Help Cant open IE

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Russ has ballsed up her lappy, her daughter was using it and saw some pr0n, so she freaked and went into Tools > Internet options > Security, and maxed up her security settings

Now she cant get IE to work, it opens but then shuts down by saying 'internet explorer has stopped workig' it just keeps shutting down. She went back in and set everything back to default. I got her to turn off the firewall and reboot the laptop and router, but its still not working

Windows update did a update to IE9 whilst this was happening, so she is online, but IE is not letting her go anywhere, its too secure

Any clues

Cheers

Ed

Edmond

Ford, she cant open any IE page, she cant get to microsft down load pages, it wont let her

nath, system restore was from about 7.30pm, the problems started b4 that

Edmond

the system restore is uninstalling IE9 atm, but the problems started earlier than that

Is there a log for SR that you can go back to a paticular point?

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Doesn't IE work with default settings in safe mode with networking?

Edmond

She has set everything back to default, but no joy. How do you put a lappy in safe mode when yo boot up, is iut the same as a pc, do you hit one of the F keys?

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Or try to launch IE in safe mode - in Windows 7 Search for Internet Explorer and choose the No Add-ons one. See how that does before trying in full safemode.

Edmond

Shes using Vista, but it wont go into safe mode, it just keeps fully re booting?

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Not sure why F8 wouldn't work, but if you run msconfig, in the boot tab there is a checkbox for safemode, you will just need to remember to uncheck it again when you are done.

Edmond

She's in safe mode now, it just booting up

Edmond

still no joy, i will try to go round and look at it tomorrow

Thanks for your help chaps

russell

FH is my second home
Did various system restores and found out that my 'safe mode' button is F12?! Then i came across the 'reset internet explorer' option -went for that -seems ok now? Thanks guys -much appreciated. I am such a dim wit -like to press buttons instead of asking first -So how do I let my daughter cruise the internet safely -without kicking all this off again??
LOVE YOU ED XXX

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
-So how do I let my daughter cruise the internet safely -without kicking all this off again??
LOVE YOU ED XXX
I find this is a good starting point.
OpenDNS | Internet Navigation And Security

What you do is setup a profile and then punch the DNS settings into your router. Assuming all your computers pick up their network settings by DHCP from the router, all your computers run their lookups through OpenDNS. You can then log in to the profile and blacklist sites by category or on an individual basis.

On my little angel's netbook, I run K9 Web Protection.
K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filter and Parental Control Software | Free Internet Filtering and Parental Controls Software

It's a piece of handy parental control software that not only allows you to allow or block sites by category, but also set times they're allowed to access the net. Do you have a problem getting them off the internet at bedtime? This literally slams the door closed at your specified time.

The beauty of this setup is that even if she somehow circumvents K9, she'll still need to go digging in DNS settings to bypass OpenDNS, and your normal Joe Public doesn't know about that sort of thing. Security by obscurity. :)

Edmond

Did various system restores and found out that my 'safe mode' button is F12?! Then i came across the 'reset internet explorer' option -went for that -seems ok now? Thanks guys -much appreciated. I am such a dim wit -like to press buttons instead of asking first -So how do I let my daughter cruise the internet safely -without kicking all this off again??
LOVE YOU ED XXX

To be fair, it was Ford that did the work, not me

russell

FH is my second home
Yes, but you had to listen to me bleat on for over an hour and you had to put up with me and the trouble makers today.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Forget all of that, install Windows Live Family Safety 2011

OpenDNS is a good plan but if your having problems sorting IE it'll come back and bit you in the bum someday.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
-So how do I let my daughter cruise the internet safely -without kicking all this off again??

just let her see everything. after a while she will be as bored and jaded as the rest of us, so it will take something *really* obscure to set her off.

Edmond

so it will take something *really* obscure to set her off.

What like, if she see's a pic of you with your beenie hat on?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
maybe. personally I can't really think of something of a magnitude that would set me off. I guess that actually says lots of bad things about me, but hey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom