Cables

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Howdy peeps. I need a DVI to HDMI cable. Anyone got any recommendations (brand, where to get em, etc.)

Cheers.

Noc0de

Can't get enough of FH
I recently bought one of ebay. I just made sure it was long enough and mentioned gold plating in the blurb.

Think I only paid ~ £5 inc p&p and it seems pretty good so far, does the trick nicely. Think the seller was called "island-online" if it helps, but there's loads on ebay etc.

Here's what I got.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi MYstIC G

I'd personally buy a proper HDMI cable and then get yourself a DVI adapter for one end. It may work out more expensive, but this way you can have more choice, and you won't need to buy a whole new cable if you ever upgrade your kit to a 'pure' HDMI solution (many new graphics card will start to ship with HDMI or DisplayPort outputs in the near future).

Kind regards

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Meg department 260 at work. cable is cheap and you get a discount on top :)

Oh and ot works just the same as the rop off £30 I got from maplins

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Gold makes a tiny....TINY difference, go buy a scabby normal one and man up you big fairy :eek:

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I actually did what Jonty said, and bought a hdmi-dvi converter + hdmi cbale, but with the cable in woolies costing around the same price as maplins charge for just the convertor, well....

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I had a look C, it's only 1m though, bit on the stingy side really, unless there's another one we do and I'm looking in the wrong place? :(

Jonty: Ta for the suggestion but I'd rather replace the cable, having adapters sticking out of sockets wouldn't work very well in the given location (converter on back of new PC already brings it forward 7-8cm which is annoying)

Brooky: Ta. I did have a look in local maplins, but the ***** had nothing but converters, no solid cable and were more expensive than that one on the website.

Noc0de: you're looking best bet atm, so thanks.

Trem: Wtf is that in your avatar?

Any / all other suggestions welcomed.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well have you got a normal dvi cable spare? So if you buy a dvi ->hdmi convertor, then the extra bulk goes into the back of your TV instead.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nope. Remember C, I'm about 3 years behind all your swift tech adoption :)

Yaka

Part of the furniture
mystic i got a dvi to hdmi adpator if you wwant it, just use a normal dvi cable with it

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It it ain't wearing spandex then G ain't intrested teeds.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
zomg! you're saying he spanked it to MC Hammer? o0

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Pretty hard to do while going "you can't touch this!"

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
It is indeed the faun, one of films best ever characters in one of the best ever films.

Bloody Meg can't take him anywhere :eek:

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Never heard of it.

Good news about the cable... don't think I'll need one for the moment as my graphics card decided last night that everything in sight must be a lovely shade of pink... :(

Noc0de

Can't get enough of FH
Never heard of it.

Good news about the cable... don't think I'll need one for the moment as my graphics card decided last night that everything in sight must be a lovely shade of pink... :(

Sounds like it's overheating? Or Gfx card's RAM is on it's way out :-o

Still, if you get it linked up to your plasma you can have a lovely shade of pink on that too :)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, sounds like the card is on the way out, check the cooling as fan may have stopped working. Even if that's the problem and you replace it, in my experience the card still dies relatively soonish.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Cheers chaps. I figured that's what you'd all say. Shouldn't be overheating at all as the system is cool as anything. So I'll just have to wonder why it's on it's way out try not to break stuff whilst enjoying FH in the lovely black shade it's in at the moment :(

Thankfully it's Mesh's problem.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Just return it, it's not your job to try to fix it or save it.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Indeed. Given my limited time, it's worked out buying a pre-built system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom