Bye.

Silient

Loyal Freddie
Shadster here from Hib/Prydwen Celtic Fist member. leaving the game due to. my game acount was hacked some noob took all my stuff and i reported. i got a email today saying i will get nothing back as the acount was traded or i gave my password out.

1. game is shite if their gonna beleive i gave some one my pw's ?
2. how the hell do they know if i gave some one my password?

any way. all i can say is they is poor

and i hope you all the best in the game :)

Bye!!

Kraben

Can't get enough of FH
Sadly there is actually alot of ppl who do give out their passwords. GOA can only assume you did the same and eventually its only your word that holds you true. If ones word were enough people would make up all sorts of excuses as to why one should cheat or in this case denie sharing pw's with anyone. Note that im not saying you did and your loss is sad indeed..

Best of luck.

enkor

Can't get enough of FH
is that you wirey?...

anyway,

Pilosofus said:
Saw you in daoc.trade a few days ago. Any chance you gave someone the pass to your account?. Sounds a bit unlikely that someone hacked your computer, atleast that takes time and skillz (and i doubt he would have done it in prime time then) ^^.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Silient said:
Shadster here from Hib/Prydwen Celtic Fist member. leaving the game due to. my game acount was hacked some noob took all my stuff and i reported. i got a email today saying i will get nothing back as the acount was traded or i gave my password out.

Bye!!
Close. Because the account was traded and[/i] you gave your password out.
1: You are entitled to your opinion however we repeatedly warn about giving your password to people and the dangers of account sharing/trading. If you choose not to heed those warnings that's hardly the fault of the game.

2: Because you said so in logs. It's really not rocket science and contrary to popular belief we aren't stupid. We know that the account was recently sold, we know several players who have access to the account with your full permission. See point one.

Yes it sucks to lose all your stuff but it only happened because you allowed it to. You are the only person who can be responsible for your account security. If you won't do that then no-one else is going to do it for you.

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
How come some people dont get their stuff back even though not sharing but just getting hacked due to a GOA policy?

Not fishing for flamewar here serious question actually

Everz

FH is my second home
Chimaira said:
How come some people dont get their stuff back even though not sharing but just getting hacked due to a GOA policy?

because goa dont care? ;x

Mey

Part of the furniture
I think GOA Do a fantastic job, if tard's want to share PW's and not face the consquences then so be it!

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Prob because naughty peeps would take advantage of it.

But if that account was traded and passwords given out etc...not a lot of sympathy tbh - everyone knows it can easily happen in those circs...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
its like that little label on the bottom of your PS2 that says do not remove, warrenty void etc, nothing you can do if you break the rules, whatever peoples opinion on the rules.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Chimaira said:

Very few people get hacked. I can count on one hand the number of 'hacking' incidents I've investigated where there was no account sharing or trading involved. In all of those cases, the people got as much stuff as was possible returned to them. As I've said before, it's not realistically possible to 'hack' a DAoC account unless the owner makes it insecure first. We repeatedly give advice about securing your account and repeatedly warn of the dangers invovled in sharing or trading accounts and every few weeks a story like this pops up on FH so it's not as if there aren't enough warnings and cautionary tales about to alert people to the dangers.

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
Very few people get hacked. I can count on one hand the number of 'hacking' incidents I've investigated where there was no account sharing or trading involved. In all of those cases, the people got as much stuff as was possible returned to them. As I've said before, it's not realistically possible to 'hack' a DAoC account unless the owner makes it insecure first. We repeatedly give advice about securing your account and repeatedly warn of the dangers invovled in sharing or trading accounts and every few weeks a story like this pops up on FH so it's not as if there aren't enough warnings and cautionary tales about to alert people to the dangers.

I keep repeating myself since I got hacked myself and the acc got totally ripped. thanks to great friends and great people I dont even knew hook me back up on several characters. and the word from GOA was
Kemor[GOA said:
]However we dont give back lost/stolen items, Sorry for any inconvinience

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Chimaira said:
I keep repeating myself since I got hacked myself and the acc got totally ripped. thanks to great friends and great people I dont even knew hook me back up on several characters. and the word from GOA was

Yes cause you never shared an account in your life have you?

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
I feel for you dude but im afraid i would have to take Requiel word for it. I myself have had my acount haxed on 2 occasions due to letting my friend on a pc and him finding it via email, having someone log onto your acount and take all your stuff is really harsh but its all the owners fault, No goa cant give your items back but one thing they CAN do is identify what char/chars your stuff was transfered to.

End of the day if you give your password out or leave it on your pc where someone can even find it where they are just browsing on your pc, its your fault. Sad to see you leave the game over the matter when you can just find out the name of the char that your money or items was transfered to (unles goa do not do this anymore in which case im sorry)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Chimaira said:

Well as Requiel says, as long as you follow the instructions from GOA and dont:
A. Give our your password to *anyone* or
B. Dont keep it in a file on your computer named "daocpasseslolz" when you take it to lanparties etc or
C. keep your passwords on a web based mail account

then your account will not get compromised. You think someone would honestly hack (really hack) your computer for daoc passes? I bet you anything that 99.99% of the "hackers" that have stolen items and/or deleted characters and such from peoples accounts in the years since daoc started up have absolutely zero knowledge of hacking/cracking etc - they are just people that have misused other peoples trust. Possibly when the exception of people that install keyloggers at computers in netcafés (which is why i would never type a password for anything in a netcafé).

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
Well as Requiel says, as long as you follow the instructions from GOA and dont:
A. Give our your password to *anyone* or
B. Dont keep it in a file on your computer named "daocpasseslolz" when you take it to lanparties etc or
C. keep your passwords on a web based mail account

then your account will not get compromised. You think someone would honestly hack (really hack) your computer for daoc passes? I bet you anything that 99.99% of the "hackers" that have stolen items and/or deleted characters and such from peoples accounts in the years since daoc started up have absolutely zero knowledge of hacking/cracking etc - they are just people that have misused other peoples trust. Possibly when the exception of people that install keyloggers at computers in netcafés (which is why i would never type a password for anything in a netcafé).

Exactly.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Elkie said:
I feel for you dude but im afraid i would have to take Requiel word for it. I myself have had my acount haxed on 2 occasions due to letting my friend on a pc and him finding it via email, having someone log onto your acount and take all your stuff is really harsh but its all the owners fault, No goa cant give your items back but one thing they CAN do is identify what char/chars your stuff was transfered to.

End of the day if you give your password out or leave it on your pc where someone can even find it where they are just browsing on your pc, its your fault. Sad to see you leave the game over the matter when you can just find out the name of the char that your money or items was transfered to (unles goa do not do this anymore in which case im sorry)
now man that sucks, getting assraped by irl mate? -.-

Elkie

Can't get enough of FH
Huntingtons said:
now man that sucks, getting assraped by irl mate? -.-

well it ddnt bother me that much, i cant beat up a m8 over a game, he was new and just got 50 he should of just asked me to farm for him:p afterall i use to have 5 anis:p cba to pay 64 quid a month to keep em all open

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Silient said:

Bye!!

like i said on msn, if they say your acc is tradet why dont they ban it? Trading is against the COC an if they think you have tradet it should be banned..

elbeek

Part of the furniture
How many ways do people need it spelt out? DO NOT ACC SHARE.....not that hard to understand. The poster is yet another "typical" "omgzor goa so sux00r" blah blah blah.

Don't fucking blame other people when it's your own fault.

old.windforce

Part of the furniture
Requiel said:
Close. Because the account was traded and[/i] you gave your password out.
1: You are entitled to your opinion however we repeatedly warn about giving your password to people and the dangers of account sharing/trading. If you choose not to heed those warnings that's hardly the fault of the game.

2: Because you said so in logs. It's really not rocket science and contrary to popular belief we aren't stupid. We know that the account was recently sold, we know several players who have access to the account with your full permission. See point one.

Yes it sucks to lose all your stuff but it only happened because you allowed it to. You are the only person who can be responsible for your account security. If you won't do that then no-one else is going to do it for you.

Owned-Wet_back.jpg

Laddey

FH is my second home
I know it's against the CoC and so on, but would GOA go out of there way to find out if an account has been traded, then ban it? A novice on this stuff, so enlighten me :)

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
ahhh the standard I got hacked thread, everything is goa fault etc

gm comes and clears things up

thread maker decides to just leave it because he got cockslapped

gotta love these weekly happenings :drink:

atos

Fledgling Freddie
Social engineering rox, it is also the largest reason to being ripped off. I would consider social engineering a form of hacking/exploiting.

The weakest part in the chain are the users. Thats how the first hacking incident occoured when all those lovely mobs spawned outside APK.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Laddey said:
I know it's against the CoC and so on, but would GOA go out of there way to find out if an account has been traded, then ban it? A novice on this stuff, so enlighten me :)

From what I've read - although sharing accounts is against the CoC, GoA wont go out of their way to actively scan for people doing such a thing. (Im sure they have better things to do anyway) However if a problem is reported which involves an account that has clearly been used by multiple people - I think they just suspend the account in question.

May be wrong, but thats the impression i'm getting :)

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Eeben said:
like i said on msn, if they say your acc is tradet why dont they ban it? Trading is against the COC an if they think you have tradet it should be banned..

agree on that, should just instapermban if they have proof for it. Then at least it wont be used by someone else.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Had the pleasure of Kemor's company for a few beers a while back and he explained this to me. It's a question of proof; heresay and chat on forums is not sufficient to prove an account has been traded, nor is a change in IP or a change of CC details.... they might know and account has changed hands but actually proving it is very hard indeed.

However, proving that a user has given access to other users when the messages sent ingame are sitting there in black and white in GOA's logs is something a 4 year old could do...:rolleyes:

Laddey

FH is my second home
Tears said:
From what I've read - although sharing accounts is against the CoC, GoA wont go out of their way to actively scan for people doing such a thing. (Im sure they have better things to do anyway) However if a problem is reported which involves an account that has clearly been used by multiple people - I think they just suspend the account in question.

May be wrong, but thats the impression i'm getting :)

Aye thats what i thought. I've looked into daoc.trade before to see whats going on in there, nothing anybody couldn't do without a bit of time/effort, suppose some people just dont have the persistance, or time/effort. Or maybe want irvr.

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
despite this not being a hacked account situation...

If anyone uses RealVNC on their pc it's a good idea to go to www.realvnc.com and download the latest version (4.1.2) as a vulnerability with the old one (4.1.1) was recently discovered that allowed people to bypass your password.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom