BW UT2003 Leagues??

J

jumpinzack

I was just wondering when these will start? Also will they be subsciption based? I personally don't think they should be, as my clan for one won't be able to compete on it and we will have to go elsewhere. If it is subscription based i think its fair to say that it most of the strongest clans won't be present in the league. Anyway back to my original question, any idea when?

E

executor2k

I chat with BigFoot about that matter.

I hope soon, we would have some news :D

E

executor2k

After some chat, the question under analys is:

If a UT2003 possible league would be restricted to BW subscriver or to be a Open League, where everyone could join.

So be patients, we will soon have some news about that matter :D

J

jumpinzack

i have a suggestion. why don't you make it so that at least one member of the clan has to subscribe to barrysworld leagues. in all honesty it has to be said that the whole clan subscribing is unreasonable. there are two people in my clan who are subscribers, and we would feel very hard done by if we were then prevented from playing in the leagues, and it is unfair to expect every member to shell out...

B

bigfoot

In all likelihood any leagues we run for new games (from BF1942 onwards, so this includes UT2K3) would be for Subscribers only. We want to add value to the Subscriber package, having leagues outside of this makes no sense and also makes it impossible to justify devoting expensive hardware towards the running of such leagues, having just 1 member per clan a Subscriber wouldn't be enough.

S

str3am

right...kill ya sleves then.....JOLT.co.uk are still free and still run leagues and show no sign of going p2p at any time. I'll go for the free way avery time....and doin this will make it worse.

B

bigfoot

How does it make it worse? Running a free league brings no direct benefits to BarrysWorld or to our Subscribers and it's been proven so far that Free Leagues have very little in the way of indirect benefits to us - people do not Subscribe out of the goodness of their heart, simply because we are providing them with a good league service. We've run the best Q3TDM & Q3CTF leagues in the UK, and some would say Europe, for 2.5 years now but, despite having 3 seasons where we ran at over 200 clans (and this past season was still a healthy 160 teams), i'd be surprised if more than 5% of participants had actually subscribed. The reason? There isn't any need for them to Subscribe cos they currently get a decent league service without having to spend a dime. I'm not saying all those 160 sides would subscribe, but if even just 25% (40) of them did as a clan then we'd have a sizeable, highly focused Subscriber based community which would go a long way to repopulating the public servers and to generating a more thriving Q3 community.

In addition to this it is impossible to justify devoting new hardware towards a free league - if i had a nice new shiny server i'd be better off handing it over to be run as Clanservers and to make the cost of the server back over a few months and, eventually, some profit to help go towards paying to run the actual service. A Subscriber Only league on the other hand can demand decent kit and other resources, it can also justify having a nice prize budget to go with it because it is bringing in new Subscribers *and* offering added value to what is already a very fairly priced package. Indeed, when you consider that Jolt charge for pretty much everything except some of their leagues and their public servers (£10 a year for an email account alone? £520 a year for the same amount of bookable time as we offer? £10 a year just to get popups removed from their forums?) you could put a good case forward for them moving to P2P. I assure you that they probably would move to full P2P if they could, Jolt is a business like any other and they are not in this industry just to scrimp along trying their best to break even, if you think that is the case then you are insulting their intelligence.

M

Meteora

This may seem as a stupid question..

but any chance of a 1 v 1 DM league, as the only one I know of is a Internation Ladder on ClanBase, and doesn't seem like Jolt is gonna be doing one anytime soon.

Cheers for any help.

B

bigfoot

We've got someone who might be interested in doing such a league, but we are waiting until our last remaining UT league finishes (and probably the new patch) before we start looking at such a competition.

P

prime1

Im lookin forward to a BW league, however I'm also dreading trying to get every member of my clan to singup, I know it isnt much, but ultiamtely lazyness, apathy and an attitude of not wanting to pay anything will create a nightmare for clan leaders.

I have a suggestion though....

What about allowing a clan to subscribe to BW, for example, to enter the league, you pay a 1 off entry fee, and then your clan is in for that season? All members of the clan in, you wouldnt need to register their IPs etc because they can only play the match games, and obvisouly they wil have to be waring the clan tag etc
This would also stop disorganised and dead clans that would only default normally from signing up.

Or possibly a bulk membership account, where a clan can register its members and pay a fee accordingly. As clan leader id be happy to cover a "few" additonal costs like that, although some may not. In the same way clans band to gether to get servers this could work as well.

Y

Yu-Gung

Originally posted by prime1
What about allowing a clan to subscribe to BW

It has been suggested (for the BWQ3 leagues) that a clan could pay for 5 memberships and exchange them among theirselves, thus lessening the cost per player and still be able to field a full team from a pool of more players.

M

Meteora

There is a lot of debate in the RtCW league forum about this problem... Subs or free..

Worth taking a look, and plenty of info from bigfoot and bigbb.

B

bigfoot

We have been chatting over the possibility of a "Clan package" but the reasoning behind moving leagues towards Subscriber Only is that we want to add value to the existing Subscription package, not create a seperate league product. The costs also mean that including leagues in the Subscription package is viable, something that obviously isn't true of our only standalone service - Clan Servers.

M

MYstIC G

Originally posted by bigfoot
In all likelihood any leagues we run for new games (from BF1942 onwards, so this includes UT2K3) would be for Subscribers only. We want to add value to the Subscriber package, having leagues outside of this makes no sense and also makes it impossible to justify devoting expensive hardware towards the running of such leagues, having just 1 member per clan a Subscriber wouldn't be enough.
I'd suggest not making this a firm stance, if you run a league & start it out subs only it would seem you're cutting your nose off to spite your face. Would you not be much better off running the league openly for say 1/2 seasons so that you get player numbers, then converting those players into subs. I've kind of explained myself better in another thread with regard to the BWCSL over here if this makes no sense.

Oh & str3am Jolt + Free = Joke, wake up

J

jumpinzack

what if you set up a ladder rather than a league with an entry fee? you dont have to supply servers (although the ladder itself will be advertisement to subscribe and use yours) and it requires less admin than a league, they only really need to get involved with disputes between clans, one guy could manage it. if the entry fee was 10 pounds per clan per six months, and 100 clans joined, thats 500 quid prize money, 500 quid for you to spend, ok its not a lot, but bear in mind all you have to do is set up the system and have one admin in place, the clans will do the rest themselves. the entry fee could even be more than that, 25 quid is not unreasonable - possibly more once the ladder has been running a while. every six months you just divide the prize money between the top three clans or however you see fit, then either restart the ladder or just continue it (im assuming you all understand how the ladder system as opposed to a league works in posting this)

just an idea

zack

P

prime1

Originally posted by bigfoot
We have been chatting over the possibility of a "Clan package" but the reasoning behind moving leagues towards Subscriber Only is that we want to add value to the existing Subscription package, not create a seperate league product. The costs also mean that including leagues in the Subscription package is viable, something that obviously isn't true of our only standalone service - Clan Servers.

I appreciate what your saying, but at the moment that simply wont work, it will be extremely difficult to find a large number of clans, for whome every member has signed up.

Maybe offering a discount to a clan per signed up member? Or any clan that has a certain number of subscribers within it can enter for free etc

I just know from 5 years experience running a clan, that members are lazy at best, its bad enough just getting them to signup their details on a league website, let alone making them then pay for it. This also means that subscribers whose clans are not organised properly, will suubsequently miss out on that portion of the subscription benefit....

O

old.[40oz]-Apocalypse

Why not just charge an entry fee to join the league, rather than having each member become a subscriber? Charge each clan summit like £15 quid a season, you got more chance of getting clans to play in it that way. BW UT CTF league used to be the best UT league going, its quite painfull to see how decrepid its getting.

Users who are viewing this thread