Camel Spider/Toe

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I love spiders, if I find one inside I gently take it outside. If its raining or cold it gets put in the utility room or the shed so it doesn't die.

But fuck me I don't like the look of camel spiders. Samm works for a company that supplies air con and this requires them to send generators around the world. When they come from desert places, like Iraq etc they have to be searched to make sure none of these monsters are hiding inside, once or twice they have been chased by them...and I mean chased.

They are nocturnal and they crave shadow in the day, so if you happen to uncover one it will run (at 10mph) at the closest shadow, which is more often than not YOUR shadow, so the more you run the more they chase. They can also jump up to 3 foot.

A guy at poker last night knew a bloke who was in the army, he was posted in the far east and one night one of his mates woke up screaming, apparently a camel spider had climbed on his face, injected its anaestheic and had eaten away a good chunk of his features.

For those who are interested do a you tube search for them. A small clip -

YouTube - Spider camel eats - il ragno cammello mangia

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
urgh that is disgusting :(. I don't like spiders at all, but I am unable to kill them either :(

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
I love spiders, if I find one inside I gently take it outside. If its raining or cold it gets put in the utility room or the shed so it doesn't die.

But fuck me I don't like the look of camel spiders. Samm works for a company that supplies air con and this requires them to send generators around the world. When they come from desert places, like Iraq etc they have to be searched to make sure none of these monsters are hiding inside, once or twice they have been chased by them...and I mean chased.

They are nocturnal and they crave shadow in the day, so if you happen to uncover one it will run (at 10mph) at the closest shadow, which is more often than not YOUR shadow, so the more you run the more they chase. They can also jump up to 3 foot.

A guy at poker last night knew a bloke who was in the army, he was posted in the far east and one night one of his mates woke up screaming, apparently a camel spider had climbed on his face, injected its anaestheic and had eaten away a good chunk of his features.

For those who are interested do a you tube search for them. A small clip -

YouTube - Spider camel eats - il ragno cammello mangia

The 10 mile an hour bit is true and they are ugly nasty fsckers, but they don't have any venom (well those ones don't) and i don't think they can jump. The bite can be nasty though, but only because they're particually strong and can cause deepish ragged wounds.

Gray

FH is my second home
I've heard a lot about Camel Spiders. I absolutely hate spiders regardless, but those fuckers are horrible.

I remember seeing one from Iraq or Afganistan, which was two Camel Spiders "joined" together. I think there was a specific myth about them too.

camel_spider_sm.jpg

The spider that scares the royal shit out of me though is Huntsman Spiders, holy fuck.

YouTube - Massive Huntsman Spider -- Advanced Loving Kindness Meditation

I sometimes wish i lived in a different country, but christ, im glad we dont have any spiders like those in England.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
i'm fine with house spiders etc, but if one of these bad boys was running at me, i think i'd shit a brick

Trem

yes. it's not a spider.

They are sometimes called Camel Scorpions but I am fairly sure they are a spider.

They are like what bursts out of the stomachs in Alien.

The 10 mile an hour bit is true and they are ugly nasty fsckers, but they don't have any venom (well those ones don't) and i don't think they can jump. The bite can be nasty though, but only because they're particually strong and can cause deepish ragged wounds.

They have no venom but the ones in Iraq (afaik) have some sort of anaesthetic.

The bit about them chasing you for your shadow made me laugh though, how fucking much of a panic would that put you in? :D

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus

I'm afraid that's an urban legend Trem, everybody I met in the forces seems to have known this particular soldier as well. They can jump though, they're supposedly called camel spiders because they travel long distances by attaching themselves to a camels undersides. They're also believed to be a hybrid scorpion/spider because they have ten legs also the front two act similarly to pincers.
I did a lot of research because I hate spiders and thought there was a good chance I would encounter one. In fact I did encounter a dead one in the wiring of a truck that came back from Iraq.

Literally just today my friend who's in Afgan lost his pet camel spider to his pet scorpion in what can only be described as a desert version of fight club. He's posted a few pics on facebook lol.

Trem

I'm afraid that's an urban legend Trem, everybody I met in the forces seems to have known this particular soldier as well. They can jump though, they're supposedly called camel spiders because they travel long distances by attaching themselves to a camels undersides. They're also believed to be a hybrid scorpion/spider because they have ten legs also the front two act similarly to pincers.
I did a lot of research because I hate spiders and thought there was a good chance I would encounter one. In fact I did encounter a dead one in the wiring of a truck that came back from Iraq.

Literally just today my friend who's in Afgan lost his pet camel spider to his pet scorpion in what can only be described as a desert version of fight club. He's posted a few pics on facebook lol.

Hah! But slightly sad.

Yeah I just read about the face eating thing, apparently that is bullshit.

Lots of myths about them but the following is true -

Camel spiders top speed - 10 mph. Which is very fast for a such a small creature..

Size: Up to 8 inches, although many of our readers report larger.

Called camel spiders because they live in the desert.

Camel Spiders are solpugids.. Along with spiders, they are members of the class Arachnida.

Nate

FH is my second home
One of these escaped from the local zoo recently :D was found dead a day or so later :(

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
@ grays vid: i was expecting it too move suddenly and scare the shit outta me. and i would fill my pants if i saw anything like these spiders.

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
eurgh, horrid. poor Vae will have a heart attack if he opens this thread

Fast

Part of the furniture
This thread is crawling! man, some scary spiders those. Wonder what happens if it catches you this 10mph spider, does it run up your body and go for your face? that would be a tad scary :D

Everz

FH is my second home
So after reading this thread i'm checking everywhere in case and get the feeling something is crawling on me..

ty.. i fucking hate spiders.

Marc

FH is my second home
So after reading this thread i'm checking everywhere in case and get the feeling something is crawling on me..

ty.. i fucking hate spiders.

hahaha im doing that too!

Trem

I swear to god you would know if one of these bad boys was on you.

Lethul

FH is my second home
That guy who had his face chewed upon most have known a hell of a lot of people! :)

Trem

I'm thinking of half-life - you know the mobs I mean ;)

Yeah those things that jump out the vents at you, they are very similar.

Damini

Part of the furniture
As someone who is going on honeymoon to Australia, I have to say this thread is deeply horrible.

Aada

Part of the furniture
When I was in the army we used to get a bunch of these and some of the scorpions that live thee and make them fight it was pretty brutal. I know a few people who have been bit one guy had his arm bit it swelled up so much he had to be air lifted back to the uk that day.

Very vicious spider it's not posionous but it's fangs just rip stuff to bits.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
A friend and his gf are traveling to Australia this summer and staying for 6 months. We share the same fear for spiders and insects but obviously its not stopping him.

I sure as hell would not like to wake up and find a giant spider winding itself down towards me from the ceiling. It has happened two times already but they were only smaller ones but still :(

I think i'd be too paranoid when going to sleep there.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
When I was in the army we used to get a bunch of these and some of the scorpions that live thee and make them fight it was pretty brutal. I know a few people who have been bit one guy had his arm bit it swelled up so much he had to be air lifted back to the uk that day.

Very vicious spider it's not posionous but it's fangs just rip stuff to bits.

Glad to hear that armed forces are still full of pig-thick retards. It's a real comfort.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
As someone who is going on honeymoon to Australia, I have to say this thread is deeply horrible.

relax Damsors, I've camped out in WA, and it was quite bearable insect wise. ofc there were times when wearing a fetching fly net was necessary to prevent flipping out and causing death to everyone near me, but that was about it. There were areas where there were so many flies that they even came to eat the ones we killed, but strangely there were places where no flies were about at all. Ofc there was this thing that camped out under our camper one day, sharks languidly swimming by when you've just been snorkling and the odd dingo encounter but other than that, no really big insects, sorry. Except for that big moth I had to chase out of the camper one night. I thought it was a bat at first. Oz is otherwise awesome imo, you'll have a great time :D

Nate

FH is my second home
At least you know what your up against now rather then when it's climbing up your bed post Damini!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom