Can anyone help me witht this prob?

O

old.Morph

I've had my CM from Blueyonder for 2 weeks now and it works a treat,

but

whether I use w98 or ME, I can never do a windows 'restart'. 'Shutdowns' are never a problem, but restart, forget it. I've never used my reset button so much!

Anyone else had the same problem, or have any ideas what could be causing this?

P

Perplex

ok, a few things to try:

a) go to win98 update site and get the "shutdown patches"

b) go to start | run | type "msconfig" Then enable/disable the "fast shutdown" option

Also, out of curiousity, what equipment are you using.
  • Which cablemodem brand/model have you got
  • Is the cablemodem connected via USB or an ethernet NIC?
  • What brand/model is the NIC?

O

old.Z3r0Ki77

Man ur lucky u got cable.
I told my estate agent I'd only move in if I could have cable, and they said ok...
3 days after moving in 6 cable guys turn up at my door and none of them install.... the landlord eventually refuses and now I'm fucked... someone mentioned something about DSL so I may get that.
As long as there are no extra cables or modifications to the internal structure or external structure of the building.

P

Perplex

errrrm...what changes to the structure? they slap a wire into the house, and put a teeny tiny little box on the wall, phone socket sized.

Your landlord is being a cunt and needs a swift kick in the nads to set him straight

P

Perplex

btw...just tell him you want cable TV (this uses the exact same wire and wall box) He can't say no to that :)

O

old.Z3r0Ki77

Ya I wanted cable TV internet and Phone, ya I know u get a phone with ur net connection.
And they need to dig up the roads, I got the go ahead from Telewest last night it will cost them £900 quid, and now I just have to wait for a reply from the freeholder, I can't be fucked to wait 3 mnths for ADSL

O

old.Longshanks

BLOODY HOMECHOICE

Oh!!! great I visited the Homechoice website shoved in my postcode (Brilliant) ADSL is available in your area please contact homechoice now!!!!!

I gave them a ring (nice little sort answered the phone) she said I will send all the details through the post. Next day they arrive on the mat I filled the contract out only to recive a call the same night saying "sorry sir ADSL cannot be installed in your home"!!!!!
I would'nt mind but I only live in bloody Romford!!!!!

Can anyone suggest who else I could try?

I'm so cheesed off!!!

O

old.Z3r0Ki77

Bloody BT, all I wanted was a 56k last night, they didn't put my line in 'cos my Step daughter(who incidentally is one year younger than me) wasn't at the house.... fucking bitch.
So now I have to wait for my landlords permission to get the cable installed.

P

Perplex

Originally posted by Z3r0Ki77
'cos my Step daughter(who incidentally is one year younger than me)

Interesting, you married an older woman?

O

old.Z3r0Ki77

Ya I'm 18, and my step daughter is 18 in march.
My fiancee(ok so I'm not married yet, but close), is 35+

O

old.Longshanks

I USED TO WORK FOR BT SO I KNOW WHATS ON THE INSIDE....THEY DON'T GIVE A TOSS ABOUT THERE CUSTOMERS.......ONLY THE ONES WITH SHARES.

I HATE THEM. A FRIEND OF MIND HAD AN ACCIDENT ON A BT SITE TOTALY BT'S FAULT.. HE GOT £2000 COMPENSATION AND WAS ALSO GIVE THE PUSH....

BY THE WAY GOOD LUCK TO THE FELLOW WITH THE OLDER WOMAN I BANGED A 45 YEAROLD WHEN I WAS 20 ........BEST SHAG EVER.

P

Perplex

Longshanks...see that key on your keyboard that says "caps lock"...fucking press it

O

old.Z3r0Ki77

Yeah I phoned up BT 6 times, Swore at the third operator, got put thru to a supervisor by the 4th, phone ran out of charge.
By the 6th I got a supervisor... and he pushed my installation a few days forward, from Friday to monday(today).

W

Wij

They do that but then don't turn up anyway. Wrong type of leaves on the phone-line or something. Yep, BT couldn't give a toss about customers.

O

old.^OL^Hirogen

Cable Modems

I`ve had my cable modem, from Telewest also, for a couple of months now and by God is life sweet now I have it :)
One tiny hint I would give to anyone is this , if you are putting a cable modem in DO NOT use a 10-20mbps network adapter. Use a 10-100mbps card as it allows you to use more of your bandwidth, I know it made a difference for me.
My average ping is now between 25-40 depending on how busy the server is.

P

Perplex

Re: Cable Modems

Originally posted by ^OL^Hirogen
I`ve had my cable modem, from Telewest also, for a couple of months now and by God is life sweet now I have it :)
One tiny hint I would give to anyone is this , if you are putting a cable modem in DO NOT use a 10-20mbps network adapter. Use a 10-100mbps card as it allows you to use more of your bandwidth, I know it made a difference for me.
My average ping is now between 25-40 depending on how busy the server is.

a) I've been in the IT industry for several years...and I've never heard of a 10-20mbps NIC, or an ethernet standard running at 20mbps.

b) Using a 10-100Mbps NIC makes absolutly no difference, and it is nothing more than an old wives tale. Want to know why? Because your modem and NIC communicate on 10mbps...not 100mbps. If you force your NIC to communicate at 100mbps...the modem doesn't respond.

Also, your connection is 512Kbps...the NIC is at 10240Kbps (10mbit). Your ethernet connection between NIC and CableModem is already 20 times faster, than your connection to the internet. Making it 200 times faster (102400Kbps/100Mbps) will make absoloutly no difference whatsoever.

Sorry to piss on your fire

(editied due to shit maths:)

[Edited by Perplex on 20-03-01 at 01:02]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom