C video tutorials

- English -

Resident Freddy
Sorry for the boring post people, but its mainly directed at programmers.

I was wondering if you know any video tutorials which are around and about. Found these really good, and the only ones ive seen are youtube and such. They dont get into any real dept about it though so i was looking for a more advanced solution.

Ovron

One of Freddy's beloved
Never really used any video tutorials for programming :s. Programming technique is not something one learns by watching someone do a "Hello World"-app in a video, and anything else is on the edge of being too "advanced" (I'd imagine).

Might not want the tips below, but here they come anyway ;p.

Read the material you got, get K&R if you havn't already, get some ANSI-C/C89/C99(C95) reference book(s).

Newsgroup: comp.lang.c (be careful posting anything not strictly C language in here, they bite :p)

A moderated FAQ of a published paper, and the above newsgroup: comp.lang.c Frequently Asked Questions (reliable as hell.)

Most reputable C-programming books won't teach you any programming techniques really (except sorting algorithms oO), but the actual language - there is much more to it than the syntax. This because they usually mean to serve as a reference.

Best is of course to learn the syntax, common "undefined behavior" traps (like trying to store a pointer in a different data type (e.g. char* is not same size as char) and then use it - might work, most likely won't - compiler and situation specific.) Use only the standard header collection at first. Learn to handle pointers properly - variable pointers, function pointers, pointers to pointers - custom structures as in/out arguments/parameters of functions as pointers (important if you want to move onto threading). Getting your head around pointers early ought to benefit. C

Summary: Read, try, try again, ask for help if you're stuck.

Post might be completely worthless, but ahwell.

C :clap:

- English -

Resident Freddy
Never really used any video tutorials for programming :s. Programming technique is not something one learns by watching someone do a "Hello World"-app in a video, and anything else is on the edge of being too "advanced" (I'd imagine).

Might not want the tips below, but here they come anyway ;p.

Read the material you got, get K&R if you havn't already, get some ANSI-C/C89/C99(C95) reference book(s).

Newsgroup: comp.lang.c (be careful posting anything not strictly C language in here, they bite :p)

A moderated FAQ of a published paper, and the above newsgroup: comp.lang.c Frequently Asked Questions (reliable as hell.)

Most reputable C-programming books won't teach you any programming techniques really (except sorting algorithms oO), but the actual language - there is much more to it than the syntax. This because they usually mean to serve as a reference.

Best is of course to learn the syntax, common "undefined behavior" traps (like trying to store a pointer in a different data type (e.g. char* is not same size as char) and then use it - might work, most likely won't - compiler and situation specific.) Use only the standard header collection at first. Learn to handle pointers properly - variable pointers, function pointers, pointers to pointers - custom structures as in/out arguments/parameters of functions as pointers (important if you want to move onto threading). Getting your head around pointers early ought to benefit. C

Summary: Read, try, try again, ask for help if you're stuck.

Post might be completely worthless, but ahwell.

C :clap:

thanks for the post!

I find programming videos really easy to watch and understand. Ive always prefered watching to reading so I may invest on some video material for this ;]

Laddey

FH is my second home
i was hoping you were gonna try argue back and i was gonna say; do u have to get your mum to buy u cigs now <3

No you assface! I'm 19! Big lad now. I thought i had a pube until i pissed out of it :(

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Learn what * and & mean and your good to go in C. Once you can handle pointers then everything else is fairly easy..

Unless ofc you want to code like this!

send(to, from, count)
register short *to, *from;
register count;
{
register n = (count + 7) / 8;
switch (count % 8) {
case 0: do { *to = *from++;
case 7: *to = *from++;
case 6: *to = *from++;
case 5: *to = *from++;
case 4: *to = *from++;
case 3: *to = *from++;
case 2: *to = *from++;
case 1: *to = *from++;
} while (--n > 0);
}
}

Utterly genious, even if it does make you want to poke your eyes out with big pointy sticks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom