Can't replace brake blocks - bolts jammed.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Trying to replace cantilever brake blocks of an old 2nd hand bike with new ones. Managed to replace one but I simply cannot undo the bolts of the other three. Each bolt is difference as the place I brought it from just takes parts from random bikes.

I've tried wd40 and all the other basic stuff; hitting it, turning from the other side etc. but no luck.

I even left wd40 over 5 days for it to fully immerse in the bolts but no luck.

The bit that is jammed is what the brake block 'screws' into, which then connects to the brake wires.

It's frustrating as the bike runs like a dream but where they used different cantilever brake blocks from different bikes, they had worn down at different rates, leading to squeaking etc. when I braked.

Thanks for any advice!

Chilly

Balls of steel
those are normally alan key bolt heads. You tried turning the pad itself and not the bolt end or both at the same time? Worst comes to worst you can replace the levers themselves, but that's cost you. It might be better to take the levers off entirely to do the removal also?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Hacksaw the bolt off (I'm presuming its the nut you cannot undo). The new blocks should have their own bolts, set into the block.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
You tried that release stuff? I forget the name, its a thinner liquid than WD40 GT85 etc

Or do what Tom says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom