BY games stopping on the 5th November...

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Ch3tan

Unethical? How so, please elabirate.

Have you ever tried admining a group of FF on, highly populated servers? The same rules apply for everyone, admins are not psychic. There are systems in place for contacting admins, if user cannot be bothered and choses to take their own action they have no right to moan.

I understand admin complaints on issues such as cheating -proof and the lack of it in the main. But the example of TKing and retaliaiton has one right answer, ban/kick those who TK and break the rules of that server or group of servers.

A

-adz-

Say there is a real life hostage situation. If you kill the terrorist in order to save the others would you be sent to prison for it? I think not.

I hope these are your real views and not the "i wanna be a liason again" ones.

Ethics is not equal to law u know.

C

Ch3tan

Adz, we are talking about how actions affect a game, not a real life situation. Tking ruins online games, and retaliation, however well intended is still TKing.

These are my real views, I played heavily on the BW 7 and 8 FF on servers before I was an admin, and then while I was. If someon goes on a TK spree all that was needed was to pop onto irc and get them banned. Retaliation for the most sparks even more tking, and then admins don't have a clear person to ban anymore.

Don't be provoked so easily, keep your head and do something more permanent than retaliate.

I see that I am not going to make you see my view or the view that the BY admins took. They were only folling the rules of their servers.

As for the liaison comment. I still have the rcon passwords and configuration access to the servers. The only reason I wanted to officially be a liaison again is because there is no active liaison after 5pm or so, or on weekends.

M

MYstIC G

Frankly TKing is bullshit on the basis that your revenge isn't just taking out your retribution against someone who may have injured you in the game, but on all your innocent team mates who are just trying to have fun.

TKing is afaik a bannable offence and so it should be. The only serious improvement that should be introduced that I don't believe is installed at the moment is the "forgivetk" stuff in adminmod.

I'm not saying I have never TK'd or don't understand it (sometimes teammates are ****s & it has to be done) however if you nuke your own teammates you do so knowing it comes at a price, so you shouldn't whinge about it.

A

-adz-

That was an example, It still follows the principles of having rules and the fact that in ethical cases these rules should not be adherred to. This is a normal thing, that happens often in the world.

I dont personally see how server admins should treat things any other way, it to me, and to many others appears that a dictatorship is the "accepted" way for these. Zero tolerance on cheaters - fine they deserve it. Saying someone deserves to be banned because they improved the gaming experience for others is disgusting.

And in the case of not knowing who to ban - The common event would be one round all the team dying to someone, and the next round someone killing that person and then carrying on. Its not rocket science. Ok sometimes people get out of hand on these matters, but I have never seen a case where every single person would be banned.

I bet some of u dirty admin types have banned if someone accidentally tk-ed you, but in a silly place. Power -> Head

M

MYstIC G

Oh & frankly Chet would be a damn good liason & I don't say this because I know him as a mate, I say it because he spends way way way way way way too much time playing, learning & tinkering with CS

C

Ch3tan

Adz again, your ignoring what I have said. Why are you ignoring the fact that during that round where you are dead you could call an admin, you'd have up to 5 minutes to do it.

I am not saying I do no understand retaliation, I am pointing out why if your an admin its unwanted. The person who is retaliating may not be the one who eventually complains, and when an admin comes and see's TKing it is their right to ban for it under the rules of the server. If players cannot accept that they should not agree to play on that server.

It's nothing to do with power, the simplest and easiest way to improve play on a server where there is TKing is to quickly remove all offenders -as the admin sees them, not spend 5 rounds trying to figure out who is doing what.

Maybe you'll be lucky and get away with just doing things your own way, or maybe you'll carry on moaning because someone is doing their duty to improve play on a server.

A

-adz-

Originally posted by Ch3tan
Adz again, your ignoring what I have said. Why are you ignoring the fact that during that round where you are dead you could call an admin, you'd have up to 5 minutes to do it.

It is a well known fact that getting an admin within 5 minutes is a miracle, especially in barrysworld days.

I can't be arsed with this anymore, it seems you are not capable of getting off your high horse with the idealistic views of what is acceptable. Approaching things like that suggests that you dont possess any form of human nature and is utterly pish.

cba anymore, be a corporate gimp all u like

M

MYstIC G

Originally posted by -adz-
It is a well known fact that getting an admin within 5 minutes is a miracle, especially in barrysworld days.
Frankly adz, you can't do any better or you'd have the rcon pass mate. This is now boring to read.

A

-adz-

Just ask in channels where I have been an admin and i'm sure you will be proved wrong

C

Ch3tan

It's not high horse or idealistic, its playing devils advocate to your arguments against BY admins. I've been in their shoes, yes it would be nice to give a warning and ban the first culprit, but when there is retaliation going on its not possible. It has nothing do with human nature, again its an online game not a terroist situation.

What high horse, you don't seem to be able to acknowledge that retaliation is in any way wrong.

A

-adz-

I gave up this morning, dunno bout anyone else :D

Was just defending the fact someone said i'd be a shit admin.

M

MYstIC G

Originally posted by -adz-
Was just defending the fact someone said i'd be a shit admin.
Actually I never said shit, I said you couldn't do any better. As for asking I don't need to as I never said you were shit.

D

Deady

Theres no way of knowing whats retaliation and whats not. And if you allow retaliation youre going to end up in a loop of TKing.

O

old.D0LLySh33p

/me closes thread.

Time to move on peeps pls :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom