PC Master Race Build me a PC!

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Hi guys, I'm sure I've posted about 3 of these already over the years since building my last machine, but this time I'm hoping to buy one this weekend. My current machine has completely bit the bullet, so it's about time I upgraded. The fact I'm in a better job now probably helps too. :p

I'm looking to spend around £800 on it, I don't need any peripherals or Windows (yay MSDN account through work) and I'm hoping to play the most recent games on it while looking pretty as fuck (the games, not me, that parts covered). I don't know if it's possible to futureproof for VR on this budget or if my budget could afford me such a computer, but if it's VR capable then great.

My only real request is not having a tower taller than 18 inches, and ideally it's a pretty minimal looking one, with usb/headphone ports on the top of it.

Thanks!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
This is about the worst time possible to be buying a new rig.
We're 3-4 weeks till zens shipping and intel price drops.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
This is about the worst time possible to be buying a new rig.
We're 3-4 weeks till zens shipping and intel price drops.
How significant are we talking in price drops? Not sure I want to wait a month before buying.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Depends how well AMD's offerings perform and how much they worry Intel. Early signs are good (for AMD).

ECA

I am a FH squatter
We literally don't know there's only rumours, leaks and speculation. For eg though the 8core/16thread amd priced at $600 competes with intels $1300 8c/16t.
We really don't know what's going on with desktop processors yet. Maybe 6c/12t for £300 at similar performance to 7700k though.

Intel are already reacting - there's an i3k , an i5 with hyperthreading and an upgraded 7700k to 7740k in the pipeline soon.

This is the biggest shakeup in cpu performance/pricing for the last 10 years... tldr... I'd really wait if I were you.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Right, I'll hang fire then. Is 3-4 weeks for this just an estimate on releases or will we definitely know for sure what's best around then?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
or....you could buy my old AMD. 4.6GHz OC, water cooler, 16GB ram ;)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Right, I'll hang fire then. Is 3-4 weeks for this just an estimate on releases or will we definitely know for sure what's best around then?

"Early March" is the current availability date. Who knows how fast intel will be to respond with price drops.

Also you should clear up what other spec points your looking for - ie is this 1080p gaming, VR, 1440/144hz, storage requirements etc.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
1080p gaming, I wouldn't mind it being able to run VR (although if it's possible for my price range, I don't know), I'm not entirely sure what you're asking with 1440/144Hz other than refresh rate, does that effect much? Storage I wouldn't mind a 500gb/1tb hdd and a reasonable SSD for the OS etc.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
1080p gaming, I wouldn't mind it being able to run VR (although if it's possible for my price range, I don't know), I'm not entirely sure what you're asking with 1440/144Hz other than refresh rate, does that effect much? Storage I wouldn't mind a 500gb/1tb hdd and a reasonable SSD for the OS etc.
Might as well get 2 or 3 tb hdd. And 1440 is a resolution. How high the res is. Iirc. And yes 144 hz refresh rate.

TdC

I bid £20! Or €20, it's the same thing now :p

tss tis an awesome thing. I can look up the actual parts if you're remotely interested. I still have all the boxes and stuff. you'll have to get GFX, case, PSU and some storage.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Might as well get 2 or 3 tb hdd. And 1440 is a resolution. How high the res is. Iirc. And yes 144 hz refresh rate.
Ah, by 1440 you guys mean 1440p then? I imagine 1080p would probably be enough. My knowledge of these things is very out of date if you couldn't tell, haha.

From doing a bit of reading, I'd need a beast of a rig to every see the benefits of 144hz, above 60fps isn't the difference negligible?

And how old are your parts @TdC ?

TdC

Dys is correct. As for the parts Billy wants to know about...uh....3 years old? I can look them up. It's an AMD Vishera CPU. 8 cores, 4.6GHz. High end mobo, 16GB ram. Water cooler is one of the Corsairs. I had two GTX 970's in mine which ran 1440p with no probs. You could get a 1070 or something similar to run 1440p with all the eye candy on with no issues. tis a bit late or Id give you a real list. Only thing against the AMD is that you'll certainly see it on your monthly leccy bill haha

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
above 60fps isn't the difference negligible?
I hate this myth. Probably brought around by console users. It's massive. 60-80 is hewuge. 80-100 is pretty big. Above 100 less so.

120fps looks really nice if you've got a monitor that supports it.

But then, my old Phenom processor and 7870 does me fine. Games are shite nowadays. Held back by consoles. Why bother upgrading ;)

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Cheers @Jupitus but I think I'd rather buy all my gear new if possible though :)

And @Scouse give the console bashing a rest man, you've got me this far into buying a PC, don't make me buy a Switch or some shit in protest :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom