Cant delete something!

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Ok, so I have a small problem here, I was downloading a torrent of something then found i didnt need it so cancelled it cleared all the torrent stuff away and such but the file that it had started to download onto my desktop just wont delete. It says that it is beingu sed by another person/program type thing when I try to delete it.. but I dont think it is :( Can anyone help? thanks :)

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Cozak said:
Ok, so I have a small problem here, I was downloading a torrent of something then found i didnt need it so cancelled it cleared all the torrent stuff away and such but the file that it had started to download onto my desktop just wont delete. It says that it is beingu sed by another person/program type thing when I try to delete it.. but I dont think it is :( Can anyone help? thanks :)

Kill the the process associated with the torent application. (stop the torrent app from running)

Influenza

Part of the furniture
Cozak said:

Try starting your computer in safe mode and deleting it?

http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

Cozak

Part of the furniture
I tried uninstalling azureus completely then deleting it and it didnt work, I then tried to delete it in safe mode and got the same message that I got when trying in normal mode :(

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm, safe mode should be able to remove it as suggested. Hmm... try moving the file off your desktop to somewhere less 'active' like the root of your C drive, it probably wont let you move it, but its worth a shot.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
its a longshot...
my guess its a virus of somekind and there is something in the registary, you'll need to find it in the registary, although it should be able to to be deleted in safe mode regardless...

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Try this first.
Go to your desktop in Explorer (My Computer -> C:\documents and settings\<username>\desktop (assuming your windows install is on your C: drive obviously).
Go to View, then Choose details and uncheck all the boxes except 'name'. Click OK then close all the open windows and try deleting it again.

If that doesn't work then reboot to safe mode.
Open a command line console,
Close Explorer in the task manager.
Delete the file from the command line console (del desktop\filename.extn).

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I'd also do a virus / spyware scan and clean if I was you.

If you got probs after dL stuff from the internet, don't take chances.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Requiel said:
Try this first.
Go to your desktop in Explorer (My Computer -> C:\documents and settings\<username>\desktop (assuming your windows install is on your C: drive obviously).
Go to View, then Choose details and uncheck all the boxes except 'name'. Click OK then close all the open windows and try deleting it again.

man now u made me miss DOS again :( *starts looking for his win 95 CD* :)

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Requiel said:
Try this first.

The first one didnt work :( Im having a little trouble with the 2nd one.. I can follow your instructions ok (I think) but the file name is a little tricky, please dont ban me for trying to download this :p

microsoft - microsoft office xp(word,excel,powerpoint etc etc)

the commas seemed to just end the line so i was getting the message (cant remember it exactly)
cannot find c:/documents and settings/chris/desktop/microsoft_-_microsoft_office_xp(word
so i tried to replace the commas with _ but that didnt seem to work either was getting something like:
cannot find c:/documents and settings/chris/desktop/microsoft_-_microsoft_office_xp(word_excel_powerpoint_etc_etc).extn

Im probably doing something silly here which is messing it up, if so please tell :) thanks for all the help so far as well guys, much appreciated. the bugger will be blasted to the recycle bin soon!

atos

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Try this first.

Agreed, that always works. :p

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Cozak said:
The first one didnt work :( Im having a little trouble with the 2nd one.. I can follow your instructions ok (I think) but the file name is a little tricky, please dont ban me for trying to download this :p

microsoft - microsoft office xp(word,excel,powerpoint etc etc)

the commas seemed to just end the line so i was getting the message (cant remember it exactly)
cannot find c:/documents and settings/chris/desktop/microsoft_-_microsoft_office_xp(word
so i tried to replace the commas with _ but that didnt seem to work either was getting something like:
cannot find c:/documents and settings/chris/desktop/microsoft_-_microsoft_office_xp(word_excel_powerpoint_etc_etc).extn

Im probably doing something silly here which is messing it up, if so please tell :) thanks for all the help so far as well guys, much appreciated. the bugger will be blasted to the recycle bin soon!

If I read right replace .extn with the actual file extension :p

so probably .rar or .zip whatever it is.

also cant remember the name of the program but once used something that could unlock stuff thats in use by right clicking the file, was pretty handy would also delete stuff on reboot etc.

tried googling for it but cant find it :<

Cozak

Part of the furniture
Yeah I thought that I tried it with exe also but I got the feeling I have done something wrong with the commas :(

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Dunno if name completion works if your having trouble spelling. You used to be able to do something like:-

del desktop\micro*.* to delete all files starting with micro

you can also change read/write status with attrib, used to come in v handy in old dos days..

something like 'attrib -r micro*.*' to make all files called microetc writable (from memory).

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Found the program I was on about earlier give it a try its quite a useful tool to have handy, from what I can see its a trial version or old version but should hopefully sort your problem for you.

http://www.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/bin/moveonb.exe

"GiPo@MoveOnBoot

Copies, moves or deletes files and folders on the next system boot. The utility is very useful when the user needs to replace or delete files which are locked by other applications, loaded into the memory or just cannot be changed until next system boot."

Cozak

Part of the furniture
sorted .. thanks Yeke the program worked great, and thanks everyone else for the help :)

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
normally you can avoid using 3rd party programs to delete files by running 'msconfig' from your command prompt. That will allow you to disable/enable all programs and services that run when your PC boots. Even after you have removed this file it would be a good idea to use it to check to see what is actually being started up on your PC when it boots. Lots of people have all kinds of nasties (or just plain redundant programs) running without knowing.

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Cozak said:
sorted .. thanks Yeke the program worked great, and thanks everyone else for the help :)

:D np mate glad it helped.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I have my hard drive setup for 2 partitions, i have a folder (daoc one funnily enough) which cant be opend/moved/deleted in safe mode, sometimes when i click on it i recieve "This drive is not formatted, do you want to format". I select No obviously and all the rest of the drive is fine.

my folder's location is thus

d:\games\Daoc Stuff

How do i use the command prompt to delete that?

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
I have my hard drive setup for 2 partitions, i have a folder (daoc one funnily enough) which cant be opend/moved/deleted in safe mode, sometimes when i click on it i recieve "This drive is not formatted, do you want to format". I select No obviously and all the rest of the drive is fine.

my folder's location is thus

d:\games\Daoc Stuff

How do i use the command prompt to delete that?

rmdir /s "D:\games\Daoc Stuff"

This command will delete the "daoc stuff" directory and all subdirectories and files in it.

ur hdd is shagged by the sounds of it though.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Mojo said:
rmdir /s "D:\games\Daoc Stuff"

This command will delete the "daoc stuff" directory and all subdirectories and files in it.

ur hdd is shagged by the sounds of it though.

Thanks Mojo :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom