Car / Window problem??

Gray

FH is my second home
Sometime ago, i had a few problems were smoke would fill my car while driving, i never did find the route of the problem because it just stopped and went away.

It wasnt mad smoke, just very fine smoke which you could hardly see, anyway, it seemed to be coming in through my AirCon while it was on, and sometimes it blew directly onto the window.

That then made the front window go somewhat dirty on the inside, but its becoming more of an issue now due to the fact that i finish work at night, and driving home seems very dangerous because i get glare from other cars making it hard to see the road ahead.

I've tried wiping off whatever this residue is, but it looks to be slick, like grease making the window streaky so its not really helping the cause.

I do wipe/clean the window, but this is generally done during the day, when i dont notice the window in its condition, just at night it becomes a serious issue.

Car is an Audi '80 Sport 2.0

leggy

Probably Scottish
Take it to a garage tbh.

Alternatively let the residue build up and crash.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You say aircon, is this actual aircon, or just a fan and heater?

If the latter, sounds like you have a leak somewhere. Check all the fluid levels, especially your coolant.

Sounds daft, but taste bit of it. Let us know if it tastes sweet.

Gray

FH is my second home
ooh yeah! lick my windscreen :S

Infact it may actually be coming from the Fan/Heater area... hmm

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Erm - theres only one way for shit to get on the inside of the windscreen, and thats through the windscreen blower vents.

You should check that there are no leaks on your car. The coolant is the first place to start, since most cold air comes into the car near the radiator.

Gray

FH is my second home
It does build up more in one area, more on the passenger side mind so im not too fussed about that, but i need the window on the inside cleaning, or at least finding a method of cleaning it so it would be streak-free(ish)

I dont know if just water would help alone, probably make it worse... Hmm

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well the only answer is detergent. But I reiterate, if you don't sort out what I suspect is a leak, your car will die - and you can bet it will be more expensive to repair then.

Otherwise, just buy one of these:

vlad6ix.jpg

Gray

FH is my second home
Well there was already some problem with the car, happens every 2months or so, driving down the road and suddenly if you stop/slow down/turn a corner (roundabout) car will lose power/start chuddering.

Problem gets sorted when fuel tank is cleared outmainly

Tom

I am a FH squatter
That sounds like starvation to me. Check your fuel filter, and make sure your fuel pump is working correctly. In fact, check the service schedule to see when it was last replaced. From the sound of it, check the oil filter at the same time, and the air filter.

The last thing you want is crud getting into the injectors and blocking them up. BTW, get some redex injector cleaner and squirt it into your filler pipe.

And check your oil too, if its very very black and grimy it could well need changing. Simple job really, you just need axle stands, tools, new oil, and a new filter.

milou

Part of the furniture
I had a similar thing in a very old Cortina about 20 years ago - it was, as Tom suggests, the heating matrix inside the car (a sort of mini radiator) which was leaking - each time the heating was on, a fine mist would escape and coat the insides of the windows etc. The problem might not be recurring simply because rust etc has plugged the gap in the heating matrix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom