Whats it all about....

J

Johnny Bravo

A bit of an obvious n00b question I know, but I've looked at the official web site and even had a look at the box in Game, but have yet to work out exactly what the game is about......are we talking freelancer only better?

Is it all flying space ships or is there any getting out of your ship and interacting maybe shooting a few people etc......answers on a postcard or simply reply here :D

E

envenom

you can't get out of your ship because you basicly a pile of goo seriously you create a face for your ship lisence only heh the game is about being what you want really weather its Pirate/tradesman/miner and many other things but you will have to mine for a good few weeks to get anywhere good.

T

tris-

seems like freelancer online to me :(
edit: also what is the monthly fee?

E

envenom

usual £8 and no its not freelancer rofl freelancer is a kiddies game compared to this theres so much to do in a corp you can actually build your own space stations and control a system theres loads of possibilites

E

Embattle

Which expand due to updates to the game world.

T

tris-

hmm well its sounding better by the minute, do you need a top class PC to play it or is a low end gamer pc gonna be enough?

E

Embattle

Hmm time to have a bath and read the manual, a first ever ;)

T

tris-

copy n pasted from dxdiag -

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.1GHz
Memory: 448MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
Display Memory: 64.0 MB
Description: DirectSound (SB Live! Wave Out [DC00])

J

Johnny Bravo

Originally posted by n3wbie
hmm well its sounding better by the minute, do you need a top class PC to play it or is a low end gamer pc gonna be enough?

Do you know thats the funny thing, I saw the box in Game as I said and yet it had to minimum specs on the back as usual and no mention of monthly subs or anything......very weird ;)

T

tris-

Originally posted by Johnny Bravo
Do you know thats the funny thing, I saw the box in Game as I said and yet it had to minimum specs on the back as usual and no mention of monthly subs or anything......very weird ;)

well maybe cos game is getting it a month early or what ever it is then it may just be a placeholder case till the proper release to all the shops.

T

tris-

also, i cant seem to find a UK website, does this mean you have to pay to an american site and play american servers?

J

Johnny Bravo

Originally posted by Embattle
Hmm time to have a bath and read the manual, a first ever ;)

I guess your a shower kinda guy then ;) :D

C

Custy

The min specs are very low,

I think they go something like this

600mhz cpu
GF2
64mb Vidioram
either 128 or 256 mb ram (dunno which)
and wait for it, 33.6K modem... WTF

Aye, you can run this baby smoothly apparently on a 56K. Don't be surprised tho since this game has perfect predetermined alogorithm tabels, and since this is basically point and click, not much info has to be passed between client and server (eg position of joystic)

Im getting it on thursday (payday)

T

Tom

The servers are all over the world, but yes you pay in dollars when u sub. The actual company is based in Iceland I think.

Your computer will run eve fine, it has a minimum resolution of 1024x768, I run in 1280x1024 so I can run EVE as a window, and browse the web etc while I'm playing (I'm playing right now).

There is a steep learning curve, but everybody is very friendly. Please note you don't just mine, you can make your money by trading, performing missions, being a pirate, etc.

Later on in the game, if you join/create a corp, you manufacture stuff for other players, ships, guns, anything really, and you can make packets if you find a niche. You can also have wars!

T

tris-

i love steep learning curves, i like to learn new stuff and if something is too easy your gonna lose interest fast. btw, i heard bad things that to move you must point and click, now i never played a game where you point and click to move so isnt it pretty tedious having to click all over the place to move i.e. do you click as much as an RTS game? and in fights, is it pretty hard to move and fire like that?

T

tris-

ah crap looks like they dont accept visa electron or any types of debit card :(

X

Xtro

Bought it yesterday, steep learning curve is right.

I've done the first agent training mission and am wondering wtf to do now.

Feel a bit lost tbh :0

E

envenom

mine lol i have'nt done the agent missions yet but then again my ship does'nt have any offensive weapons lol

E

Embattle

Damn just had the screen go black with my cursor still showing?

T

Tom

i love steep learning curves, i like to learn new stuff and if something is too easy your gonna lose interest fast. btw, i heard bad things that to move you must point and click, now i never played a game where you point and click to move so isnt it pretty tedious having to click all over the place to move i.e. do you click as much as an RTS game? and in fights, is it pretty hard to move and fire like that?

N3wbie, when fighting, your computer locks onto the target, and you click your gun 'on'. Your gun will fire at the target until u click it off, or you run out of ammo (if your gun fires ammo). You can set parameters by right clicking the target (such as - keep at range xxMetres, orbit, etc), you can also buy and train certain skills to give you the edge in battle (like evasive maneuveres (bah spelling) skill)

O

Olgark

seems like freelancer online to me :(
edit: also what is the monthly fee?

Its nothing like Freelancer. Imagine Elite online but with a market that is entirely run by players and guilds are corperations that can in time buy their own solar systems and have a levy on them and the space stations in that system or they can just shut it off from everybody else so they have to find another route.

Freelancer is a twitch game Eve is a game where you need a bit of forethought into what your doing and where your going.

Users who are viewing this thread