Car Tax Petition

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i would of thought something like this would go against a european law of some kind.

they must be wrangling it using the idea that its to help the environment and for the health of the nation (less fumes, more people may cycle etc). there is another way but i forgot what it is. a tax must be for one of those reasons or it wouldnt be a valid law.

Nate

FH is my second home
when are the plans for actually putting this in action? heard rumours about it a while ago, but nothing was really happening..would be quite annoying if it does imo ;/ i'll have to clock up a few more miles on my wages!

ah and an article on this btw: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4610755.stm

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
lol seems a bit of a joke, if they determine what rush hour is.

people dont want to pay 1.34 per mile of travel. if the government say rush hour is i.e. 7am - 9am . then its likely many people would drive outside those times, creating an un official rush hour.

- English -

Resident Freddy
will made driving hell more expensive. This and rising petrol costs and you will only get your rich boys driving about. Id rather walk the 4 mile journey to work than get a bus though...

Will

/bin/su
I think road pricing is a great idea. Maybe it will make people reconsider all traveling on their own short distances to work in a car.

soze

I am a FH squatter
this would be horrible for me if they class Clacton and Colchester as towns or citys i pay to drive in both of them and the 16 miles between that would be brilliant £32 a day to get to and from work, maybe the a120 will not be charged but you get my point

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
tbh, pay per mile is a lot better (aslong as the average paid price stays thesame) than pay per year. Atleast with pay per mile those that try their best to save the environment don't have to pay for those that don't. Also, perhaps it makes people aware of how expensive a piece of road is.
I haven't read articles about it, so I don't know how they are planning to organise this milage tax, but if it happens in an honest and tamperproof way (in respect to rewinding a car's milage-counters etc.) , I'd be all for it.

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Hah! You don't know the meaning of taxes until you've lived in Norway.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
A more recent article: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=415222&in_page_id=2

Is there really any need to track every single mile a person drives? I don't mind congested areas being charged, however anything else is totally unreasonable.

As for paying per mile and being tracked, would all the money generated be reinvested into improved transport? Would greener cars pay less per mile? The costs are unreasonable and people are fed up of paying over the odds as it is.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
tbh, pay per mile is a lot better (aslong as the average paid price stays thesame) than pay per year. Atleast with pay per mile those that try their best to save the environment don't have to pay for those that don't. Also, perhaps it makes people aware of how expensive a piece of road is.
it wont tho just look at the trains it now costs me 1/6th of my monthly wage just to get to work, its just another way this joke of a government wants to tax people safe in the knowledge that they are exempt from it. there is also a car tax, a petrol tax, a parking tax (via residential permits and parking tickets), a motorway toll for many bridges (arguably a tax a syou can avoid it if you go on a very long de-tour)... if they scrap all of them, sure im all for a toll.
But they arent they are adding it on top

they have forced people into their cars by unreliable and ridiculously expensive public transport, now they are trying to solve the problem the Labour way by taxing the cars.
I guess i could always take a plane to work every morning, the way things are going it will be a hell of alot cheaper

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Im all for charging people more tax if they drive more than others, but there is already a tax for this - and its on petrol.

Scrap Car Tax and scrap the duty on petrol and im in favour of this, but knowing our government it would be in addition.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Chronictank said:
it wont tho just look at the trains it now costs me 1/6th of my monthly wage just to get to work, its just another way this joke of a government wants to tax people safe in the knowledge that they are exempt from it

they have forced people into their cars by unreliable and ridiculously expensive public transport, now they are trying to solve the problem the Labour way by taxing the cars.
I guess i could always take a plane to work every morning, the way things are going it will be a hell of alot cheaper

Agree

I want to know if people who can't use public transport will get it cheaper i work on the outskirts of town so a bus ride of 30 mins on the one every hour bus to then wait 40 minutes for a 30 minute train ride on the one every hour trian. all this costs £8 a day and means i need to leave home at 6.45 to get to work for 9 and dont get home till 8. One day of that for a car service was enough to see that i could cope with maybe 2 weeks of that.
When the country can get you there on time for a resonable price then they can tax carsto the hilt, the people they need to get are when there is 4 or 5 people who live a mile away from each other but drive 5 cars to work, make it so there is a benifit to car sharing to get to work.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
What tears said!

Tears? Alan! I cant get used to that name! this name change will end in alan! and so on :(

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Seems abit silly tbh. City and town property prices will rise by a greater amount makeing it even harder for first time buyers, then getting a house further away will meen your paying even more in tax to get to work.

Loose Loose situation really.

Tip

One of Freddy's beloved
Well i guess those that would benefit from it wont sign it, i have only 10 min journey to work so i guess it will be in my favour not to sign.
I thought that they were going to tax the emmisions a vehicle emmited, if this new toll system was introduced then im sure it would be enforced on motorway etc rather than inner city etc?

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Tip said:
Well i guess those that would benefit from it wont sign it, i have only 10 min journey to work so i guess it will be in my favour not to sign.
I thought that they were going to tax the emmisions a vehicle emmited, if this new toll system was introduced then im sure it would be enforced on motorway etc rather than inner city etc?
nop,
it is a toll for everywhere you pay per mile depending on what time of the day you drive

soze

I am a FH squatter
Tip said:
also one of the plans would put a charge on driving in citys towns ect so like £3 for entering london and £3 to leave so if you live in a different town to where you work there could be huge costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom