Can you scratch my back? My third arm can't reach it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveyJones

Fledgling Freddie
Vodkafairy said:
lol @ the people whining

How about you fuck off until you manage to write something decent about the topic (genetical modification)?

Oops for a second I forgot this is fh, nm, whine away :rolleyes:

You seem to whine just enough for everyone.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Wake up? Adari is claiming he knows almost everything on this subject and for all we know he does. You're however claiming that he's wrong and you're right, that makes you a hypocrit and a child doesn't it? He doesn't want to be educated on the subject, he wants to share his perspection of the topic and discuss it with others.

He obviously doesn't know everything about the subject, or he wouldn't be quoting information from Greenpeace. I never claimed that I was absolutely right, just that he was wrong in his basic premise, therefore I am not a hypocrite, and I am most certainly not a child. By the tone of your post, you sound like you are a child.

Adari never said he doesn't know the pro's afaik, he doesn't have to post everything... if anyone disagrees its up to them to find pro arguments to counter adari's >.<

I believe I have, and I have only scratched the surface. You however, have revealed nothing new, other than some opinions based upon ignorance.

What is it that you want anyway? Lecture about how to discuss something or what?

Please don't presume to question my right to post on these boards, I've been around these parts much longer than you have, and dare I say it, contributed much more.

Adari

Part of the furniture
Tom said:
All I'm saying is that your basic argument is flawed. You insist you know everything there is to know about the subject, when plainly your posts show that you know only what you want to know.

OF COURSE I ONLY POST WHAT I WANT TO KNOW, IT'S NOT MY TASK TO COUNTER MY OWN FUCKINg ARGUMENTS, IS IT NOW?

JESUS CHRIST

WFT IS THIS? A DISCUSSION ABOUT A DISCUSSION? FUCK OFF.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Also, what on earth is 'perspection'?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Adari said:
OF COURSE I ONLY POST WHAT I WANT TO KNOW, IT'S NOT MY TASK TO COUNTER MY OWN FUCKINg ARGUMENTS, IS IT NOW?

JESUS CHRIST

WFT IS THIS? A DISCUSSION ABOUT A DISCUSSION? FUCK OFF.

Please refrain from shouting. You only make yourself look stupid.

What I'm trying to say, although I've said it enough and you plainly don't understand, is that your argument is flawed. Respond to that, rather than blurt your inability to converse with somebody who plainly knows more about the subject than yourself.

If you continue making insults, this thread will get closed, and that can hardly be my fault can it?

Adari

Part of the furniture
Tom said:
Please refrain from shouting. You only make yourself look stupid.

What I'm trying to say, although I've said it enough and you plainly don't understand, is that your argument is flawed. Respond to that, rather than blurt your inability to converse with somebody who plainly knows more about the subject than yourself.

If you continue making insults, this thread will get closed, and that can hardly be my fault can it?

I'm not gonna search for your arguments between your pathetic rant about greenpeace and what I should or should not do.

If you have something to say then say it without whining about things that do not matter to you personally anyway.

Like Sissyfoo,

bring back Sissyfoo.

Go away Tom, we don't like you.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Adari said:
Go away Tom, we don't like you.

No, you don't like me. And frankly I don't care, because its got nothing to do with the topic you posted.

So far, you haven't posted anything that can contradict what I have said about genetic modification. Why is this? I thought you knew everything about the subject?

Please educate me.

Ulrych

Fledgling Freddie
Genetic Modification:

Well the human DNA structure is being/has been mapped (I forget how far along this process we are), we've (the human race) worked out what SOME of the genes do, through trial and error, observation and experimentation.

I don't see it as a bad thing. Heart valves are already being made for patients with holes in theirs. Skin-grafts can be grown from cells from a burns victim.

Why not eliminate the things that adversely affect the human race?
Evolution is a series of mutations. Not to mention survival of the fittest. Basic biology teaches you that the species we have today are there due to mutations and adaptation. They've found their niche and can exploit resources better than the ones they have outlived.

I believe the human race's 'niche' happens to be intelligence. This allows us to exploit our curiosity. Which leads to technological evolution.

If we can control our own evolution, we would basically be upgrading ourselves. Which can't be a bad thing :)

Increased muscle power (although, I think we will have other technological means for strenuous tasks), increased brainpower, lung capacity, general health would be marvelous.

I don't think the apoclyptic view will come to pass.

Its all about trial and error. Someone mentioned (more or less) 'why not let someone else come up with a solution so we don't ruin ourselves?', well that wouldn't come to pass as techniques are derived in the main from trial and error, and based on other peoples findings.
Not to mention accidents. Penecillin (sp) was discovered by accident. Its the basis for a lot of modern medicine.
Scientists will perform experiments and suchlike in a secure environment to start with, so its not likely that an outbreak of Armageddon proportions is about to happen.

Anyway thats me done for now, I've probably wandered a bit while writing this, but I hope I have conveyed my thoughts behind Genetic Modification :)
These are my views. Based on what I've read, what I've seen and what I know. I don't know it all, but I am comfortable with my opinion.

Adari

Part of the furniture
Tom said:
No, you don't like me. And frankly I don't care, because its got nothing to do with the topic you posted.

So far, you haven't posted anything that can contradict what I have said about genetic modification. Why is this? I thought you knew everything about the subject?

Please educate me.

Cos you haven't said anything now have you?

And we don't like you!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Don't expect to post a discussion thread on FH and then censor who is allowed to post their comments in it. Adari, if you want a private discussion with Sissyfoo, the fucking PM him. Rest of you stop stirring the shit - it's an interesting subject, a decent OT thread if we can keep the crap out of it.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Is this the royal 'we'? ;)

A debate or discussion should be the free exchange of ideas.

I think Tom's opinions are pretty valid and interesting...when he isn't slugging it out with you. ;)

pez

Can't get enough of FH
theres no problem with you debating the issues Tom but it was a nice discussion before you rode in on your high horse and started insulting Adari

Tom

I am a FH squatter
What I find insulting is some people's failure to see the logic behind my posts. Adari is basically saying "Here's what I think, now discuss". What I'm saying, is "You're wrong, discuss". How people can possibly get confused about this, I don't understand.

Adari has still not responded to my observations on GM, all he has done so far is to insult me, blither on in capital letters, and tell me to 'fuck off'.

Who is insulting who here?

pez

Can't get enough of FH
the superior tone of your initial post and then you continued implication that adari was childish in his views and the way he formed his opinions i would consider insulting and at the least unneccessary

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
Also, what on earth is 'perspection'?

A typo, smartass. Should have said perspective.

And adari was right about the we, since I don't like you either, your tone is very arrogant and it seems like you feel like you're superior to other people just because they don't use your made up rules of having a discussion.

You must think you're really a great man, corner stone of fh, but feel like that somewhere else if you can't participate in this thread normally.

If you want to reply to this just send a pm, stop fucking up this thread more than necessary ok? :twak:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well if you consider it insulting for me to point out how I believe Adari is wrong, then this discussion is moot.

At no stage has he attempted to counter my arguments about his 'theories'. He has also told me to 'fuck off', and to 'go away we don't like you'. All of which adds to my opinion that he knows very little of what he purports to be an expert on.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Just genetically modify your head so it can hold two brains instead of one.
What is it that you want anyway? Lecture about how to discuss something or what?
zzz tbh
lol @ the people whining

How about you fuck off until you manage to write something decent about the topic (genetical modification)?

Oops for a second I forgot this is fh, nm, whine away
Stop being so god damn thick, he knows more on the topic than just the greenpeace bullshit, but he happens to share their opinion.

I would like to have a debate with you about anything, I'll laugh my ass off if you give 100% true info on BOTH sides of the subject.

bbl

So far, you've made one post on the subject matter, which I don't entirely disagree with. I don't particularly care if you find me arrogant. You haven't yet been able to respond to any of the arguments I made about GM, instead you've resorted to insults and flames. I'm not going to PM you, since its pointless arguing with schoolchildren.

What I would like is for this discussion to continue, but without the pathetic name calling and idiocy that has taken up the last 2 pages. I've been quite polite about all of this, I've repeatedly asked that you talk about the original post, but so far only a few people have bothered.

I therefore conclude that this thread will get closed soon (unfortunate), and that when you can't think of an intelligent response, its very big and tough to insult people over the internet. Obviously I'm lacking in that respect.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Tom said:
Well if you consider it insulting for me to point out how I believe Adari is wrong, then this discussion is moot.

i'm not saying that, but if you want to get a less hostile reaction theres much more mature, constructive ways of having a debate.

Address his points, counter argue - actual evidence is a real bonus

rather than say 'you're so naive you haven't read all the facts'

say "read through this article www.nopronlinksplease.com It has alot of interesting points you may not be aware of. what do you think about the evidence of so and so?" at the least you could paraphrase.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
This topic started off quite nicely...shame its totally fucked and off course now. :(

Should be closed and restarted when some maturity breezes through onto this forum. :/

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
Now I'm not saying that Greenpeace is somehow wrong in all this, but like anything or anybody else, they are far from perfect. They object to a technology like GM because of the 'unknown side-effects' and because 'its unnatural'. They casually fail to mention how GM crops would benefit farmers in the 3rd world, and boost the economies of those 3rd world countries. Also, by printing mis-information, they promote the banning of GM foods and products in developed countries, thereby excluding the 3rd world from trading those crops.

Like I said in my first post, afaik you need special firtilisers for GM crops and the market for those is a monopoly. Also the ground will be ruined for "normal" crops if you don't want to use the expensive firtilisers anymore. I'm not sure about all this, been a while since we had info on this subject so sorry if I'm wrong.

Myself, I really don't mind genetic modification. I'm of the opinion that mankind's ability to adversely affect this planet is vastly overstated. A nuclear war would lead to total devastation, but such things have happened before, and this planet is still teeming with life. Even a worst-case scenario such as a genetically engineered family of viruses (sp?) destroying all life on earth would be far-fetched, there are places on this planet where life exists, that we cannot observe (bottom of the ocean, landlocked and ice-covered sea in Antarctica). Anyhow, I don't believe genetic modification could lead to any of this.

To be honest I don't care if some organism under the ice in Antarctica manages to survive a disaster like that. Won't do much good for us really :)

I don't think we're really talking about anything that large scale though. Just think of the ethics, it's not right to tamper with a living being if we don't know the risks. Ruining the life of anything with feelings = wrong. No matter how you twist and turn it, it's wrong. We can't sacrafice one man, or a million men, to save a billion people. Not if those people don't have the choice, which they don't.

And if GM on crops indeed fails, and the wind spreads it, alot of people will be in serious trouble. I don't think it's worth the risk.

You seem to think that scientists are somehow irresponsible by nature - you couldn't be more off the mark.

True, but scientists are payed by people with a goal in mind. A goal that usually means making money, I don't want a firm experimenting with life just because they want to be rich :/

Hence my statement in my first post... only let scientists develop GM from a non-commercial point of view and be extremely carefull. And don't ruin innocent lives :(

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
So far, you've made one post on the subject matter, which I don't entirely disagree with. I don't particularly care if you find me arrogant. You haven't yet been able to respond to any of the arguments I made about GM, instead you've resorted to insults and flames.

1- Since when is making a little joke forbidden?

2- I replied to your post which was basically a copy of my first one, you didn't really have any arguments I hadn't wrote my views on in the first post so what are you talking about?

3- It was you who started being childish and told Adari how to "get on a path that leads to wisdom" or whatever, so you are a hypocrit in my eyes whether you like it or not :rolleyes:

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Closed as it's pointless trying to mod it back on track. If you have an issue with it being closed Adari, I might suggest PMing VF rather than me.

FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom