Carefull when logging on tonight

R

Ravenbourne

Carefull when logging on tonight, it keeps trying to patch you to the US. Correct text for the update dat is (just incase)

Mythic Patch
193.252.123.21:1280/updates/english/isles/mpatch.dat

K

kameh

Just one more thing that GOA can't fix after how many months..

A

Acun

Yeah have patched to us couple times now...every time naiv as hell and thinking omg its patch day kewl!...

R

razorboy

Originally posted by kameh
Just one more thing that GOA can't fix after how many months..

one more thing people cant seem to understand, its hardcoded in the patcher, GOA can't do anything about it...

I

Iswind

just set your udate.dat to read only (youll have to enable write on it when the next patch is released though)

A

arrakeen

game.dll 193.252.123.33 10622 "username" "password"

make a bat file like that and place it in your daoc dir, then you will be sure to not patch to US, and i makes you log in without copy paste your pass etc every time or seclect server. Still need to select char ingame.

and when there come a regular patch just run the regular patcher once to get the new files :)

B

belth

Originally posted by arrakeen

gg Mythic about that :( No encryption kinda sux.

D

Driwen

Originally posted by belth
gg Mythic about that :( No encryption kinda sux.

It might still send the PW to the server encrypted it just sends the PW to the dll through the bat instead of through the login screen. Anyway I dont really know how it works, but this doesnt mean it is sending your PW without encryption.

X

xevius

Originally posted by Ravenbourne
Carefull when logging on tonight, it keeps trying to patch you to the US. Correct text for the update dat is (just incase)

Mythic Patch

So nice of you posting this :)
Saved me lots of time

/bow

W

Weeping Willow

Originally posted by arrakeen

make a bat file like that and place it in your daoc dir, then you will be sure to not patch to US, and i makes you log in without copy paste your pass etc every time or seclect server. Still need to select char ingame.

and when there come a regular patch just run the regular patcher once to get the new files :)

You checked that wasn't arrakeens ip?

B

Belomar

I wouldn't put my username and password in a cleartext file on my hard drive, it's just asking for trouble if you get hacked. Rather, put the following in a file you call something like launch.bat:

login.dll
exit /y

Run it everytime you wanna play and you will sidestep the patching process and proceed directly to the login window.

A

arrakeen

Originally posted by Belomar
I wouldn't put my username and password in a cleartext file on my hard drive, it's just asking for trouble if you get hacked. Rather, put the following in a file you call something like launch.bat:

login.dll
exit /y

Run it everytime you wanna play and you will sidestep the patching process and proceed directly to the login window.

yep its a good way allso, but if i get hacked ill cry me to sleep one night then start to wait for Wow :)

L

Loveless

Originally posted by Acun
Yeah have patched to us couple times now...every time naiv as hell and thinking omg its patch day kewl!...

Me too, I through I was finally getting a hooded cloak without gimping my stats :clap:

Was a good day in babylon untill I realised i'd been tricked.

B

belth

Originally posted by driwen
It might still send the PW to the server encrypted it just sends the PW to the dll through the bat instead of through the login screen. Anyway I dont really know how it works, but this doesnt mean it is sending your PW without encryption.

It's not the server part I'm worried about that much, but more of trojans adding low level software hooks to intercept program/dll/etc execution, as there's no way to deny such actions in Windows (or atleast I haven't found it in the myriad of tweaking programs I've used/am using).

K

kirennia

Hmmm, a number of our guildies had this problem last night too :/ Good job I didn't log on last night really :D

O

old.m0000

btw it sends p/w in plain text

decrypt the hex

Q

quinthar

Originally posted by razorboy
one more thing people cant seem to understand, its hardcoded in the patcher, GOA can't do anything about it...

Its a software game, nothing is hard coded, its either too hard or they cant be arsed.

P

piggeman

Originally posted by Ravenbourne

Mythic Patch
Why don't you just make a copy of your update.dat file. Copy as update.bak for something, and incase you start to download us files just rename the .bak to dat again. I've been doing this about <input very long time here> now, and I havn't had any problems with this.

R

razorboy

Originally posted by quinthar
Its a software game, nothing is hard coded, its either too hard or they cant be arsed.

GOA doesn't get the source files which belong to mythic though

K

Kindar

Originally posted by razorboy
GOA doesn't get the source files which belong to mythic though

Aye...as guildie said. Some idiot from Mythic hardcoded the stuff into the .exe file. If you can't reach the EU server, it will try the US or something. Thats the reason it will start to DL the patch. GOA could change this, but since its Mythic's game....GOA is not allowed to change it.

Its something different thou with event and such...mostly just ingame actions of course.

O

old.SOSAGES

does it go looking for the US patch server if it cant find the Euro one? if so couldnt the dns just be changed so it dosnt...

A

annwynn

Bah

Despite this most excellent post ... my computer had al;ready decided to download the USA patch :(

I have now reinstalled the game .. and was hopeful I would be able to play again .. but now it wont let me in .. says the password is wrong ?

Any helpful suggestions ??

Would appreciate the help

Annie

I

Ironfoot

^^^

annwyn

find the user dat file in the SI directory

replace the contents with

Mythic Patch

You don't need to reinstall the game as the right patch will just replace the USA one

A

annwynn

Ahhh !!! but at least it kept Fnarr busy for a few hours ^^

Hurrah for that :p

A

annwynn

Chcked the number thingies aswell now - they are OK

I can log in via Fnarrs computer - but not on mine ;(

On mine it says i have the wrong password - but this works OK on Fnarrs computer ?

Any ideas ??

Users who are viewing this thread