Rant Bt

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
While the RANT prefix isn't necessary as the topic is entitled 'BT' I feel the extra emphasis is needed.

I live in a village which isn't miles out of the way but at the same time I don't expect mega speed either. I have received a reasonable ADSL speed of about 3mb from the Flitwick exchange for the last 2 years (since I moved here) and all was well.

Over the past 2 months however everyone I know who also lives here (about 5 mates) has started to have their speeds throttled and are now all limited to around 1mb or less. BT claim nothing is wrong and are helpful as always by asking the usual relevant questions but I am trying to work out what to do next.

Someone somewhere has clearly buggered something up and its messed up the whole area. I plan to ask all of my neighbours this week to do a speed-test. This is clearly not a coincidence.

Anybody had similar?

Ta

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Has there been any road works or other earth-shifting anywhere near your street's cabinet? What you need to do is run BT's speedtester one 3 separate occasions when you're not downloading or actively using your connection.
Test Result

The problem is that 1Mbps is considered acceptable by BT (even though it isn't in reality). Record the results as well as your router stats at each time. Get all the info together and put in a support ticket with your ISP saying you're not happy with the degradation of your line's speed.

BT will probably tell your ISP that all is fine and that it's the ISP's fault.
If you feel you're not getting any satisfaction, get your ISP to book an SFI Engineer visit from BT. Be warned, that can cost you £185 if they find nothing wrong or if it's on "your side" of the main BT box in your house. An SFI Engineer visit is when they look at everything to do with broadband on your line, from the exchange end, along the trunk, to the street cabinet, to the hatch at the end of your drive to the line into your house.

I had problems with my line which seemed to be BT's problem. They sent out an engineer who said there was nothing wrong and tried to hit my ISP with the £185. I still had a fault so my ISP told BT to do it again as there's a definite fault. The guy who came out was a star! He not only found that my trunk line had degraded but that I had poor joint contacts under the hatch at the end of my driveway. He resolved both problems and my speed jumped back up to my usual 4-5Mbps.

BT *WILL* try to blame anyone else but themselves.

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
ta for reply. BT are my ISP

I need to find out more about roadworks etc. There has been some I think. I guess my point is that it's not my house or my phone as everyone in this area seems to have been hit by this issue which is no coincidence. We are all with various providers but have the same thing in common, our speeds have all been dropped to < 1mb

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Happened to me, went from 3mb to 1.5 literally overnight. BT can't see this as a problem and say nothing is wrong. I have just fucked them off and gone to sky who gave me an unbeatable price, while I realise I won't get a better service or bandwidth, it will be costing my around a 6th of what BT think I should pay them.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Up to 3.7m since moving to Sky. I wouldn't touch BT again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom