Cable Mode (BlueYonder)

• Thread starter old.RiGoRmOrTiS
  • Start date
O

old.RiGoRmOrTiS

Anyone used it? whats its performance like? getting one
fitted next week and just wanted to know how much money I'm wasting cos' telewest hardly ever get anything right.

O

old.Necro

Seems very regionalised. Some people seem to get the full 512 kilobits, others seem to get something worse tham a 33k modem.

WWW browsing (due to forced proxy on port 80) seems to be the most problematic area.

O

old.DNM

Poo Chunder

You have seen this URL I trust? http://www.youblunder.co.uk/ :) :)

Dunno why I'm laughing, it's being installed in my gaff tomorrow, though I'm keeping ISDN for the forseeable future just in case. Thing that irks me is that they've taken the £50+£33 out of my account some 3 weeks ago, and I haven't even got a service yet!! I can sense a lot of phone calls and letter writing in the near future!

O

old.DIABOLIC

oops

Ive had Blueyonder for a few months here in Southend Essex (Hi DNM!!). It was brilliant (30 pings etc) but now it is TOTAL CRAP! If you ever used BT0800 on a Sunday night..thats what its like atm. They say after the upgrades it will be ok (mid Oct)..It better be.

O

old.DNM

Well, have had it installed for 2 hours, and so far it's been total crappola. Looks like I'll be keeping my ISDN for a few months yet. :/

O

old.DNM

Update : It's not just crappola it's bordering on being my worst net experience yet. It's goddam awful FFS!

Lo Diab BTW.. :) Keeping that tyrant of a son of yours under control? :p

E

Embattle

I think what makes it so bad is because people expect so much out of it which in some cases it seems unable to provide.

O

old.DNM

No no, I knew it wasn't going to be too great, but didn't realise the extent of the state of their infrastructure! It will all be cool in the end I'm sure, but for now it lives in the bin. Good job I kept the ole ISDN :)

O

old.DIABOLIC

Well its improved tonight for most servers EXCEPT Barrys :(
Although im getting 30 pings to BW(cctf) I am getting a constant 40% Packet loss :(
Carry on the upgrades Telewest!
P.S. DNM.. Bluffs causing trouble?..naaah!

O

old.DNM

Well to be honest, I only use the BW RA3 servers, but usually am on Jolt RA3 anyway. I'm getting consistent 30-50 on Jolt servers, and it is soooooooooo smooth. :) Great pings to Demon UK servers too, and also spent an hour playing on on of the Demon NL CTF servers.

Download times are frickin' awesome too atm, let's just hope the further upgrades they plan really do lift the current routing lameage to BW servers. I want to play on those CCTF servers dammit! :eek:)

The nice thing to know is that it can and will (we hope) be a lot better than it is now.

O

old.brock landers

i live i wigan, lancashire and the service has been pretty shite for a week, BUT, now it is awesome, i thought it was fast b4 but downloads are twice as fast and i have solid sub 40 pings all the time no matter how busy the server gets, stick with it i say, have faith

O

old.MeddlE

The reason for the improvement is the equipment upgrade, which is also the reason for poor service for a week. A lot of people have managed to get a months rental refunded. But it is now way better than it was before, and it was good then.

O

old.DNM

R0x0r!

Yes I can definitely confirm that Blue Yonder does indeed rock hard. After an initially frustrating period it has smoothed out nicely. 30-40 pings to all UK servers of note, and 50 to some Dutch & German. Downloads are uber fast now, and I'm almost at the point where I can safely cancel my ISDN .. but not yet. :)

E

Embattle

I reckon Blueyonder will follow Redhotants way of doing things......service is good so pile more people on....service gets crap.....another upgrade.......pile more people on....etc etc

O

old.MeddlE

You'd like to think so Emb, but the infrastructure is far beyond the amount of people using it. The current structure would allow 60 houses in every street to have a connection and still deliver 512k. What they are actually proposing is an upgrade to 1Mbit soon, admittedly for an extra fee. 512kbit is £33per month and 1Mbit will be £50 per month.

O

old.Comatosed

The current structure would allow 60 houses in every street to have a connection and still deliver 512k.

Where did you get those figures from?
Last I heard the current upgrades were to increase peering bandwidth to 622mbit. Fuck all in the grand scheme of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom