Music Buying a piano / grand piano

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
So, prices around where i live has dropped with a huge amount when it comes to pianos / grand pianos. But i really haven't got a clue to which brand/type i should settle for. So i was hoping anyone in here hopefully knew some about this topic and could give me a hint.

rynnor

Rockhound
Who's it for? How much space do you have? Whats your budget?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Ok, I don't know much about this, but my colleague at work is a very accomplished pianist and plays gigs regularly. He waxes lyrical about the following:

C2 - Grand Pianos - Products - Yamaha United Kingdom

Expensive and big, but as an entry level grand piano, he reckons it's very good.

*shrug* - i couldn't tell you a Steinway from a Yamaha sound wise. I've played on a Bosendorfer before, but again it was just a grand piano to me.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
A proper grand piano won't leave you much change from multiples of 10's of thousands of pounds. You can buy a digital grand piano for anything up to £5,000. Your local music shop would be a good place to start - there's a couple in Manchester that have second hand pianos in stock, but they ain't cheap.

If you just want a very good piano, upright or not, Yamaha is a very well regarded manufacturer. You could get an excellent new upright for £2,500.

You could always buy second hand from Ebay or similar, but you'll need at least 4 mates to help move it into a big van, and it'll very likely need tuning once it has been moved (£50 or so).

I plan to have one myself at some point, right now I just have a crappy 100+ years old German upright that is quite worn out. When you have a play on a good grand piano, you begin to realise just how crap your own piano is :)

My advice - buy from a music shop, second hand. Upright or grand.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
A proper grand piano won't leave you much change from multiples of 10's of thousands of pounds. You can buy a digital grand piano for anything up to £5,000. Your local music shop would be a good place to start - there's a couple in Manchester that have second hand pianos in stock, but they ain't cheap.

If you just want a very good piano, upright or not, Yamaha is a very well regarded manufacturer. You could get an excellent new upright for £2,500.

You could always buy second hand from Ebay or similar, but you'll need at least 4 mates to help move it into a big van, and it'll very likely need tuning once it has been moved (£50 or so).

I plan to have one myself at some point, right now I just have a crappy 100+ years old German upright that is quite worn out. When you have a play on a good grand piano, you begin to realise just how crap your own piano is :)

My advice - buy from a music shop, second hand. Upright or grand.

Hmm. There seem to be a really steep price tag, especially on the grand pianos. Have played on a few upright ones but were never really satisfied with the sound. And i guess a grand one would be too much of a pain to get into an apartment even if there is enough room. 2500 quid for an upright one is a bit too much, so i´m guessing i´ll have to look at second hand stores. If i can find something in the 1000£ range with a good sound i´d be more than satisfied.

Who's it for? How much space do you have? Whats your budget?

Its for me, been playing piano for about a year now. I am moving into a 68 m^2 apartment. Budget is stated above, 1000£ range.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Its for me, been playing piano for about a year now. I am moving into a 68 m^2 apartment. Budget is stated above, 1000£ range.

Decent musical instruments are expensive. Piano's are one of the more expensive instruments. If you really wanted a grand, I think your best option would be a second hand baby grand but they would still be ~£3000

Have you considered going for a digital piano? You could get a really good one and be have plenty of change left. You say you have only played for a year so unless you are Mozart you aren't going to notice the difference. They have several advantages:
1) Semi-portable
2) Don't need tuning.
3) You can plug in head phones, for if you want to practise at anti-social times! Yo say you are moving into a new apartment, noise could be an issue.
4) They can do more than just make piano sounds.
5) They can be plugged into a computer if you want to record yourself etc.

Chilly

Balls of steel
My mum(who plays the cello mainly) bought a fucked Nth hand one at auction for about 8 grand and had it restored for another 5k or so. And it's not even a full grand but it is fuckin big. Thing is she has a purpose built studio to play hers in and it sounds beautiful - she does proper recordings in there etc.

old.user4556

My mum does recordings too, but of a special kind... :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Have you considered going for a digital piano? You could get a really good one and be have plenty of change left. You say you have only played for a year so unless you are Mozart you aren't going to notice the difference.

Digital Pianos are a good option but you're mistaken on that point - they are noticeably different in sound quality to a good acoustic piano. Most of them are limited by the lack of a proper case and decent soundboard, relying instead on speakers and enclosures to do the job.

Good digital baby grands can cost a hell of a lot.

Fettoken, go to a local music shop and ask about their second-hand uprights. You shouldn't have a problem getting one for your budget. Factor in £100 a year for tuning.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Digital Pianos are a good option but you're mistaken on that point - they are noticeably different in sound quality to a good acoustic piano. Most of them are limited by the lack of a proper case and decent soundboard, relying instead on speakers and enclosures to do the job.

I'll admit I don't play the piano, I play the violin but am accompanied by pianist alot. Of course the room makes a difference to sound but I rarely notice the difference between the uprights and the digital pianos. And its more often to have digital pianos during a performance because there is not always a decent tuned piano at the venue, (assuming its a church or some other small local venue)

You may well be right that alot of digital pianos do have a limited sound quality but I don't feel that is always the case.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well - which do you prefer, an acoustic violin, or a digital violin where the sound comes from a speaker? ;)

old.user4556

Must.....not.....get.....mentle.....image.....

too late :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom