Can't wait, hope it's gonna be worth it!

A

Aurora

I ordered EVE from Game and it should arrive tommorow I hope...this is my first foray into MMO games and it all seems a bit overwhelming atm lol....was going to buy the strategy book Game were offering but gave it a miss as I'm sure there is just as many tips on the net....what is the manual like that comes with the game tho, any good as a reference? or just another few page affairs like most these days. I'm not sure what I'll set my characters up as yet, so many possibilities it seems

I bought Freelancer a couple of weeks ago and altho a good game its MP was very disapointing, all private servers with restrictions on player numbers and most of the time hardly anyone on plus the SP has become a bit repetitive :(....don't get me wrong tho, I know EVE seems to be a bit boring to start with but looks to have a great long term hook if you progress enough from what I can see and brings the 'Elite' type game bang up to date and more I hope!, as I like more long term strategy type games and don't mind paying a sub. Never got into other MMO's like EQ, UO as they just weren't my style of game, I like the space based stuff.

Anyway, a big Hi to all :D

J

Johnny Bravo

Hi there :)

IMHO Eve is very much like a MMO version of Elite, with the small difference in not having to manual dock until you can afford a docking computer and also no twitch fighting. There is however a HUGE universe to explore, trade and live within. The graphics are very nice and once past the original mining for money bit there is a host of stuff to do and immerse yourself in.

The manual is more than a few pages but however is very far from extensive. Although you probably don't need a manual that tells you everything and anything as part of the fun is finding out for yourself. It does give you background information and some stats etc to help set up a character and decide on how you want to progress.

I have seen the prima guide and to be honest it doesn't offer any more than what can be found on the net both at the official site and some of the fan sites linked from there.

As can be expected in a game of this size there a few bugs (some show stoppers) that are cropping up but CCP are workng hard to minimize and in general things are good.

Hope you enjoy the game and loko forward to seeing you in Eve :D

A

Aurora

Cheers for the welcome

Yeah, it's what I thought, getting the guide book would not be worth it, have been browsing the forums here and at other sites and there is a lot of good info out there.

Another thing is how are u all here in the UK doing with lag, etc...I read somewhere the server cluster is in London so that sounds good, better than the usual US servers for some games I've had to put up with in the past...I'm on ADSL after years on dialup so hoping it runs smooth.

I'm expecting to come up against some bugs as it seems the developers are still ironing things out but that seems par for the course these days for games this big...still can't wait to get into the EVE universe tho.

And also, not sure but does everyone who's a noob start in the same solar system for whatever race you join or are you placed randomly somewhere?

Cheers

C

Custy

Just a few notes.

This game is designed to be playable on a 33K dialup modem and runs smoothly on my ISDN so you wont have many/any probs on your ADSL (apart from the occasional times when the servers go bezerk).

A word on bugs, a lot of client side bugs can be fixed by going to your EVE folder, cahce and deleteing the file prefs.ini

You don't start in the same solar system but there are a few n00b regions, not sure if all the n00b regions are close together in the universe of eve or not. In each region is a number of Constellations and in each constellation there are a number of solar systems. Your starting preferences will choose which region/system you start in.

Once you have started you will have to mine for a long time (if you wanna make real money fairly fast), this is boring and repepetative but hang on cuz it gets so much better.

Oh yeah and here is a tip because i have to tell people this in game every 5 mins, if you wanna buy anything from the market in game and the prices are bad or the station you are at doesn't have what you want, set the buy range a bit larger until you find what you want, but if you buy something at a station your not at you will have to go and pick it up. So be careful when setting the range to region cuz you might be buying something quite a distance away.

If you don't understand something click help in game and type your question into the EVE oracle, a lot of people underestimate this, i think it is fantastic. :)

anyway just my 2 cents worth, it probably doesn't make sense but its early :p

A

Aurora

Cheers for the tips and the link:)

Well the postie delivered it not long ago, Am going to install it and reg in a little while altho I think they have a server maintinence hour about now don't they 11am - 12 so might have to hold off for a bit...will let u all know how I get on :)

Users who are viewing this thread