have liked to have kept my name though.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Latest response from GOA* regarding current server transfers and people having to change their ingame names:

Of course you were disappointed and criticism is certainly warranted but frankly many of the posts made about the situation were borderline sociopathic. If losing your ingame name really drives you to such depths of anger and fury that you felt compelled to make the death threats, racial slurs and other deeply unpleasant posts then - and there is no polite way to put this - there is something wrong with you.

:D

*may not be true

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
people just threatened to quit ;) it's a long way from threatening to firebomb the GOA offices.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
people just threatened to quit ;)
Actually Film, i logged onto the guild i was in on the servers that are getting canned (i play destro over there for a change occasionally).

5pm, Saturday evening. Normally 20+ people online. I was the only one online for 2 hours, and logged then due to boredom.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Actually Film, i logged onto the guild i was in on the servers that are getting canned (i play destro over there for a change occasionally).

5pm, Saturday evening. Normally 20+ people online. I was the only one online for 2 hours, and logged then due to boredom.

can someone else take half a sentence and run with it?

People were threatening to quit (and some did indeed quit) last I checked no one threatened to firebomb the GOA offices over this one...

Grotnob

Fledgling Freddie
Cadelin was referencing (and altering) Requiel/IainC's post regarding the WAR CE/Pre-order week's head start prior to launch. It's not an actual quote from GOA.

Or rather, it is, but not a recent one in relation to the current server transfers.

I think it was an attempt to be funny, hence the smile emoticon.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Truth is GOA didn't see this coming when they opened so many servers, there's little alternative now, if they allow CE owners moving to keep their names do they force existing players on that server to change theirs? What happens if both are CE owners?

You got early access, not some form of extra rights over character names. The only option I see is that GOA force characters which haven't been logged in for X months to be renamed and free up those names, at least then existing active players won't be affected.

I had early access too with SE - so surely they'd also have to recieve compensation too.

Personally I couldn't give a damn about character names and have taken the opportunity to change one of my characters names completely whilst transfering server. I can see GOA's view point, but as usual they've communicated it rather badly to the players affected.

Having a differently named character doesn't affect you're ability to play, personally I'd rather people were forced to change, rather than ending up in the utterly moronic DAOC way of dealing with them such as Cabbie-excalibur, Cabbie-prydwen etc.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
someone fill me in on whats happening i dont see anything pertaining to server closures on webbie? do we know which servers are gettin canned?

GReaper

Part of the furniture
They could do with considering an alternative solution with character names in the long term. Every game requires you to have a unique name on the server, over time tens of thousands of names are taken which forces the existing real players to choose increasingly pathetic names which are often spelt slightly annoyingly just to get something close to what they want.

Surely they could release the names for characters on accounts which haven't been activated for 3 months and are below a certain level? If the original owner comes back for some strange reason then they could be forced rename that particular character before they're able to play it.

All too often with online games the majority of names are held by users who have little intention of playing again. I know it's nice for the games creators to keep characters for as long as possible, but when your paying customers can't get the names they want it's time to reconsider.

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Surely they could release the names for characters on accounts which haven't been activated for 3 months and are below a certain level? If the original owner comes back for some strange reason then they could be forced rename that particular character before they're able to play it.

Similar to what I suggested, it's about the only workable solution that wouldn't annoy too many people. Granted the "pain" will soon be over as there will be hardly any servers to move too, so server moves will be exceptionally unlikely.

It's poor planning, offering a server move is a good idea, but I really don't think Mythic or GOA have thought it through. Completely no control over how many people from server X move to server Y and I'm guessing here but probably no plan if that did happen, other than to tell them to go back.

I like to give the benefit of the doubt though and in this sort of situation something had to be done quickly, sadly GOA probably didn't have the tools available to it to do it the way they wanted.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
can someone else take half a sentence and run with it?

People were threatening to quit (and some did indeed quit) last I checked no one threatened to firebomb the GOA offices over this one...

I Iz Mizcheviouz.

Or some such bollocks :) :lol:

Grotnob

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not going to be making any friends saying this, but there's no reason CE and SE people couldn't have reserved their names on all of the servers during the prelaunch, and it's not GOA's fault that customers didn't do this. The facility was provided.

I've done a bit of thinking about stuff these past couple of days, and I don't think GOA's quite as black as we're painting them. (Myself included.)

In terms of being forced to switch servers, the first time (for me, Orrud->Hirn) could be said to be GOA's fault (opening too many servers too soon) but then GOA doesn't have a crystal ball, and can only react to apparent trends in figures. The more figures they have, and the more time they span, the more obvious trends are. Hindsight being 20:20, one could easily say that opening up 10 new servers in the first fortnight of release was rash, but that's only in hindsight. If that influx of players hadn't gone back to WoW or wherever, they'd still be around, and the extra servers would have been justified.

The second move (Hirn->Norn) although contentious, apparently out of the blue, and the source of much justifiable but misdirected anger, was not GOA's fault in the slightest.

Firstly, the developed world's in recession. Everyone's looking to trim off excesses and save money, and people are losing jobs. If customers are making cutbacks on their budgets, the first thing that's likely to go is luxury stuff like MMO subs. This causes a drop in overall population, which, assuming it's evenly spread, is going to hit the smaller servers harder, necessitating server merges to ensure there's enough people playing on a given server to make the game fun. There's been a number of names banded around as whipping boys we can blame for the recession, but GOA's not one of those names as far as I'm aware. I could blame Mabs for the recession with just as much justification.

Secondly, GOA's not responsible for content, gameplay or fixing bugs. If people have become disillusioned with WAR on those grounds and left, resulting in population drops and server merges, then that's Mythic's fault. To blame GOA for this is kind of like screaming blue bloody murder at the tech support guy for the shop where you bought your computer because Windows has crashed, or doesn't do what you want it to. People do do this, as anyone that's worked on consumer tech support can attest, but it's not rational behaviour.

TLDR; none of this is GOA's fault. It's a bit silly to blame them for it and demand compensation. It's understandable to do so, because it's a lot easier than figuring out who is actually responsible and screaming at them, or accepting that broadly it's no-one's fault, and not screaming at all.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH

A mature, well thought out argument with one key flaw i'm afraid fella. Many of the servers did not exist at CE launch and were in fact added several weeks into general release, hence there was no facility to reserve names in advance.

It doesn't affect me personally, but just thought i'd pick at that particuarly hole in the argument :)

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I'm not going to be making any friends saying this, but there's no reason CE and SE people couldn't have reserved their names on all of the servers during the prelaunch, and it's not GOA's fault that customers didn't do this. The facility was provided.

As lame as it is to do this (it clogs up the name for anyone else wanting it), it's exactly what I did at the end of the first day. On every single server, including all the German/French/Spanish/Italian ones as well.

To be fair though, people weren't expecting servers to be closed so quickly. I think we were all expecting WAR to be a huge success with a massive population, with Mythic/GOA adding servers for months afterwards similar to WoW. Going from around 20 servers down to 5 so soon is disappointing.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Going from around 20 servers down to 5 so soon is disappointing.

Personally i'd say it's indicative of a huge loss in subscriptions - given that a full server is 8k+ active players (based on a previous post i remember - correct me if i'm wrong).

I'm not jumping on the WAR is dying bandwagon, but that rate of loss can't be sustained.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Personally i'd say it's indicative of a huge loss in subscriptions - given that a full server is 8k+ active players (based on a previous post i remember - correct me if i'm wrong).

I'm not jumping on the WAR is dying bandwagon, but that rate of loss can't be sustained.

will have to agree there and the only way they could keep there existing player base was to reduce the servers and force people to move, to stop making them ghost servers with teh population spread out.

Still doesnt bode well just 6 months after launch, wonder what it will be like in 6 months more.

:m00:

Fatload BoysDoCry

Can't get enough of FH
I'm not going to be making any friends saying this, but there's no reason CE and SE people couldn't have reserved their names on all of the servers during the prelaunch

Its exactly what I did, when they made new servers I did it on them also. It was the sensible thing to do.

Fatload BoysDoCry

Can't get enough of FH
Still doesnt bode well just 6 months after launch, wonder what it will be like in 6 months more.

:m00:

Hopefully the populations will be down to DAOC levels, and MJ is given his marching orders. Maybe then they will realise sacrificing one game to make a WoW clone was a stupid idea.:D

Grotnob

Fledgling Freddie
A mature, well thought out argument with one key flaw i'm afraid fella. Many of the servers did not exist at CE launch and were in fact added several weeks into general release, hence there was no facility to reserve names in advance.

It doesn't affect me personally, but just thought i'd pick at that particuarly hole in the argument :)

The five remaining English servers did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom