Cakes for Teedles

Will

/bin/su
Because he wanted my tasty cake recipies. :)

Maderia Cake (Lemon Sponge)

240g unsolted butter
200g caster suger (plus a couple of spoonfulls at the end)
zest and juice of 1 lemon
3 large eggs
210g self-rasing flour
90g plain flour
23x13x7cm loaf tin

preheat oven to 170c/gas mark 3

Cream butter and sugar, add lemon zest. Add eggs one at a time with a tablespoon of flour. Mix in the rest of the flour (gradually is easier), then add the lemon juice. Butter and line tin, add dough, sprinkle top with 2 tablespoons of caster sugar. Bake for approx 1 hour.

Lovely with raspberry jam and a cuppa.

Moist Choc Loaf

225g unsalted butter
375g dark muscovado sugar
2 large eggs (recipe says beaten, I say it doesn't matter since you are about to mix them in)
1 teaspoonful vanilla extract
100g best dark choc, melted (the higher % cocoa the better, melt it in the microwave for a minute, check, maybe do it a little more)
200g plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (add to flour)
250ml boiling water
23x13x7 loaf tin

preheat oven to 190c/gas mark 5, put a baking tray on the bottom as this cake will overflow the tin

Cream the butter and sugar, add eggs and vanilla, beat well. Fold in the chocolate, be careful not to overbeat. Gentlely add the flour/bicarb mix spoon by spoon with the water. Add to a lined and buttered tin (really important, the cake will not leave the tin otherwise), bake for 30 minutes. Turn down to 170c/gas mark 3 and give it 15 more minutes. A knife in the cake won't come out totally clean, but it'll probably be fine. The cake will probably collapse a bit on top, it might not look that good, but it is a good cake. Think chocolate with the consistancy of good gingerbread.

Will

/bin/su
If you leave out the bicarb it'll be a lump of partially cooked dough, I expect. If you cut down the amount of bicarb it'd probably be even denser, but its stupidly dense already.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Why not just use self-raising? Is there a benefit to plain flour plus bicarb?

Will

/bin/su
Why not just use self-raising? Is there a benefit to plain flour plus bicarb?
I think there is less bicarb in the recipe than there is in self-raising flour, but I couldn't swear to it. Hell, there might be more. All I know is that it makes a very tasty cake, and I just follow the recipe.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I may have to buy a cake tin and give it a go :D.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
if you bake anything, you must post pics!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Gah, just realised I also need mixing bowls.

And thing with which to mix ingredients.

And scales.

And the ingredients.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom