Bye Bye BT

Mybuddies

Fledgling Freddie
I wondered if anyone could recommend a good isp in the UK where I could get a 1MB connection? (My line will only support up to 1MB and BT know this).

BT have proved to be utterly useless at helping me. I was on 1MB several months ago and they upgraded me to 2MB anyway. Surprise surprise I lost my connection several times a night. 7 months of being bounced between the technical & sales departments later (with each department swearing blind that I needed to contact the other department) I got it fixed by a techie who took pity on me. That was 6 weeks or so ago.

In the last few days I have been losing connection so I called the tech team and asked them what speed I was on. Guess what? Yup, 2MB. Can I have it back to 1MB please? Guess what? Yup, I need to talk to the sales area.

So Bye bye BT I'm going to go to someone who won't keep upping my speed without telling me and then keeping me on the phone for 7 months. Any suggestions welcome on the isp though. I thought Tiscali maybe, since they have a 1MB package option.

To BT:- :kissit:

Outlander

Part of the furniture
I had trouble with pipex, but with billing and service :p I started on 1meg line and they upgraded all there services, they said I was now on a 2 meg line (which I wasnt) and were charging me for there 8meg line. woohoo! :twak:

Marc

FH is my second home
I was with Pipex. Actual connection etc was top notch, but customer support was shocking. Always on hold, waiting to connect etc. Im now with ukonline and cant say a bad word about them. From ordering online till connection was 4 days. Customer support is also top notch, have phoned them 4 times and got through straight away every time.

Kasall

Fledgling Freddie
Believe it or not NTL are ok connection and download speed wise but a little lacking in the support section

Mybuddies

Fledgling Freddie
Support is everything to me. The actual service is fine (when its 1MB) but what I want is someone who will fix their mistakes without me having to phone them for half a year!!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I use BT
2MB Connection
Works fine

But

Its overpriced

and the support is outsourced to a fucking Indian call centre !

The line quality to said call centre is shit. The staff can barely speak English. They take fucking ages working out what part of the step-by-step guide to read out to you next. They tell you they'll call you back. Of course they dont. They give you all this "Yes Sir", "Thank you for holding Sir" shit but you can almost smell the disengenuity and blatent laziness of the two bit so called technical help agent.

When BT internet help was based in the UK it was fucking ace.

Now they've set up in some grotty sweat shop staffed by any old stinkbag off the street the service SUCKS.

Moving to Bulldog next month.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
I use freedom2surf - havent had any reason to contact them at all tbh, service has been fine. Though I am on 2mb I found out they can do 5.5mb so phoned to re-grade but the only packages they now offer are limited download 20-50gb etc whereas my old contract is unmetered,unlimited with no fair use policy either so I think will stick with me 2mb connection instead.. So they are groovy but no longer do unmetered packages which is a shame if you download anything ~ahem~ legally...

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I'm with Plusnet, no complaints really. But they are on the pricey side compared to whats out there atm

http://www.adslguide.org.uk to compare the packages

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/broadband.shtml to see the top 10
SurfAnyTime - 9.64
Euro1Net - 9.57
Zen Internet - 9.32
FireFly - 9.01
Nildram - 8.68
Lixxus - 8.55
Naims - 8.54
Firenet - 8.33
Eclipse Internet - 8.33
ICUK - 8.21

based on user feedback tho so can be biased but generally sound, and you wanted to know what tech support was like before joining just read the comments there to get a overview :)

http://www.bytestart.co.uk/content/15/15_3/so-what-is-broadband.shtml
very informative site if you know little about bband

Ezteq

Queen of OT
we had NTL for ages and it was sooo crap, kept breaking down and when you wanted to talk to someone you couldnt get hold of them ever.

we've had BT for a couple of years now and tbh theyve been excellant, never had a problem so never needed the customer services, cant really fault them.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
bt are upgrading everyone on 2mb to 8mb soon for free. You just need to register for it.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Ezteq said:
we've had BT for a couple of years now and tbh theyve been excellant, never had a problem so never needed the customer services, cant really fault them.

Wait till you do need support and you will see how bad BT are. Over the course of a week I spent about 7 hours on the phone to a BT call centre in India trying to get my problem sorted, not one of the call centre staff spoke English to a reasonable level and every time I used a technical phrase they put me on hold whilst they consultated a supervisior. To sum it up, fecking useless, if I could take my email address with me I would be gone tomorrow. Sadly I can't and it would mean losing an email address I have had for 7 years.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
using Zen atm
cant say anything bad about them
connection has never been down or had problems
tech support are english people, and are genuinely helpful rather than "lalalaa reading off a screen" types

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
DocWolfe said:
bt are upgrading everyone on 2mb to 8mb soon for free. You just need to register for it.

Just registerd. Thanks for letting us know. ~Roll on 8MB

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
ntl bb. only had about 5 problems in the last 6 years. 2 of em were related to moving house. one of em, just a general me being an idiot problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom