BWCTFL Season 11<>12

I

iggy^

As I do at the end of every season, I'll open this thread for your discussions, flames and general abuse on either Season 11 or your ideas (read discussions, flames and general abuse) on Season 12.

From my point of view it went well, shame that in the end that their were 4 clans that dropped from the league for various reasons but I suppose that can't be helped.

S

syno

How To?

Hi there everyone and congratulations to everybody who competed in the season just gone.

I would like a quick bit of information if someone has time please, as i am thinking of entering my clan into this league but am a little unsure on a few points.

1: Do i need my own clanserver or are the games hosted by BW?

2: If i need my own server what setting and patches do i need?

3: Is the league OSP?

4: what maps will i need to play?

Well thats all i can think of for now.

Cheers :D

S

Slippy

hi syno

gr8 to hear you're thinking of joining the league. i'm sure if you do you'll love it, cos it r0x ;¬)

i'm not an expert but i'll try to answer your questions:

-you don't need a server, bw provide
-yes it's osp
-maps are the normal ones hehe. i think they are decided per season, so keep an eye on the bwq3ctfl site (i can't post the url cos i'm too new *eek*)

W

Wazzerphuk

Sort the map list out.

Next season take out 3w2 (tired and very old now, one long cross-steal) and ctf2 to add a bit more variety in. They're old and redundant these maps, and boring to play... spice it up a little please, having the same map list 2 seasons in a row is :sleeping:

S

Ster!

Well, as head admin of French CTF league, we tried several maps (some already played in other leagues) from last to current season :

Mkbase : total poo
Onxctf1 : quite not good
Onxctf3 : average
W5 : average
CTF3 : old school but nowadays not very fun to play
CP22 : good surprise (i recommend it)

i did have not much complains about CP22, apart from the part that it is very ugly, it might be worth a try.
It is attractive, coze its very based on offense, difficult to defend but easy to attack, bring very nice games..

Concerning lags, we had servers last season where nobody cried much in pickup games about lags, but when we used them in the league, with a coach (like in bw) we had alot of complains about lags, pl, and ping instability...
This season, i stopped the coach thing, using the same servers, and nobody cried about lag, pl and so...

I really wonder if coach (and most of this : multiview) is not hammering the server or client connections, i don't realy know why but i think it would be interesting to test few games with no coach with teams having lags, to see if it improves ...

my 2 cents.

S

syno

Thanks Slippy

Just wanted to thank slippy for his reply its something i have been wondering for a while so thanks again.

K

[-KW-]Beasty

Originally posted by Ster!
Concerning lags, we had servers last season where nobody cried much in pickup games about lags, but when we used them in the league, with a coach (like in bw) we had alot of complains about lags, pl, and ping instability...
This season, i stopped the coach thing, using the same servers, and nobody cried about lag, pl and so...

I really wonder if coach (and most of this : multiview) is not hammering the server or client connections, i don't realy know why but i think it would be interesting to test few games with no coach with teams having lags, to see if it improves ...

my 2 cents.

hmmm thats an interesting point

K

kapiter

omg

wcp22... please not this map.

Yes it is fun to play "as a change" but I dont think it is a competitive alternate map, especially because of huge conception defaults, like to be totally unable to know in which base you are when spawning at bottom level and using a high picmip. Very very bad :)

-----

I will express some negative comments written on a french site (fff) about this last season:

- rules for adding players need to be more respected, some teams seemed to gain "suddenly" a player before a match. Even accepted by the headadmin, could be noticed somewhere for a clearer view on players movements.
- many complain about servers, some are thinking it is the BW FTP, used now for example by esreality since some months, which is causing those unstable connections by raping the BW bandwidth especially during league hours. Any clue ?

Positive points are as usual what is not critized :great:

I

iggy^

I said it before last season, if anyone knows of any good maps out there that might not be part of the osp paks then mail me a link to them and we could perhaps give some of them a thrash about to see how well they play.

iguana@barrysworld.com if you dont already know :)

I

iggy^

Re: omg

Originally posted by kapiter
I will express some negative comments written on a french site (fff) about this last season:

- rules for adding players need to be more respected, some teams seemed to gain "suddenly" a player before a match. Even accepted by the headadmin, could be noticed somewhere for a clearer view on players movements.
- many complain about servers, some are thinking it is the BW FTP, used now for example by esreality since some months, which is causing those unstable connections by raping the BW bandwidth especially during league hours. Any clue ?

Positive points are as usual what is not critized :great:

1) I agree and that is something that I will be considering before the league restarts. Several teams PM me on IRC just before joining server saying that they need to add a player. There should be no excuse for not maintaining your team list correctly and checking before your matches take place. Quite how we can resolve this issue is to be decided but decided it will be :) I do keep a log of player movements and it can be easily added to the clan page who has left who and gone to where.

An "exclusion time" may be the better option, and I will be most likely stopping the "Adding a player on the night" farce. BW leagues have always been based on trust and the hope that teams arent taking the piss with what they are doing. However, some clans have abused this and so its a case of the few spoiling it for the many.

2) With the amount of conx that BW/Game.net have I very much doubt that people leeching of an FTP would affect the servers that much. Remember that esreality has been around for some time now so I think that would have possibly been an issue. Perhaps its routing tables that are fux0r3d? Perhaps its just the general issue of companies providing higher download packages and those are hitting your conx? I dont know, its something for bigfoot to ask at the higher levels possibly :) I'm from the UK and my pings/lag etc was all fine is all I can say.

F

fmczebedee

I've been plugging Q3WCP22 for the last few seasons for various leagues.. I like the map and think it would make for some good games, not just as a change either. If you're not sure where you've spawned look at your team overlay.

Bury W2 & CTF2, they died seasons ago for me and many others, keeping them around just leaves a bad smell. Alternatively schedule these maps for the same night of the league and i'll just give myself the night off.

Others maps to try / use again..

WCP1, WCP14, WC6

J

jazka

why not before the next season have some testing with new maps? ppl/clan coming to test 1 or 2 evenings as a pickup, to grab some feelings about a new pool?

ps: gg as usual for this great season

B

bigfoot

Bandwidth is not an issue, we are well below our limits.

Testing would be great, but I asked for people to help test the server settings before the new season started, and we got barely enough for one match together, which annoyed me because people then moan about the server settings during the season when they could have helped to avoid the situation.

O

oberion

Don't all jump on me at once!

But, i wanna moan about the admins this season. As an Inactive Barrysworld admin at the moment, due to not having an ADSL/Cable connex @ home until September. I was appauled at the antics and responses from some of the admins this season. Agreed, there appeared to be shortages of admins available on the nights i came online.

But, in 3 matches this season, pauses were called for 999's [ Not me on these occasions] :) And there were delays of up to 10-20 seconds before the pause was granted (Usually after a cap went against us) But, more to the point, i think what has outraged me the most, were the comments made by ExistenZ` In out final game of the season. Where after particularly l33t kills, caps etc, i would " Dedicate a smiley to the event " Which resulted in ExistenZ` Demanding we only use Team_say during the match. Agreed, Spamming is a nono, but Smileys?! I'm sorry, are we playing at the crucible? Or was ExistenZ` Doing other things more important than keeping an eye on the console for pause requests and 999's ?

I don't wanna whine at the admins, but on that particular night, i was sat in the Admin channel during and after tha game and saw his comments against me, which i shall not repeat, as its a a non repeating channel :) Just im reading the condump as i write this and im feeling all angry inside :<

Just given the circumstances of winning our division and being rightfuly proud of our achivement, being pissed all over by a killjoy admin was abit to much. Apart from that, was a top season, and repec and Kudos to all we played.

B

bigfoot

Perhaps he felt it was unsportsmanlike to rub it in to your opponents - I know one of the things which annoys me at the end of a huge loss is when people blindly spam "gg" when it clearly was anything but.

G

Gemma the Dog

regarding map + server testing

I volunteer all of SPS's services if you can schedule a map and/or server test on a Wednesday night at 9pm (ish).

btw, on the 1st 2 q3 ctf 'community' games, I *was* getting odd laggy moments...was it just me? mind u...I think it was something like 7 or 8 a side ;)

X

xpok

Originally posted by bigfoot
Perhaps he felt it was unsportsmanlike to rub it in to your opponents - I know one of the things which annoys me at the end of a huge loss is when people blindly spam "gg" when it clearly was anything but.

/me giggles like a school girl when he hears that :D

X

Xewren

I think overall the adminwork was very good once again. In a few wars admins forgot to make demos so we didnt have the luxury to see us play 732487283746 times afterwards :D

About Obe and Existenz... I remember Existenz adminning our game once this season and it was very different from all the other ones... I felt like he was in a hurry somewhere. I admit we didnt get all plrs to server immediately, but forcing startup when i said last plr is connecting was terrible. We tried to sort plrs in places while game was on way.. result was we ended up having a plr who was supposed to play coaching and vice versa. Our game was pretty badly messed up all 20 mins. What can be more nervwrecking than having to coachinvite and change tactics standing still knowing enemies will come in all over in just a moment and all u have is the small bananagun. :D

I agree there is a limit when teams must be ready but telling 20 secs b4 that i will forcestart in 20 secs is awful... also the second map both teams were forced ready when we barely got to the new map, nothing like that happened b4 or after. At that time i was cursing that Existenz should never admin our games again but now i only think he should learn his lesson and go on :p

Thanks for admins for the hard work u do! For Existenz too, no hard feelings... bygones are bygones.

Xewie

P.S. I agree on removing W2.... its a cool map but the xsteals are quite boring. Also despite the hard words from me, atm i think bw is the best league there is and playing it is a privilege :>

D

dookz0r

we want to join the league for ages

somebody help me plz. We want to join the league, signed up for ages. But dont get a respond for what so ever.
we never played a single match.
why ?

Duke`Dem (Deus ex Machina)

I

iggy^

Re: we want to join the league for ages

Originally posted by dookz0r
somebody help me plz. We want to join the league, signed up for ages. But dont get a respond for what so ever.
we never played a single match.
why ?

Duke`Dem (Deus ex Machina)
Due to the high demand of clans wanting to play in the league and the amount we already have playing (70 ish clans), we have a large waiting list. We can only replace clans as and when they fold or drop for one reason or another. Lets just hope there may be some space in the new season, if not, then there is not much we can do, sorry :(

N

NooT-BLoKE

Well we'd be happy to take Pro's place (I assume they wont be returning) if you would let us...

D

dlf

season 12

Hello,

Any idea when Bwctf league will resume ????

A

ad-stan

I have really enjoyed this season in BW and thank all players and admins for thier time and effort and some great games. I was a great fan of 3 wave but got tired of the mod, gl all for next season.
PS: i wouldnt mind admining some games if you need ppl, you'll have to send the rules etc to tho

stanleh@hotmail.com

ad-stan

I

iggy^

Originally posted by ad-stan
I have really enjoyed this season in BW and thank all players and admins for thier time and effort and some great games. I was a great fan of 3 wave but got tired of the mod, gl all for next season.
PS: i wouldnt mind admining some games if you need ppl, you'll have to send the rules etc to tho

stanleh@hotmail.com

ad-stan

Mail me at iguana@barrysworld.com

W

won-

how many...

..clans will be leaving <-- ur estimate iggy ?
Cuz we seriously want to enter next season before it goes pay2play and ive seen some clans like ad join over night so could give an estimate of how many new clans there will be entering seasdon 12?

W

won-

how many...

Cuz we seriously want to enter next season before it goes pay2play and ive seen some clans like ad join over night so could give an estimate of how many new clans there will be entering seasdon 12?

I

iggy^

Re: how many...

Originally posted by won-

We wont know that for a few days as yet, basically were asking the clans that were entered last season if they are coming in again this season, so its wait and we shall know soon :)

W

won-

Originally posted by iggy^
As I do at the end of every season, I'll open this thread for your discussions, flames and general abuse on either Season 11 or your ideas (read discussions, flames and general abuse) on Season 12.

From my point of view it went well, shame that in the end that their were 4 clans that dropped from the league for various reasons but I suppose that can't be helped.

with 4 already dropped season 12 will have 4 slots open without a doubt ?

I

iggy^

Should be yes, there are possibly a few more openings with some other clans going inactive over the close season. It's a case of sit tight and we will let you know if we require people tho!

Users who are viewing this thread