Bugger

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Well, its been a fairly crap week for British sport. Ah well, it least it wasn't Alonso.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Yes... Now I get why the yanks don't bother... Football, Rugby and F1... :mad:

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The yanks solved this problem by making their own sports up.
Indycar, nascar, american football, baseball, ice hockey, who really gives a shit apart from japan and baseball and canada and ice hockey?

Thadius

Part of the furniture
American sports are basically girl versions of our sports, with the exception of ice hockey. But thats Canadaian anyway! :p

American Football - Rugby with lots of padding
Baseball - Rounders, ie the sport girls usually play in High School
Basketball - Netball, see Baseball

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Only reason American Footballers wear padding is the authorities got fed up with people dying on the field of play due to injuries. But then hey wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of slagging the Yanks off.

I'm guessing we're also ignoring Baseball is just their version of cricket (and I know which I'd rather watch, and it aint the one that takes 5 days) and Basketball is the bloke's version of Netball. They're also pretty big fans of Xtreme Sports, which last time I checked was a bit more dangerous than snooker.

Or could you just be chatting shit? Hmmmmmm?

DaGaffer

Only reason American Footballers wear padding is the authorities got fed up with people dying on the field of play due to injuries. But then hey wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of slagging the Yanks off.

I'm guessing we're also ignoring Baseball is just their version of cricket (and I know which I'd rather watch, and it aint the one that takes 5 days) and Basketball is the bloke's version of Netball. They're also pretty big fans of Xtreme Sports, which last time I checked was a bit more dangerous than snooker.

Or could you just be chatting shit? Hmmmmmm?

I'd generally agree about Rugby v. American football; they're both as violent, but lets be honest, the nature of American football means there are more violent collisions per game because of the way its designed (off the ball contact is not only allowed but required, unlike rugby). Of course, the pads have actually made it more violent; you're allowed to tackle in places that weren't allowed before pads.

I also agree about baseball, both are fucking dull, but baseball slightly less so.

Not that this alters the fact that American sport reflects a worryingly isolationist worldview.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I don't give a flying fuck about the Yanks, and nor does anyone else.
They're shit at all sports, so as was said, make their own up, make sure noone else is included and pronounce themselves Best in the World at it.

Fantastic - whatever makes them feel big. At least the British can be proud and continue to live up to being the "plucky runners up".

But in full agreement about F1 - At least it wasn't Alonso. I'm hoping the greasy twat ends up in a mid running team next year, gets fed up because his "crap" team mate outperforms him then has a hissy fit and quits mid-season. No sport needs that.

Actually, scratch that - back to the first topic, he should fuck off to Nascar with the rest of F1's rejects and fat americans.

For the record, I'm the best in the world at marmalade and pretzel wrestling.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Nicky Hayden is pretty damn good at a pretty damn good sport.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Fair enough, theres always one :D It's a big country, bound to be ;)

But, confirmation of rumours that Dennis and Hamilton were a little bit closer than previously thought has arrived:

45351_2.jpg

Opt1

Fledgling Freddie
I think the way the England rugby team turned it around through sheer force of will and determination when absolutely everyone had written them off and was putting them down is something to be proud of.

Since when was reaching the final not something to be proud of? Especially considering how stacked the odds were against of..

Am friggin' proud. Its been a great couple of weeks for English rugby and I hope the game will be able to move on from here positively - unlike when we won the final and the whole thing collapsed into the shambles it was at the start of the tournament.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
But then hey wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of slagging the Yanks off.
Indeed we wouldn't, facts don't get in the way of them starting wars so why should they stop our mindless ranting! :p

mank!

Part of the furniture
at least we're not australian, sweeping aside everyone in every sport ever.

bugger :(

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Sigh, and it looks like O'Sullivan is gonna get beat in a final... again. :(

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
We are all missing the point here......Hamilton is a cock.

Kryten

Old Cow.
It wasn't likely to happen, last race, they'd get away with it.
Imagine Jean Todt handing the trophy back over to Ron Dennis for Lewis.
Won't happen ;)

DaGaffer

And there could yet be one last twist in this most bizarre of F1 seasons.

RB

I can understand McLaren's frustrations but, seriously, what? They need to accept that they fucked it up in China when they didn't bring Hamilton in early enough, and then again yesterday when they didn't fuel Hamilton to the end (plus of course Hamilton's impetuousness at the start - although the gearbox thing would have screwed him anyway). Whining about fuel temperatures that would, at best give Williams and BMW about 2 seconds over the whole race, just makes them look like dicks.

Trem said:
We are all missing the point here......Hamilton is a cock.

And your point is? Alonso is certainly worse, and you can count the number of Formula 1 drivers in the last ten years who are not "cocks" on the fingers of one hand.

Trem

My point is hes a cock.

Face like a smacked arse everytime something doesn't go his way.

Damon Hill was how drivers should be.

Lewis Hamilton is a mardy cock.

DaGaffer

My point is hes a cock.

Face like a smacked arse everytime something doesn't go his way.

Damon Hill was how drivers should be.

Lewis Hamilton is a mardy cock.

Well if you want to play that game, Jim Clark was really how drivers should be, or James Hunt. But the fact is, even back in the days of real sportsmanship, there were still plenty of "cocks" in F1. These days its just part and parcel of being an F1 driver, and Hamilton is just a product of the system (after all Schumacher was the most successful cock of all). Having said that, Raikonnen is probably the least prima-dona-ish of the current F1 set; he doesn't give a fuck about PR (which is why he always sounds so terrible in interviews) and he likes a beer or ten, so he's fine in my book. I just wish it wasn't Ferrari winning the title again.

Trem

I dunno, it always seems right somehow for Ferrari to win, you know what I mean?

I have really old books and pics of my dads with Ferrari racing cars in them and they just look like they should be there...........the spirit thats what I mean Ferrari have the spirit of racing or something........NURSE!

I just don't like Hamilton, like I didn't like Stephen Hendry and like I don't like Tiger Woods, they all look and act like mardy fucks when something goes tits up.

Trem

When have you ever seen my face when something goes tits up?

Are you that fucker sitting in my tree at the bottom of the garden?

Seriously though, bollocks :eek:

Trem

Cally - balls :D (I can read deleted posts)

Back to an earlier point, America has produced the best boxers to have ever lived, didn't we invent that sport? They also beat us at football a few years back and they looked decent in the world cup . They win shit loads in the olympics as well. The list could go on.

Baseball is such a shit game though :eek:

DaGaffer

Cally - balls :D (I can read deleted posts)

Back to an earlier point, America has produced the best boxers to have ever lived, didn't we invent that sport? They also beat us at football a few years back and they looked decent in the world cup . They win shit loads in the olympics as well. The list could go on.

Baseball is such a shit game though :eek:

Boxing isn't a great example of American sporting prowess; the US promoters have long controlled the market to minimise the influence of "furriners". There are more American champions simply because more Americans get championship fights; the Cubans are probably the best boxing nation in the world per head of population. Ditto the Olympics, American success largely reflects the size of their population; per head the Aussies have absolutely stuffed them over the last few Olympics and the Brit v. US Gold medal tally per head of population almost exactly reflects population size (Britain has 20% of the US population, and 20% of the Gold medals). As for football, that's more a reflection of our own weakness than their strength, in general the Americans are distinctly second-division compared to the top Europeans and South Americans, even if their (thanks to membership of CONCAF) world ranking says otherwise.

There's no denying the US has some of the world's best sportsmen and women, but, there's also no denying that overall there's US sport, and the rest of the world's sport, and they're rather different.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Lol Trem, I thought it was a pretty lame reference to the garden thing so I deleted it. You and me don't agree on anything though, I already like Hamilton a lot more than I ever liked Hill. :(

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Wow I thought Yoni and I were the only ones that could see thru the media bullshit and recognize Hamiltard for the cockend he really is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom