calling all scandinavians

T

Testin da Cable

as these forums seem to have lots of them ;)

I need a little holiday help0r!

My mate and I both have an extra long easter weekend off, and we thought that we'd go somewhere and have some fun!

we're mulling Ireland (again, but last time was cool), Greece, Scotland, Portugal and Finland over atm.

For some reason going to Finland seems pretty cool, but as I've never been there I'd like some advice as to accessability of (cheep) hotels/hostels/campsites for sleeping and cool places to go and see cities/monuments/musea/nature stuff. Oh, yeah, after oding on natural museums we also like to go out heheh ;)

Also, if it's like...*not* a good idea to go there...better places to go see?

thanks in advance!

T

Testin da Cable

great! why? cultural hotspots? free beer? having to keep teh girls off you with a stick? tdc requires more info!

O

old.Gombur Glodson

depends on how much time you have

T

Testin da Cable

5 days or so, starting this wednesday.

M

Maljonic

beer costs about 2 or 3 times as much in most Scandanavian countries, not sure about Denmark which might be a bit cheeper due to it's location. Copnhagen does have a cannabis, legal, smoking district and a nudist area; if you're into that sort of thing. Also you can easy bez off to Holland or Germany.

O

old.tRoG

Come Scotland!

Come Scotland now!

Sorry, been watching to much Weebl & Bob.

T

Testin da Cable

I live in Holland mate :)

we just got a €220 return flight to Helsinki quoted on the internet. hmmm :)

edit: heheh twoggy :) Will wants me to go to scotland too :)

M

Maljonic

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
I live in Holland mate :)

we just got a €220 return flight to Helsinki quoted on the internet. hmmm :)

edit: heheh twoggy :) Will wants me to go to scotland too :)
Oh, I didn't know that, puts a whole different perspective on it then; are you Dutch or just living there?

F

Fafnir

Well if you goin to Helsinki you can always do a 2day trip to Stockholm on one of the big party boats. Cheap beer and lots of sweet girls, on them, and a mixed variety of people. And tickets/cabins cost from 20-200 Euro. Depending on what cabin you take, ontop of that is the tax free beer, and good food. All you can eat and drink for 18 Euro per smörgåsbord :)

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by [ROT]Maljonic
are you Dutch or just living there?

I'm half dutch and half scots :)

Originally posted by old.tRoG

Come Scotland! Cheap booze!

I know, I know!!

Originally posted by Fafnir

All you can eat and drink for 18 Euro per smörgåsbord

hmm that and sweet girls? hmmm :)

S

SilverHood

Copenhagen is damn nice :D

btw, avoid Oslo at *all* costs.
Has to be *the* most boring capital city I have ever been to.

T

Testin da Cable

sooo...

Helsinki: +
Stockholm: +
Copenhagen: ++
Oslo: --
beerprice: ---
food: +
girls: ++

any places I should go / things I should not miss?

F

Fafnir

sooo...

Helsinki: +
Stockholm: +
Copenhagen: ++
Oslo: --
beerprice: ---
food: +
girls: ++

any places I should go / things I should not miss?

For me its

Helsinki ++
Stockholm ++
Copenhagen +

Beer in sweden cost between 2.5-5 Euro depends on what brand, and where you go, but normal price in 4.5 Euro. Booze normally costs around 1.2 Euro per CL. Same prices in Helsinki.

S

SilverHood

if you go to Copenhagen, don't miss the "vatican type" inner area, christania (spg?).
It has sepeate laws to the rest of Denmark, and is quite a nutty place.
Plenty of stuff to do during the day, and plenty of stuff during the night too.

Whip out the fact that you're foreign and the girls will go "oooh and ahh". Prolly applies to all of scandinavia.

Z

Zill

Go to Copenhagen.

I lived out there for 8 months and had a great time. Plenty of clubs, theatres, bars (which stay open all night), friendly people, historical places of interests. I would think the Tivoli gardens should be open this time of year which is good to visit.

K

kr0n

as these forums seem to have lots of them ;)

I need a little holiday help0r!

My mate and I both have an extra long easter weekend off, and we thought that we'd go somewhere and have some fun!

we're mulling Ireland (again, but last time was cool), Greece, Scotland, Portugal and Finland over atm.

For some reason going to Finland seems pretty cool, but as I've never been there I'd like some advice as to accessability of (cheep) hotels/hostels/campsites for sleeping and cool places to go and see cities/monuments/musea/nature stuff. Oh, yeah, after oding on natural museums we also like to go out heheh ;)

Also, if it's like...*not* a good idea to go there...better places to go see?

thanks in advance!

Well hmm, bout Finland...

Depepnds on how much time you have to spend in Finland. Of course Turku, Helsinki, Tampere, 3 great cities in southern Finland, Rovaniemi and Oulu in the northern. Lappland in the winter is something you should definatly visit, nice place in the summer too if you dont mind 24/7 daylight.

There are a lot of places to visit, but I think the biggest cities hold the best places.

I have no idea bout cheap hotels, but there are a lot of camp sites. Usually pretty cheap. Just ask around and someone will guide ya. Fins dont talk much, so beware.

And the stuff about knives, aint true ;)

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Berlin!

Ve have zem East German zere... a bit like going to the zoo.

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by SilverHood
if you go to Copenhagen, don't miss the "vatican type" inner area, christania (spg?).
It has sepeate laws to the rest of Denmark, and is quite a nutty place.

no it hasn´t gotten different laws than the rest of denmark, they just ignore the laws ;)

and police don´t do that much about it because it´s a hopeless situation ;)

S

SilverHood

Originally posted by Addlcove
no it hasn´t gotten different laws than the rest of denmark, they just ignore the laws ;)

and police don´t do that much about it because it´s a hopeless situation ;)

ok, my mistake :p

T

Testin da Cable

righto, we're going to Copenhagen, and we're taking the ICE to get there :)

anybody living nearby do feel free to come and meet me and my mountainbike buddy Max, as we'll be in Denmark from the 17th up to the 22nd. requirements are the ability to consume beer :)

S

SFXman

Damnit, you should've come to Tampere, Finland. Sweet bitches and great bars/clubs.
I myself never go to museums etc. etc. etc. when I visit other countries. If I did go now since I've turned 18 I'd just find out about the nightlife :D

B

baphomet

I live in Denmark, I have also visited Norway, Sweden, Finland and most other Western Euuropean countries actually.

Anyway, I found Finland prety dull TBH, and the Cities to have a very "Eastern block" feel to them, I.E. pretty run down.

I only visited the southern part of Sweden, but even though it looked nice enough, I didn't think it was that interesting.

Denmark isn't really that exciting either.
I guess Copenhagen is OK, but the "Legal smoking district" someone else here referred to (being Christiania), is NOT a legal smoking district. The police raid it like any other place and if you get caught with drugs there, you'll get busted like anyone else.
I visited there about 1 year ago and the police were there in force (they were doing a raid).

Norway however is well worth a visit, I found it a truly beautiful country, a must see, although it's probably the most expensive of the Scandanavian countries.

If you're heading down towards Holland and the capital Amsterdam, I guess it's interesting enough, but it's pretty sleazy.
I would imagine a native of Holland would be able to tell you more about it.

T

Testin da Cable

hehe no worries, I know all about Amsterdam as I've lived there.

my mate and I are just looking to get away from it all for a few days. we don't really need a spectacular holiday, just some fun looking around a different country, a taste of a different nightlife, different nature, different culture.
if there's time left we may even ferry over to Sweden for a day or two if it's not too expensive.

btw, that link to copenhagen.com rocks. thanks SilverHood :)

U

uncle_sal

Originally posted by SFXman
Damnit, you should've come to Tampere, Finland. Sweet bitches and great bars/clubs.

In which Tampere, Finland u live? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom