calling all scandinavians

Z

Zill

Originally posted by baphomet
I live in Denmark, I have also visited Norway, Sweden, Finland and most other Western Euuropean countries actually.

Anyway, I found Finland prety dull TBH, and the Cities to have a very "Eastern block" feel to them, I.E. pretty run down.

I only visited the southern part of Sweden, but even though it looked nice enough, I didn't think it was that interesting.

Denmark isn't really that exciting either.
I guess Copenhagen is OK, but the "Legal smoking district" someone else here referred to (being Christiania), is NOT a legal smoking district. The police raid it like any other place and if you get caught with drugs there, you'll get busted like anyone else.
I visited there about 1 year ago and the police were there in force (they were doing a raid).

Norway however is well worth a visit, I found it a truly beautiful country, a must see, although it's probably the most expensive of the Scandanavian countries.

If you're heading down towards Holland and the capital Amsterdam, I guess it's interesting enough, but it's pretty sleazy.
I would imagine a native of Holland would be able to tell you more about it.

Christiania, boy that brings back good memories ;)

M

Maljonic

Isn't it only tourists that say Amsterdam is sleezy, because they only visit the sleezy part?:)

T

Tenko

These all sound very nice places but you should just come to England!

Honestly if you fancy it, a biking holiday in NW England would be excellent. Cycle round the lakes for a couple of days then hit Manchester for some really solid drinking :)

Come on over 100,000 students can't be wrong, can they?

This message was brought to you buy Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce.

B

baphomet

Originally posted by [ROT]Maljonic
Isn't it only tourists that say Amsterdam is sleezy, because they only visit the sleezy part?:)

I resemble that Comment...... oops. :eek:

B

baphomet

Originally posted by Zill
Christiania, boy that brings back good memories ;)

Yeah, it's quite an experience there, and the raids don't happen that often, you have to be pretty unlucky to be around when one happens.
Sadly the Danish parliament is currently discussing possibilites to change a lot of how things work there.
I have a feeling Christiania's days are numbered.

Z

Zill

Originally posted by baphomet
Yeah, it's quite an experience there, and the raids don't happen that often, you have to be pretty unlucky to be around when one happens.
Sadly the Danish parliament is currently discussing possibilites to change a lot of how things work there.
I have a feeling Christiania's days are numbered.

When I was there I remember it was always a good place to relax and chill out, and I never saw any police raids. Im going back a bit to 1995-6 though, maybe it's diferent there now as I haven't been there since.

It would be sad if they closed it :(

Z

Zill

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
righto, we're going to Copenhagen, and we're taking the ICE to get there :)

anybody living nearby do feel free to come and meet me and my mountainbike buddy Max, as we'll be in Denmark from the 17th up to the 22nd. requirements are the ability to consume beer :)

If you're anywhere near the Tivoli gardens, there's a good pub near there called Rosie McGees. I pulled in there ;). My flat was down Vesterbrogade no 72 just down the road from it. There's also an English themed pub called the Underground, about 30 minutes walk from the Tivoli gardens through the shoping centre.

And make sure you visit Christiania :)

Have fun.

U

uncle_sal

Originally posted by SFXman
Err...
Tampere rocks m'kay?

No not really... trust me... i have spent last 10 years in "nightlife" here...

O

old.Tohtori

Finland in summary:

Helsinki: Capital. Nightlife central if that's your cup of tea. Not much "special" finnish things to see since the city is more towards the "US" way of things, Mc Donalds is a common site along the trendy coffee shops.

Turku: Don't go there :p

Tampere: A little brother of Helsinki so to say. Not as much nightlife but compensates with the "best" carneval in finland, with dolphins and such and also by having more "interesting" sites to see.

Oulu: Between Lapland and Tampere as an example. Oulu has the nightlife of Tampere but still among the people you see the rough nature of lapland. Oulu has more "exiting" scenes to see then Tampere and Helsinki.

Lapland(not a town, part of finland): Go finnish, go raw... this is a brutal place to go with virtually no nightlife, except for a few nightclubs here and there. Staying in one town in Lapland is not the way, you have to run around the cold mosh covered moose.

Other towns and places are but you'd need a little town to tell about them all. There's a few.

U

uncle_sal

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
Finland in summary:
Lapland(not a town, part of finland): Go finnish, go raw... this is a brutal place to go with virtually no nightlife, except for a few nightclubs here and there. Staying in one town in Lapland is not the way, you have to run around the cold mosh covered moose.

Ever been for example at Levi in Lapland... and then say no nightlife? Skippl know how to party... although that is of course only for a season and summertime the whole Lapland is sort of dead...

O

old.Tohtori

Yeah i didn't meantion the ski resorts for a reason. Those places ofcourse have excellent nightlife but it's kinda said in the resort part allready :p

EDIT: And because i think their not open for long anymore.

T

Testin da Cable

woo cool, keep it coming :) we leave tomorrow, 8am. 8am! aarg :/

O

old.Tohtori

Leaving at 8am and you hopefully know where? :D

T

Testin da Cable

hehe yeah, arnhem central station. at least I know which booth sells the best coffee. the ICE leaves (well, is scheduled to leave) at 08:14, and we're supposed to roll into copenhagen central around 17:00.
find a youthhostel as quick as we can to dump our kit, then get something to eat and a decent bar to hang out in depending on when the city starts to go into evening mode

S

SFXman

Originally posted by uncle_sal
No not really... trust me... i have spent last 10 years in "nightlife" here...
Hrm.
YO-Talo = kick-ass imho, on the good nights that is... (e.g. Big Pop)
Let me see... me being 18 I also love the "lihatiski" (place in a store where you get meat :D) which is actually called Senssi.
Those are just my two favorite locations.

T

Testin da Cable

it was fun. I may even shove some pics online (if my mate max gets off his hairy arse and hurries up with the scanning heh)
scandinavian women == win!!

S

SilverHood

hey, thats what we said all along yeah?

shame they like foreign blokes more though... if only I could perfect this damn surrey accent and go back :p

T

Testin da Cable

all of the damn place :mad:

sorry, I'm in a terrible mood. there *may* be some places about that do not suck, but it's a slim chance :/

M

Maljonic

is it possible to uproot and live somewhere else?

M

Maljonic

isn't hating the place where you live enough? Or do you mean you need incentive towards the place you could move to?

T

Testin da Cable

well, the only reason I'd move to Copenhagen is because theres an 80% girls_tdc_likes() coverage while holland has a mere 30 :/

apart from that holland sucks. the more I go abroad and/or meet peeps from other countries, the more I realise it :mad:

O

old.Gombur Glodson

Leave our women alone!

/em fends Tdc off with a broom

B

baphomet

Originally posted by old.Gombur Glodson
Leave our women alone!

/em fends Tdc off with a broom

I got one of your Danish Women :p

T

Testin da Cable

I got three. I can't help it if I smell right :(

O

old.Gombur Glodson

You may have one and only one, and she has to be ugly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom