Football Capello names Provisional Squad

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Squad list

Goalkeepers
Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green
Defenders
Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock
Midfielders
Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips
Forwards
Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

Reasonable list.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
no surprises in there tbh not sure if its a world cup winning squad but its pretty solid only thing im worried about is the forwards.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
no surprises in there tbh not sure if its a world cup winning squad but its pretty solid only thing im worried about is the forwards.

I'm more worried about goalkeepers, although Joe Hart has had a good season.

Chilly

Balls of steel
fellas: if I wanted to know the rough total value of the team, where's the best place to look?

soze

I am a FH squatter
ledly king .. hmmmm his knees wont stand it

Arry Redknap thinks the gaps between games are long enough for him to recover but i think he is 4th/5th on the List anyway, so a backup player.

rynnor

Rockhound
Arry Redknap thinks the gaps between games are long enough for him to recover but i think he is 4th/5th on the List anyway, so a backup player.

Hes a fantastic defender - perhaps the best current England defender - used sparingly he'll last the duration.

Edit - hmm is Gareth Barry going to be fit in time?

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Hes a fantastic defender - perhaps the best current England defender - used sparingly he'll last the duration.

Edit - hmm is Gareth Barry going to be fit in time?

No Barry is out, Gerard and Lampard in centre midfield makes me cry.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Parker can do the job in the middle, Carrick could as well, but I don't trust him to stay as focused as Parker on defensive duties.

Cannot believe Zamora did not make it given some of the names on that team sheet. An off form Wright Phillips? Back from injury and off form Lennon? walcott? Defoe? Heskey?

Calaen

Parker can do the job in the middle, Carrick could as well, but I don't trust him to stay as focused as Parker on defensive duties.

Cannot believe Zamora did not make it given some of the names on that team sheet. An off form Wright Phillips? Back from injury and off form Lennon? walcott? Defoe? Heskey?

I understand the Heskey decision, he clearly don't like AShley young who has had another decent season, with more productivity than swp and lennon.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Ahh feck Cal, I completely missed the fact that A. Young is not there as well. Just assumed he was!

rynnor

Rockhound

He likes Heskey - that ones no suprise.

Lennon and Walcott are both ungodly fast - when your up against a really top class defence you need these guys to create chances that just wont come through the usual play.

Defoe has had a good season and is a real predator - I would also still rate Wright Phillips.

I like Zamora but I'm not convinced he'd do as well at International level - I think Capello has made decent choices.

Calaen

He likes Heskey - that ones no suprise.

Lennon and Walcott are both ungodly fast - when your up against a really top class defence you need these guys to create chances that just wont come through the usual play.

Defoe has had a good season and is a real predator - I would also still rate Wright Phillips.

I like Zamora but I'm not convinced he'd do as well at International level - I think Capello has made decent choices.

Defoe has had a good season, but as usualy all his goals come from a few game in bulk. Defoe is in a real barren spell, but I would have him as a impact sub. Same with Darren Bent (impact sub), However if Rooney gets injured Bent has to be the direct goal scoring replacement to start.
Heskey and Crouch can swap based on opposition and provide injury cover for each other.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'd put the order of strikers as Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, Bent.

I'm not sure where to stick Heskey. Probably between Crouch and Defoe tbfh. He can't hit a cows arse with a banjo, but makes it really easy for the others.

Even though he's manc scum now, it's still a shame Owen's unfit and had an unfit season. But Capello hates him anyway... :)

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I'm annoyed that Carragher got selected, partly because I think he's been a bit pants this year, but mostly because he threw his toys out of the pram over England before. Still that's not the final squad for the plane (Boat/Train/Coach) to South Africa so there's still time.

rynnor

Rockhound
He should have dropped Terry and phoned up Wayne Bridge...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ashley Young is a pretty shocking omission, what did he do wrong exactly?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm annoyed that Carragher got selected, partly because I think he's been a bit pants this year

I'll be the first to admit, the first quarter of the season Carra was a bit poop - especially by his standards. But since November he's been pretty much spot-on.

He's a defenders defender. Rock solid and incredibly experienced. If McLaren hadn't have mishandled him he'd never have quit the England setup.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I'll be the first to admit, the first quarter of the season Carra was a bit poop - especially by his standards. But since November he's been pretty much spot-on.

He's a defenders defender. Rock solid and incredibly experienced. If McLaren hadn't have mishandled him he'd never have quit the England setup.

That's fair enough I suppose, I just like to see a bit of England above all else in my defenders. Stuart Pearce, Terry Butcher etc. Carragher wrote (more likely allowed to be written) that it hurt more when Liverpool lost than when England did in his autobiography and for me, even if you think that, you don't allow it to be said.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Ashley Young is a pretty shocking omission, what did he do wrong exactly?

Capello just doesn't seem to fancy him. Which is odd when he has more assists and more goals than all of his direct competitors for a wing spot over the last two seasons.

What I seriously don't understand is the inclusion of all the uncapped players. Why do we play friendlies then Fabio? Sheesh.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Carragher wrote (more likely allowed to be written) that it hurt more when Liverpool lost than when England did in his autobiography and for me, even if you think that, you don't allow it to be said.

Actually, being a Liverpool fan, I'm disappointed Carra's going to the world cup. I want him fit and rested for next season.

If it's a choice between England winning the World Cup and Liverpool winning the Carling Teacup, I'd choose the latter :)

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Apparently two people turned Capello down, Scholes to spend more time with his family and Zamora to spend more time with his surgeon. He's having something done to his achilles presumably straight after tonights final.

I know there's a lot of guys in there who do score goals at club level, but if Rooney is injured, or fails to recapture his form of a couple of months ago, then I think goals will dry up. I just can't see the others scoring enough to progress very far.

RB

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Interesting if he did try and call Zamora and Zamora declined. Shame for the lad he's injured in that case.

Very interesting if true about scholes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom