can somebody explain triphop?

pjuppe

Fledgling Freddie
i never got a hang on what this really was. as far as i've had it explained that it's a poppish tune with a hiphop beat often instrumental or sung but a female vocalist, which to me sounds quite great. but the problem is that i've never been able to find any recommendations other that portishead and a few others. ofc i could be worse off but i would still like to hear more :)

anyone got any tips?

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
I think The Crystal Method fall under Trip Hop, they're fantastic too.

Debaser

One of Freddy's beloved
Trip-Hop in general, or music that fits the 'poppish tune with a hiphop beat often instrumental or sung but a female vocalist' description?

...or bands like Portishead? (give up now, nobody can satisfy that thirst)

I'll try for the description criteria:

Massive Attack's 'Unfinished Symphony' is the obligatory first. From the album that I guess started it all, 'Blue Lines.'

Tricky has collaborated with a few female vocalists, 'Aftermath' & 'Pumpkin' are both favourites of mine, from his debut album, 'Maxinquaye'

Which brings us to...

Martina Topley Bird & Alison Goldfrapp.

I haven't heard much of Topley's work beside what she's done with Tricky, but I do recommend Goldfrapp's album, 'Felt Mountain.'

'Lovely Head' is a must from that album, listen to it.

Lamb are also worth a listen, 'Gorecki,' is a great song. If you like it, delve deeper.

Air might also be worth a listen too. 'Moon Safari' is my favourite album (for 'Talisman' alone) and tracks that fit your description are possibly, 'All I need,' & 'You make it easy'

Archive's first album, 'Londinium.'

Terranova, ‘B-sides & remixes’

I can't think of anymore really, off the top of my head. Trip-Hop can be interpreted to be different things, depending on your particular tastes. I tend to prefer the trippier aspect than the hop, which is why i prefer, 'Mezzanine' to 'Blue lines.' ('Teardrop' from Mezzanine is another suggestion) and I tend to class bands as different as Mum & Cinematic Orchestra as trip-hop too, while others might not.

http://www.triphop-music.com/

Good luck.

ohohoh, thought of another band, Morcheeba. Track down, 'The Sea.'

Good luck.

pjuppe

Fledgling Freddie
Sharma said:
I think The Crystal Method fall under Trip Hop, they're fantastic too.

thx for the tip. any special album or songs you can recommend for beginners? =)

Debaser said:
Trip-Hop in general, or music that fits the 'poppish tune with a hiphop beat often instrumental or sung but a female vocalist' description?

...or bands like Portishead? (give up now, nobody can satisfy that thirst)

i'm kinda interested in all of the above :) although bands/songs fitting the descriptions would be my first choice =)

Debaser said:
I'll try for the description criteria:

Massive Attack's 'Unfinished Symphony' is the obligatory first. From the album that I guess started it all, 'Blue Lines.'

Tricky has collaborated with a few female vocalists, 'Aftermath' & 'Pumpkin' are both favourites of mine, from his debut album, 'Maxinquaye'

Which brings us to...

Martina Topley Bird & Alison Goldfrapp.

I haven't heard much of Topley's work beside what she's done with Tricky, but I do recommend Goldfrapp's album, 'Felt Mountain.'

'Lovely Head' is a must from that album, listen to it.

Lamb are also worth a listen, 'Gorecki,' is a great song. If you like it, delve deeper.

Air might also be worth a listen too. 'Moon Safari' is my favourite album (for 'Talisman' alone) and tracks that fit your description are possibly, 'All I need,' & 'You make it easy'

Archive's first album, 'Londinium.'

Terranova, ‘B-sides & remixes’

I can't think of anymore really, off the top of my head. Trip-Hop can be interpreted to be different things, depending on your particular tastes. I tend to prefer the trippier aspect than the hop, which is why i prefer, 'Mezzanine' to 'Blue lines.' ('Teardrop' from Mezzanine is another suggestion) and I tend to class bands as different as Mum & Cinematic Orchestra as trip-hop too, while others might not.

http://www.triphop-music.com/

Good luck.

ohohoh, thought of another band, Morcheeba. Track down, 'The Sea.'

Good luck.

thanks for all the recommendations, i'll try to find some when i get home. i've already come in contact with the goldfrapp album and yes, it's a great listen. although the followups (the little i've heard) was a huge disappiontment =(

and ofc lamb, one of my absolute favorite bands, just didn't know that they could be considered trip-hop =)

i guess i have to give air another listen, but as i remember it i've dismissed all of their songs except for ''sexy boy''.

the others i'll have to see if i can find something with. thx again for the recommendations :)

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
pjuppe said:
thx for the tip. any special album or songs you can recommend for beginners? =)

Hrm, well I'd reccomend "Trip Like I do" and "Magic Carpet Ride" ("Vegas" I think?)from their first album, from the second (Tweekend) I'd reccomend "Name of the game" and "Murder".

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I really wouldn't call Crystal Method TripHop.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Which is why I said I was unsure.

I reckon they do though, isn't exactly hip hop, nor is it really industrial. Crystal method seem like an amalgamation of numerous different styles and i'd say a lot of their stuff falls under the Trip Hop category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom