Call of Duty 2

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Put on your tin hat and prepare to re-enter the WWII arena as Call of Duty 2 hits finally reaches our shores today.

You can snipe dozens of enemies out of the windows and from the trenches in front of a house, for example, but reinforcements replace them. It never feels as though the game is cheaply spawning in more fodder for you; it just does a great job of making you feel like there are a realistic number of soldiers holed up in a building. You need to get a feel for the flow of each pitched battle, and this can be done by advancing your line when the enemy ranks look thin enough, and then breaking into the house or bunker. Your allies will follow you in and help you clear out the objective. Of course, if you're too meek at attacking and pressing your advantage, the enemy AI is wily and aggressive enough to take charge - Gamespot Review

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Oh god I have an urge to buy it, someone stop me :(
Quake 4 should have taught me all the lessons I need !

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I've got 9 DVD collectors editions coming in Throd, for myself and a couple of mates :) I'll let you know what it's like!

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Please do m8, much as I want to, Quake 4 was such a disappointment I dont think I can bring myself to !

TdC

bah, they haven't arrived. maybe tomorrow :mad:

Embattle

FH is my second home
Wow Q4 really that bad....glad I didn't buy it then.

I saw CoD2, AoE3 and Civ4 toady and decided to give Civ 4 a try.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
I've played it 2 hours already, yikes.
After 1-2 Russian levels you can then choose to play more Russian levels or play British.

As British theres
some tank levels where you control a tank, quite fun.

Its quite arcadey though as you can quite often charge as long as you quickly duck for your health to come back.

Its quite repetitive, wait for them to pop up from a barrel and shoot.. the scripting is really obvious too.

Theres the odd level with like 50 - 100 enemy which is fun.

I dont know, it seems COD was more fun but I'll still play this to death its just more arcadey knowing its harder to die as your health comes back really quick.

Some of the levels are REALLY big too but then they make up for that with a flat plain texture.

I'll try MP later, I want to play as the yanks in SP first.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Oh some good points, some nice scenes from enemy at the gates in Russian campaign.

The battle chatter is actually helpful 'MG42 red building 2nd floor' handy when a sniper.

The animations are ace and its nice to see their breathe in the cold, its all you see when enemy are leaning behind a wall.

The AI is clever at throwing grenades at you as well as throwing back the ones you throw at them.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Er... MP better be good because I've finished SP already?!! Probably played it 6-8 hours.

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Stick the game on the harder setting, makes it last longer and very relistic apparently.

I'm going to grab a copy today, cant resist :/

Gemma the Dog

One of Freddy's beloved
but most important for MP

is that they have KillCam - god I love that feature - no more 'wft! how the hell did they know I was there!' becomes 'wft! how the hell did they...oh...I see...like that..." ;)

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Urg MP, it tells you when you hit the enemy :(
So I'm zoomed in with my gun and when I hit the enemy a white cross comes up :( VERY CONSOLE LIKE :(

Killcam was in COD so nothing new for that feature.

Gemma the Dog

One of Freddy's beloved
KillCam

yeah - I played CoD MP a lot - I'm just saying I've missed it when playing other games - it's a great anti cheat & anti camper feature if you ask me :)

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Just another camp and shoot FPS, but with prettier graphics than last time

TdC

ffs still haven't got my dvds :eek:

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
My PC won't run it yet so I guna wait for the 360 version.
Does look sweet though.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
i get a case of deja vu!

lots of the scenarios seem based on the same maps as COD1

Yaka

Part of the furniture
same ere alot CoD stuff yes looks nice but i got preety bored

TdC

yay! it's finally been delivered :eek:

TdC

throdgrain said:
Please do m8, much as I want to, Quake 4 was such a disappointment I dont think I can bring myself to !

Been playing SP a bit now Throd, and imo it's quite good. the level of detail is just amazing: there are flurries of snow (I'm in Russia atm), smoke from whatever source grenades, explosions, etc looks good -and better: when there is smoke your enemies can't still magically "see" you. Which is great imo. From screenies I gather there will also be rain and stuff later. Anyway, that stuff is nice imo. The textures are decent and the level of detail is quite good (I have everything on full though, with filtering set to AF, not the bilinear or trilinear option). The AI chars look and move like computer generated things though, not like motion-captured people.

Now for what I *really* like about it: it feels like chaos! It feels "real" in that aspect: remember what I said about the demo? Well, it's exactly like that. It's like an old warmovie. Imo there's a genuine feeling of running about and trying to stay alive. The Russian campain, where I am in now, manages to capture chaos, madness and confusion quite well in SP, though I must add I am playing in the highest difficulty setting so that may help it a bit. Your AI teammates aren't as thick as they seem in the demo, though they are't the brightest either tbh: they're still perfectly capable of kneeling directly in a sniper's field of fire and not getting out of the way. The baddies (and goodies) are quite vocal, so you'll be hearing lots of "cover me Ivan, I'm reloading!" and stuff, though that does get a wee bit irritating after you hear it for the umptheenth time. The AI does help a bit though: "fascists flanking on the left" or words to that effect. Kinda handy when you're about to pop up and toss a grenade.

I'm really not far into the game atm: just unlocked the English campaign tbh, but up to now I like it!

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
just finished SP - good in bits but boring and monotonous in others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom