Science Buy Organic

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Science says: Buy Organic Food.

SCIENCE damnit said:
It is definitely an emergency...This is a real, global, dramatic problem.

If you buy organic food, you make sure the land is used less intensively. There are a lot of studies that show organic farming is better for insects than intensive farming. It is quite logical.

It's not an I-told-you-so post. We already know flora and fauna are experiencing the fastest rate of mass extinction in the last 65 million years (when we lost 76% of life on earth) - estimates of 30-50% of species are predicted to head towards extinction by the middle of the century. But insect loss is greater than vertebrate loss (and there's been a dramatic decline in 60% of vertebrate populations since the 1970s) - and has compounding effects.

We can't continue to pump chemicals into the environment to fix the problem of too many fucking humans consuming too much stuff on a finite planet. Even fucking Michael Gove has been harping on about the fact that large swathes of UK farmland could be infertile in the next 40 years because of the farming methods we're using. But that's for dick without insects anyway.

I 100% think the reason we haven't detected a single signal from intelligent life in the universe - despite the fact we punt them into space at a rate and have been doing for 100 years - is that our current level of technological achievement brings with it our ultimate demise because we're ill-equipped mentally to make the necessary changes to halt our own extinction. And that same problem hits all so-called intelligent life out there.

So the first thing to do is to sterilise @Gwadien, quickly. THen everyone needs to buy organic food. It's more expensive but doesn't fuck the planet quite so much.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
We need to go back in time and give your mum loads of heroin whilst she was pregnant, then you'll come out as a vegetable then we can eat you.

Pretty organic.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Scouse you really are the Leonardo DiCaprio of FH.

BTW There were reports a little ago saying that it wasn't quite as clear cut as that when it comes to organic since it uses larger amounts of land but eating less would probably produce the best results all round.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Scouse you really are the Leonardo DiCaprio of FH.

BTW There were reports a little ago saying that it wasn't quite as clear cut as that when it comes to organic since it uses larger amounts of land but eating less would probably produce the best results all round.
What's Leo doing? I'm totally unaware.

Yep, organic farming is less intensive. But then that's the point - back to how nature did it, accepting some food losses. It does use more land - but then if we adjust our diets as we're supposed to be doing then we'll reclaim whole swathes of land from unsustainable cattle farming and hit our climate change targets to boot.

I know an organic farmer (missus' best mate's family have a smallholding in Worcester) and they've been producing succesfully and sustainably for years - and they're managing to massively ramp up their intensity without any chemical useage. Changing to that model, or something similar, is clearly a *must* if we're going to preserve soil fertility, our flora, fauna and insectoid friends and, well, survive as a species.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Most important news story, way more important than Brexit, yet only 3 replies, one of them mine.

Anyway - the UN says the world's food supply is under severe threat.

If buying organic food, which adds a few quid onto your shop, is all the change you need to make to make a real difference, why not do it?

that article said:
The report found evidence that attitudes and practices were slowly changing. In recent years, there has been a greater uptake in sustainable forest management, ecosystem approaches to fisheries, aquaponics and polyculture. But the authors said there had been insufficient progress. Organic agriculture, for example, now covers 58m hectares (143m acres) worldwide, but this is only 1% of global farmland.

Give it the economic boost it needs and consume less pesticide residue as a result and see zero change in what you eat? Win-win-win, no? :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I found a picture of a Trans Scouse.

tquqxe8luni21.jpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Is it just that this problem is too huge to fit in most people's minds?

I mean: the United Nation's Trade and Environment Review 2013 called one of their reports about the need to bring about small scale organic agricultural practice: "Wake up before it's too late"

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You know his habit to also preach about the saving the environment while living the jet set lifestyle using planes and yachts etc.
Got no kids, got no pets, (that alone means I should get a free ride emissions-wise compared to other humans). And I generally amuse myself by riding a bike :)

Nice to see you're not "waking up before it's too late" as the United Nations has asked you to do tho :(

Embattle

FH is my second home
Excuse me but didn't you just come back from Thailand, I'm fairly sure you didn't teleport there and I seriously doubt it is something you do once every 10 years. How do you get to these locations to ride and once at them do you actually stick to the trail or like quite a few off roaders do to increase the thrill do you actually end up cutting new lines in trails.

I don't deny action needs to be taken regarding food, but I tend to think we shouldn't eat so much and certainly shouldn't waste so much with 1/3rd of all food wasted I'm not convinced by the Organic argument.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Excuse me but didn't you just come back from Thailand
I already answered this question:
Got no kids, got no pets, (that alone means I should get a free ride emissions-wise compared to other humans)
So tough titties. Got kids @Embattle? The single worst thing a human can do to the environment? I haven't. So FU buddy :p

I will not entertain the "everybody has to live like a monk before being "allowed" to have an opinion" shite that people like to band around in a weak-ass attempt to play the man and not the ball. Regardless of the no-kids jibe, I'm miles ahead of the curve of the average westerner when it comes to my environmental credentials so your "argument" don't wash.

do you actually stick to the trail or like quite a few off roaders do to increase the thrill do you actually end up cutting new lines in trails.
I don't build trails, but even if I did, you cannot be seriously equating the cutting of trails to be ridden by bikes to the wholesale devastation of our natural environment by industrial chemical usage and intensive farming?

Oh what? You are?? You just want to turn this into a "have a go at scouse" thread? I get it.

I don't deny action needs to be taken regarding food, but I tend to think we shouldn't eat so much and certainly shouldn't waste so much with 1/3rd of all food wasted I'm not convinced by the Organic argument.
I agree with your food waste point, but absolutely the "Organic Argument" has been won. Wholesale intensive industrial farming is the problem.

So do what the scientists have asked eh? Buy organic.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I already answered this question:

So tough titties. Got kids @Embattle? The single worst thing a human can do to the environment? I haven't. So FU buddy :p

I will not entertain the "everybody has to live like a monk before being "allowed" to have an opinion" shite that people like to band around in a weak-ass attempt to play the man and not the ball. Regardless of the no-kids jibe, I'm miles ahead of the curve of the average westerner when it comes to my environmental credentials so your "argument" don't wash.

I don't build trails, but even if I did, you cannot be seriously equating the cutting of trails to be ridden by bikes to the wholesale devastation of our natural environment by industrial chemical usage and intensive farming?

Oh what? You are?? You just want to turn this into a "have a go at scouse" thread? I get it.

I agree with your food waste point, but absolutely the "Organic Argument" has been won. Wholesale intensive industrial farming is the problem.

So do what the scientists have asked eh? Buy organic.

1. I don't have kids.
  2. Nothing about living like a Monk but preaching gets boring from those who are multiple offenders of doing so but not living up to those ideals they tend to preach on which as you well know I've criticised you about before, hence the Leo reference but moving on.
  3. My comment relates to those who ride off the trails they go to ride, in essence widening them and causing excessive damage.
  4. To win it has to actually has to have higher sales than non organic and while it has grown faster it still only represents 1.5% of the total food and drink market. (https://www.soilassociation.org/cer...s-reached-its-highest-sales-ever-at-over-22b/)
  5. The main issue with organic food is and always has been the same, it is still more expensive than non organic food and that is why there is more of a push recently to push in as "quality" produce.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Why are you wilfully ignoring the whole point of the thread and discussing irrelevancies?

Future food production must be either organic or something we don't have yet in order to save. the. planet.

Our current farming methods are killing us. The fact that organic is 1% of global food market was in the very first post. Food "quality" is utterly irrelevant.

I find it absolutely baffling that when faced with such a stark warning humans just ignore it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh rly? Well blow me. I guess I'd never thought of that before.

And I thought you said this:
Nothing about living like a Monk
Or should the fact that I'm already miles ahead of, lets be honest here - you - environmentally mean that I should also now never travel?

Also, once again, this thread is about ecosystem damage due to industrial farming. Perhaps you'd enter into a debate instead of sitting on the sidelines sniping like a child?

Now kindly explain:
More shocking than the above?

Is it just that it's much smaller scale, so therefore more understandable?

I mean, compared to the potential global extinction of life-sustaining ecosystems a couple of million tonnes into an already-dead reef is pish.
Upset about a million tonnes of sludge in australia, but don't give a shit about the wholesale destruction of nature on a global level?

It's a serious question. Why don't you want to face it?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
It's fucked up.

I eat lots less meat (probably once a week) after looking at the stats of meat contribution to destroying the planet.

It's a small change, but if everyone did it, it'd have a major impact.

I think it's people not wanting to be told being what to do.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think it's people not wanting to be told being what to do.
I tried to address that in the very first post as I knew it'd be a thing. I deliberately stated that this wasn't an I-told-you-so thread and posted about the science. About the fact that it's an existential issue.

It's way more important than climate change. And the immediate solution is something that everyone can literally buy into - and it doesn't require massive (or any) changes to anyone's lifestyle - like addressing climate change probably will.

It's as simple as spending a few extra quid a week and buying organic to the exclusion of intensively farmed foodstuffs. You get to eat exactly the same stuff, yet don't destruct the biosphere that we depend on for our continued existence.

And yet, you get a real demonstration of why some people think democracy is utterly retarded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom