Car Freaks & AV Freaks Combine!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Clearly I'm having some sort of outreach day today. Getting my new motor next week. Couple of days before it's my birthday and I'm being moaned at for ideas. New motor (fiat panda) comes with shitty built in stereo. So I'm hoping the amount of car freaks and AV freaks we have here can assist with finding me a better option.

Needs to have iPod/iPhone support
The panda will have a built in phone kit so it'd need to not fuck that up

Any suggestions? Then I can say to people "one of those plox" and get a double win of having a better stereo and not being moaned at.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
First you will need one of these

Then may I suggest something that plays dvd purely because you can then fill a dvd up with music for weeks of music playing joy without pissing about all the time. I personally like JVC stereos for my cars and for not a bad price I would go for this but if you want to go a bit fancier this would be my choice. Avoid anything that is touch screen, it just doesn't work for in a car, I like buttons that I don't have to look at to change things. Looking at that last stereo it may be some sort of touch screen but hopefully it comes with a steering wheel control but it does sound sexy how the control buttons appear as you move your finger towards them.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ta luv. I've ordered a brocure from JVC as I really don't understand half of the terms (having never bothered with anything like this before). I assume DIN is the size of the units?

Trem

Ta luv. I've ordered a brocure from JVC as I really don't understand half of the terms (having never bothered with anything like this before). I assume DIN is the size of the units?

Yeah single DIN is your normal sized unit and double DIN is....erm......double that size.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Nah - DIN is the noise it makes, innit! :D

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I have a JVC stereo in my Jeep, it has a plug that you just plug in your ipod, set it on shuffle and play everything without repeating. Splendid :)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
That's the sort of shit I'm after throd. The car already has bluetooth phone kit with steering controls so I'm not bothered about any of that. The second one trem pointed out looks quite funky and I like the sound of the "just blacks out" panel.

Trem

Both of the stereos I posted have a front USB port for iPod or similar, I use a memory stick in mine which is excellent.

I can only comment on JVC though as its what I like and what I stick to, I have had Kenwood before and I thought it was AIDS ridden and I hated the Sony one I had.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Got a sony unit in the current panda, doesn't get a lot of use in reality but does the job.

With the certainty of knowing what DIN meant, I did a bit more searching and it appears that the panda can accommodate Double DIN. Any of you guys have any experience with stereos that have sat nav? I'm used to tom tom but it might be worth a punt for me because I find having the satnav stalk being in my view really annoying when driving.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Word of warning: This is regarded as a "modification" to your car. Make sure you let your car insurance company know in case someone steals your new car stereo as they can quite easily worm their way out of having to pay you!

Trem

Got a sony unit in the current panda, doesn't get a lot of use in reality but does the job.

With the certainty of knowing what DIN meant, I did a bit more searching and it appears that the panda can accommodate Double DIN. Any of you guys have any experience with stereos that have sat nav? I'm used to tom tom but it might be worth a punt for me because I find having the satnav stalk being in my view really annoying when driving.

I had it in my Volvo within a double din unit but I still used my TomTom, I found the TT easier to use and it meant I could mess with what stuff was being played on the stereo without leaving the sat nav screen.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Why not pop down to Halfords and get them to advise you on this? I believe they do free fitting as well.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Because I've been to halfords and the two people I've spoken two were about as helpful as a boat with holes in the hull.

Trem

Because I've been to halfords and the two people I've spoken two were about as helpful as a boat with holes in the hull.

Why listen to Halfrauds when you can listen to Trem?

Now about the Panda, what colour is it?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Samba Orange :D

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Meh, it'd have been in black if I could have forked out for the 100HP version.

Who needs bitches now you've confessed to our relationship anyway? ;)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
PfffffssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAHAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber

JBP|

Part of the furniture
I had to replace my car a few months back after my old car got written off and had to leave a rather nice stereo in it :(

After much thought i decided to get myself one of these...
Belkin TuneBase II FM Transmitter for iPod - Apple Store (U.K.)
It does a great job, takes any ipod and more importantly i never have to give it away should anything happen to my current car :clap:

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
tbh what 1337n3ss meg had before is now completely gone down the pan, a fucking Fiat Panda.......................

when you turn the ignition does it start the engine and go "fail fail fail fail fail" then it stalls

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I wonder if you run someone over they will sit up and say "I've been Tango'd"?
Best case scenario they'd get "I've been Tan..." before I reversed over them to finish the job ;)

Trem

To be quite honest here, I do like the Panda's, I love the 500's more though. If I lived in London I am quite bloody sure I would have one of those 2. I bet the Panda is awesome in the snow.

You are still an orange car driving homo though :eek:

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't think Meg liked his title being 'Panda Driver.Haha!' :(

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
My current Panda was fine in the hench snow we had not too long ago, though I'm of the opinion with snow that it's all about how you drive. I had major lols at people who tried to go up Spa Hill (the local stupidly steep hill) only to end up sliding back down into the next prat that was trying to "power his way up".

Given the choice of similar sized motors it's a Yaris (birds car), Clio (birds car unless you get the sport) or the Panda. I wish Fiat would back port the 500's features into the Panda though as Blue & Me is quite impressive and the 500 is also a birds car.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't think Meg liked his title being 'Panda Driver.Haha!' :(
I didn't mind that, you just ruined my miserable santa thing. If you wanna stick it back on the end, then thats fine :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom