Buffbots, Will you use one?

Hotrats

Fledgling Freddie
Yoni said:
I think you need to see for yourself :/

The buffs are split through out the classes.

As for rezzing not only a priest can rez, durid (although 30min cool down) / shaman and pally can also.

Also as Krunch-X said the community buff you lots anyway. I just think you are wasting your money that and as I stated earlier you can have two characters on the same account so you can level them both to 60 and choose which one is needed by your group.

This is not DAOC nor is it EQ or EQ2 yes it is an RPG but not as you have played one before....
Hehe well I hope so :)

Even if it does turn out ot be a waste I'm not gonna get too upset about losing £30 anyway.

Oh and I know the buffs are split through the classes, I'm not making it to buff me, I'm making it for reasons as stated earlier in post :) Levelling two chars on the same account will take longer than levelling two on two different accounts at the same time as you can't have them both logged in at the same time. Plus I might be able to entice my rl friends to play and they will be able to just log in on my 2nd account with me still on my first :D

Vae

Resident Freddy
One of the things that finally killed Daoc off for me was the necessity of having a buffbot to even stand half a chance. The other main thing was having to have a fotm group as well as a buffbot to stand the other half of a chance :(

SoulFly

Can't get enough of FH
Yoni said:
You don't need a bb though in WoW anyone who has actually played this game for longer than 4 hours knows this.
Tis true that you don't. But when\if I get my hands on a druid, I will use it X)

Alpha Male

One of Freddy's beloved
Hotrats said:
Then people (e.g. the new Alpha) began to realise a 50 enhance cleric really does make a char insanely overpowered when fighting unbuffed peeps and used them to gain an advantage.

50 Smite cleric with 9 enhance was all i used untill respecs came out...but i got the idea from Jazhara ;)

sko

Loyal Freddie
May you burn long and well for mentioning buffbots ..

Nugusta

One of Freddy's beloved
sko said:
May you burn long and well for mentioning buffbots ..

You get the firewood, ill get the crucifix and staple gun!

Edit: Someone bring some matches. Ardee at 5pm tomorrow peeps!

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
Lets also not forget that Shaman can purge your buffs and Preists can dispell buffs.

Hotrats

Fledgling Freddie
Alpha Male said:
50 Smite cleric with 9 enhance was all i used untill respecs came out...but i got the idea from Jazhara ;)
Hehe yeah I remember Jazhara having a bot right from the start of daoc, pretty sure it was cus she had played the us version and therefore already knew how much of an advantage they could be. For those that might remember her if they saw her, here is a screenie I found :) http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ripple/Howards/Dark Age of Camelot Screenshots/Jazhara.jpg

I forgot Gromit was smite to start with, to be honest if I could play daoc again from release I would have made a smite cleric and a minstrel (2 accounts). I wouldn't have used the cleric as a buffbot though as there was no need until at least the arrival of See Hidden, but smite clerics were hella fun in rvr till they got nerfed and I would have loved to have had my own (I did manage to play a friends a few times though).

Chesnox

Fledgling Freddie
Buffbots didn't really catch on in DaoC until people were high level and could afford to level a high aug shammy/cleric/druid. That and playing 2 accounts on old school DaoC was pretty hard due to the crash to desktop "feature" of DaoC back then, so it was a dual box gig. There was someone I remember in very early retail levelling a SM and pac healer together, but it was more so he could solo when not grouped, not to pwnz0r Emain.

In WoW, I honestly think levelling 2 chars will be as slow or only slightly faster than levelling 1. Soloing I can rip through mobs more efficiently controlling 1 character to the best of my ability that 2. And grouping is only really necessary for elites or instances, and those groups are pretty easy to come by tbh, unless you are anti-social or commited to soloing.

As for priests dispel and shaman purge, those spells aren't that useful if your dual boxing (or worse, 2 accs on 1 pc) as they have better stuff in the toybox than those spells, imho.

Alpha Male

One of Freddy's beloved
Hotrats said:
Hehe yeah I remember Jazhara having a bot right from the start of daoc, pretty sure it was cus she had played the us version and therefore already knew how much of an advantage they could be. For those that might remember her if they saw her, here is a screenie I found :) http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ripple/Howards/Dark Age of Camelot Screenshots/Jazhara.jpg

I forgot Gromit was smite to start with, to be honest if I could play daoc again from release I would have made a smite cleric and a minstrel (2 accounts). I wouldn't have used the cleric as a buffbot though as there was no need until at least the arrival of See Hidden, but smite clerics were hella fun in rvr till they got nerfed and I would have loved to have had my own (I did manage to play a friends a few times though).

I played Gromit till rr4 and a bit...was fun as smite, but way way oped ;)

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
still think bbots gots so popular in daoc cause the smite nerf :p

Arweena

Fledgling Freddie
Turamber said:
BB will not work in WoW, I think some of our posters need to check their DAoC mentality at the door. The buffs are widespread and on timers, plus when you die you are not thrown back to the same starting point - you are rezzed at the nearest graveyard which, in the most interesting places, is usually an enemy town.

If you depend on your buffs you will have to travel back to your bot, rebuff then head back to wherever you were fighting.

I guess some people will use them but, imho, they will be of spectacularly little value and a pain to use.

Rambo[DS said:
what he said..

plus daoc buffs last forever while wow buffs have a maximum timer of 30 minutes and what everyone said : there isnt one class wich can buff you more than 2-3 buffs.
So, Buy a second account/pay every month/level it/run to your bot everytime you die/get couple buffs only.... just not worthy

What they said....

Hotrats

Fledgling Freddie
Chesnox said:
Buffbots didn't really catch on in DaoC until people were high level and could afford to level a high aug shammy/cleric/druid. That and playing 2 accounts on old school DaoC was pretty hard due to the crash to desktop "feature" of DaoC back then, so it was a dual box gig. There was someone I remember in very early retail levelling a SM and pac healer together, but it was more so he could solo when not grouped, not to pwnz0r Emain.

In WoW, I honestly think levelling 2 chars will be as slow or only slightly faster than levelling 1. Soloing I can rip through mobs more efficiently controlling 1 character to the best of my ability that 2. And grouping is only really necessary for elites or instances, and those groups are pretty easy to come by tbh, unless you are anti-social or commited to soloing.
From the little I have played of WoW I do agree that duo'ing doesn't seem to be that much faster (if at all) than soloing. It's a good thing imo but kinda weird, usually combining the abilities of two classes ends up in a kill rate faster than you would get by soloing them both but WoW is a totally different game so I can beleive it.

I'll see how it goes, if it turns out I'm having trouble getting the full potential out of both my chars while playing them at once and it isn't gaining me much all I have to do is log one out and unsubscribe, after pve'ing so much with two chars at once in daoc it's hard to imagine only controlling one char again though :p

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
Chesnox said:
As for priests dispel and shaman purge, those spells aren't that useful if your dual boxing (or worse, 2 accs on 1 pc) as they have better stuff in the toybox than those spells, imho.

i would shoot any shaman or priest who doesnt think its worthwhile to cast an insta spell which shears your opponents buffs

i.e. purging druids buffs instantly removes loads of armour, resists and hps and at the moment it is impossible to rebuff mid-fight due to the extortionate mana costs

peder

Fledgling Freddie
i think i play some warriors and drutts.
good comonations. damage and defenses + healings and buffs.

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
Purge is well worth the cast, insta cast, 3 second recharge and purges 3 buffs.

You can sheer a good chunk of heath just by purgeing, it also has a very low mana cost.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
i hate the idea of buffbots in wow, i dunno how the battleground/rvr/whatever its called works in WoW, but as soon as one person starts using a bot, they become "overpowered" and will probably get rr10 or whatever the equivelant is within a matter of weeks or whatever the period of time is, simply because they will b too strong. once this person gains a reputation as "l33tus rouge pwns 2 warriors!!!!" or whatever, others think "if i get a BB ill pwnj00" and so it begins, first one buffbot, then 2, then 5 then 100, and :(, so aslong as no one starts using a BB and actualy plays with skill, not getting there extra 16 stats or 300 af or whatever the game remains fair. i wasnt around in the early days of BB's in daoc, but i presume it was something along these lines, and it DEFINATLY was in the end, i.e. cant kill anything coz there buffed and ur not, so u have to get a BB.

i believe blizzard have found a decent solution with this 30 min buff thing and giving each calss there own buffs etc.

i think the point was so that grps cant b opted etc. i.e. if you have a preist, a druid a warrior and 2 mages, you lack (for example) a second preist, which some say you need in pvp (i dont know i ahvent played yet im jsut really really hyper) so there will never be the perfect balanced group coz ull b lacking buffs, or heals, or say you drop your warrior and get something else etc etc etc etc, leaves WoW open to alot of variations in the end game, (and in the way up to that in pve :) as there will never be the perfect group.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i wasnt around in the early days of BB's in daoc, but i presume it was something along these lines, and it DEFINATLY was in the end, i.e. cant kill anything coz there buffed and ur not, so u have to get a BB.

i cant speak for everyone but i only got a "bot" because i had bought a new account so, in theory, me and brother could play at the same time, problem was i ended up just using my shammy to buff my new chars (this was late summer 2002)

and i dont think im the only one that discovered buff bots in that way :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom