Car Tax Advice!!!

Jonny_Darko

Fledgling Freddie
Err, anyone know what happens if you forget to get your car taxed in time?

The gits never sent me the form - ergo I didn't remember to renew it. I've just noticed it this morning (it's been 2 weeks) and have removed the car from the road until I get it sorted.

Am I supposed to ring them to ask them for a form? Will they ask whether I've been on the road since? Am I supposed to declare it SORN and how can I without the form?

Everyone I've asked so far seems to think I'm in big trouble but I'm sure they'll understand...

throdgrain

FH is my second home
If you g oto the post office and get a form, you can still re-tax the vehicle. Also , you will have to tax back to the start of the month, so if its really only 2 weeks you dont have a problem.

P.s. I am a motor trader .

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
He's quite right, and I think you can use the letter that you should have received anything up to one month after the tax expires and get it back dated. Officially if you leave it more than a month then they are supposed to contact you and hassle you about why it wasn't taxed for that period, but that said, I missed mine for about 1 month this year and just re-taxed it at the PO and haven't heard anything from the DVLA (yet).

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Tut tut Jon. BTW, there is NO grace period for car tax anymore, if you're a day over and a parking warden or copper catches you, you're nicked (mainly because no tax invalidates your insurance). The DVLA doesn't chase you with advanced reminders anymore either, you're supposed to remember yourself...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You should be ok Jonny, the DVLA is pretty shite when it comes to record keeping. If you leave it a few more weeks, they'll fine you for not declaring it SORN, so phone them up immediately and ask them to send you a new tax disc.

IIRC the fine for not declaring it SORN is about £140, reduceable if paid early.

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
Just a quick note regarding the post office form, I had to SORN my car end of last year for a short time (lost insurance) a month or so later I went into the local post office looking for a car tax from but couldn't find one. Got to the counter and discovered that it's now done electronically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom