BWCTFL Season 3

W

wtf Sumo

Nobody interested?

Imo, the bwctfl was a load of fun - It's weird that so few (2?) clans actually signed up for this great league.

Even more surprising as it would be using the lmctf engine, the benefits of which include the fantastic customisable team radio commands and more accurate position reporting, not to mention some great maps
wink.gif

If any of you are interested and just didnt get round to signing up, do it now!

Sumo

O

old.Dr_Grey

Yup, I agree, it was a lot of fun and good now that the number of players in now down to 7. 8 was a bit too much and laggy for some maps really. Even wondered if 6 might not be good.
Just wondering.. I know a LMCTF lite pak was being done (only 10M I think?). Is it feasable for clans that arent so used to Lokis to download this and get the maps separately if they want to try it and see the benefits over normal CTF?

O

old.DevPac2

There is indeed a LMLite pack available (i know 'cos i was the one that 'developed' it) It's basically the original LM .paks with all of the maps removed. It took me about half an hour to do, so i think developed is too strong a word
smile.gif

The best way to have a look at it is to dl and install it (/lmlite is recommended) and copy the IDCTF maps into the folder (pak0.pak is the one with CTF1-5 in). Obviously there are no servers running this, but all the info you need to see LM in all its glory is there (including the docs). You can even get out of the CTF1 RG room without having to use the fps hack.

Note - it _hasn't_ been properly tested so there may be bugs, if you find any please let me know.

anyway, get it at www.tomato.force9.co.uk

Dev

O

old.OxTales

We, TJD that is, was going to join season 3 - after having a good, fun S1 (finalists). We also enjoyed S2 (although there were some dodgy maps).

Basically we didn't feel we could ask the hpb contingent (of which I am one) to download the large LMCTF mod just to get a game. We are quite large (about 23 at last count) and now only in savage, UK3tCTFL and the UKCCL. Not enough to guarantee everyone a regular game. We are quite sorry that the desicion was taken to use LMCTF.

Plus we didn't want to get hammered on LM maps against LM clans who have there radio binds pretty much sorted - and we were crap with OHG
smile.gif

O

old.DevPac2

If it'll encourage people to take up LM i'll put up my configs on the site above.

probably not the best, but a start
smile.gif

Dev

O

old.Dr_Grey

Oxtales....I know what you mean about the large downloads for LM, thats why Dev conjured up the LMLITE pak which is only 10M a lot more respectable. As for the offhand grapple, LFIRE from last season had offhand grapple too.
As for the radio communication, all you have to do is add a simple 'playteam' style message to your normal CTF bind, so it should be pretty seamless really.
Maybe if a lot of clans feel the same way and dont want to download the LMCTF or LMLITE pak then could we reconsider LFIRE? (maybe a vote?)
No doubt could sneak a couple of LMCTF maps in the season to play
smile.gif

Personally I like the team radio commands, and I think all the next gen CTF games will have some form of team radio communication so good to get used to them, but I'll play whichever mod the majority want.

O

old.OxTales

Oxtales....I know what you mean about the large downloads for LM, thats why Dev conjured up the LMLITE pak which is only 10M a lot more respectable

Yes, but we saw no mention of that - just that S3 will be using LMCTF. We assumed that we needed to d/l the mod, all of it.

As for the offhand grapple, LFIRE from last season had offhand grapple too

I know, we were crap with it. It all boils down to the fact that we're not an LMCTF clan. We can barely play normal CTF
wink.gif

O

old.DevPac2

Currently LMLite is at 7.8 meg. just for a fyi
smile.gif

If BWCTFL want to use LMLite then they are more than welcome to do so.

If other clans want any help with LM for maps, configs, etc. please feel free to contact me, and i'll assist in any way possible.

Dev

O

old.TheGuyver

Ho Hum. Well the reason why DBP didnt sign up is a long winded one.

the Krux of the matter is that we never got round to talking if we wanted to.

However the general concenus is that if it isnt LM we wont play. Sorry. But Lfire esp on those servers was just sooooooooo laggy it was unreal.

Oxtales. Do this then.... send out a CD with the LM stuff on. (i.e get one to download all of it then burn it) and send it round to the memebers who would like to play.

Either that or call a lan party and install it there.... as for maps... speccy is really up for using Specific maps instead of the Bog standard maps. i.e the lm clans havnt played them like the Standard lmctf01 - 30.

O

old.Dr_Grey

I think if people try downloading the LMLITE pak at 7.8M it shouldnt be a problem for most people on modems (unless they're connected with BT
smile.gif
) I agree, might be good to have a few new maps, mebe a mixture of the best of the standard ones nad some other good ones. That would make it easy to download too, as you could just download a map the week before and practice it or something.
Come on those other CTF clans, time to sign up
smile.gif

O

old.OxTales

Although the initial size of the mod was a problem, the lite wouldn't be, but it comes down to the fact that we're not a LMCTF clan and have no wishes to join a LMCTF league.

O

old.Fra

But surely LMCTF is just CTF with a grapple that lets you fire weapon at same time and radio commands added in, seeing as the normal 30maps wont be used?

Fra

O

old.OxTales

Do people read what I say or not? Since it was announced that S3 would be using LMCTF we expressed our desire not to join the league. We're not a LMCTF clan and have no wishes to join a LMCTF league.

O

old.Fra

But i did read you have said, im not in any way trying to convince you to join S3.
I just dont see why your adamant not to join as its using the LMCTF engine...it doesnt take anything away that was in standard CTF...it gives u a better grapple, if you dont like off-hand the option is in there to use the ct grapple all you have to do is use a diff bind. Then it has the radio commands...you are not forced to use em. As it stands a CTF only team can play in LMCTF without changin their playing style at all if thats what they decide?

Its jussa point
Fra

O

old.OxTales

We have enough problems learning a few new maps for savage and ukccl, let alone a new league with all new maps.

O

old.DevPac2

I think OxTales raises several valid problems. I don't think that we're trying to convince TJD to sign up if they've decided not to, rather we're trying to tackle problems which may have stopped other clans signing up which OxTales has helpfully raised.

1) Its LM - well, the DL should be less of a problem
smile.gif
. If we ignore the maps, the only major problem is the off-hand grapple. It is quite different and could cause problems if your config isn't right but for most clanned players i'd expect them to pick up the skill within a few hours.
http://www.ukctf.com/Q2LMCTF/lmguide.htm is a LM intro to help with some of the other differences (please note that this is also in beta so be gentle
smile.gif
)

2) Maps - This is more difficult as some people would want new maps, some old, and of course to some clans old maps are new and new maps are old. Its not easy to sort out, but perhaps a mix of popular IDCTF maps and a few LMCTF maps would be a good compromise.

Dev

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom