Buying Online

S

(Shovel)

I thought I had it sussed: Look on the back of the CD for a "Copy Controlled" logo in the shop, then buy it for less online.

My £8 worth of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club album showed up today, complete with copy control sticker. The shops didn't have this :(

Play didn't have it labelled on the site, CD-WOW don't label, nor to Amazon.

Should they? Surely there is a legal requirement to label them?

However, I recently read a response to a complaint from CD-Now who said that they did not get told which CDs have copy control on them, any labelling would be down to them checking each individual CD and for preorders, they would have no help at all.

I'm toying with writing to the local MP about it all tbfh, see if anything can be done to either force better labelling so I don't accidently end up with these shite disks, or better still force record companies to provide a conventional version to anyone who asks for it :p

Any ideas?

E

evilmonkeh

does copy controlled mean its supposedly un-copyable?
if so that is rather annoying:(
inevitably, like most piracy prevention methods, the big time pirates will still be able to continue doing thier work, and the only people who suffer are the legitimate customers!!
it really is rather ironic.

S

Shocko

Shit, that album has copy protection? I hadn't noticed seen my PC is unusable atm... Oh well, not the end of the world i guess :(

Btw, is it really worth getting music online? I only payed £10 for that cd, i rarely pay any more than that, even for older stuff... Selectadisk owns when it comes to prices, yet most people in Nottingham seem to be obsessed by the Fopp since it opened a few years ago... I can't for the life of me see why. Apart from the £5 and £7 sections, their stuff is normally pretty expensice(£15 for most older stuff), and their range is really poor, especially for metal. That's trend followers for you, shop wherever they're told to...

S

(Shovel)

Regarding the BRMC album: The ones you get in the shop are fine, it's just the ones provided to Online shops that have copy control on them - certainly Play.com anyway.

evilmonkeh: Yes, that is the theory. Though as is shown in other threads, there are particular brands of CD-RW drive which, for the time being at least, don't suffer from it can be just rip the disk normally.

M

mank

Originally posted by (Shovel)
evilmonkeh: Yes, that is the theory. Though as is shown in other threads, there are particular brands of CD-RW drive which, for the time being at least, don't suffer from it can be just rip the disk normally.

Lite-On? I've not bought a brand new CD for months, so I've not come across it yet.

S

(Shovel)

Yes, Lite-On. Sorry, I managed not to name them in that post. Whoops.

There is a previous thread about it actually: Lite-On (like the one I have downstairs) just sials through it, I believe Plextor will too.

T

Tom

re copy protected discs:

Can you still get a useable digital signal from the Optical/Coaxial output on your cd player? Can't you then use that signal to record onto your computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom