BT - Taking the piss?

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
I'm on ADSL Max package with BT, aka upto 8mb.

I'm aware of the factors taken into consideration with line speed, aka distance from exchange and what not.

But is a broadband connection slower than 56k dial up acceptable, and are BT breaking their contract with me.

soze

I am a FH squatter
They would say no as they sell you upto 8mb which is a joke. But just calling them telling them the line is slow and get some one out too look at it. My bt download is a jok with a certian kind of download everything else is fine.

Belgerath

One of Freddy's beloved
Penlid i actually work for BT THD have u rang them? (u wont get me cause i work for NI specifically) but if u are getting a slow speed there is stuff we can do but we need to run a few test's first.

we can run a speed test and line check if u are below your speed threshold is it more than likely a BT wholesale problem which can be fixed easy enough.

Are BT breaking there contract? No your contract says up to 8 Meg.

Can we fix it? Yes but ring us :D

soze

I am a FH squatter
Penlid i actually work for BT THD have u rang them? (u wont get me cause i work for NI specifically) but if u are getting a slow speed there is stuff we can do but we need to run a few test's first.

we can run a speed test and line check if u are below your speed threshold is it more than likely a BT wholesale problem which can be fixed easy enough.

Are BT breaking there contract? No your contract says up to 8 Meg.

Can we fix it? Yes but ring us :D

If you work for BT do you know if they traffic shape on the phone they said they dont but the fact at 4pm every day radio streaming becomes impossible and so do cerian downloads. its not contention as they claim as its fine at 3.59 but screwed to 6kbs at 4.00

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
I have a direct number for an ireland call centre, well not really direct it changes between ireland and watford.

Err, i was on the phone once again today with BT and i asked them downright if BT we're infact breaking their contract by providing dial up on a broadband line and they told me that they were in fact breaking that contract.

I've had this problem for about a week now and i've had an engineer out to see if he could do anything, he was here for 5 mins and said lines good im off. But still, i'm getting speeds similar to 56k.

I've been through every single step i've been given and to no avail, there has been no fix. Checked routers, microfilters every possible thing they had written in front of them i've tried and they still cant fix it.

Now i want to cancel my contract with BT as i'm on Option 3 and can get the same with Sky for £5 a month.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have a direct number for an ireland call centre, well not really direct it changes between ireland and watford.

Err, i was on the phone once again today with BT and i asked them downright if BT we're infact breaking their contract by providing dial up on a broadband line and they told me that they were in fact breaking that contract.

I've had this problem for about a week now and i've had an engineer out to see if he could do anything, he was here for 5 mins and said lines good im off. But still, i'm getting speeds similar to 56k.

I've been through every single step i've been given and to no avail, there has been no fix. Checked routers, microfilters every possible thing they had written in front of them i've tried and they still cant fix it.

Now i want to cancel my contract with BT as i'm on Option 3 and can get the same with Sky for £5 a month.

Check the speed you router says its conected at mine is always 65000k 6.5mb but i dont get that speed because of contention. If that figure is not the speed you would expect report it call and ask for complaints and tell them if the lines fixed it must be the port on the exchange :) Or just tell them to stick it

Belgerath

One of Freddy's beloved

Pm me your Phone Number although i cant fix it (not allowed by my contract as different rules apply in NI i might have a better idea whats going on).

scorge

Fledgling Freddie

I'm aware of the factors taken into consideration with line speed, aka distance from exchange and what not.

But is a broadband connection slower than 56k dial up acceptable, and are BT breaking their contract with me.

I had that problem with virgin was getting dialup speed i switched to BE* and hey presto its 16MB i applied for 24MB speed but there is a tool which tells you how much you can actually get by looking at the line attenuation etc, the max i can get is 16MB's unless BT replace the line...

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

Actually they are :p last time I had dealings with pipex when I was getting very abysmal speeds (less than 70kb/s on an 8mb line) they pointed the fingert at BT and clearly said something along the lines of "This is an issue that can be fixed, if it isn't fixed we will take matters further with BT" also stating that on an 8mb broadband package the absolute minimum you should be getting is around 2mb's during peak hours... at the moment i'm on Supanet once again i'm getting the same problem as I was with pipex (less than 70kb/s) on an 8mb line during peak hours due to a BT exchange which can't support the peak traffic which might I add BT keep claiming they've fixed.

After peak hours from an adsl speedtest i'm getting 6300kb/s / 365kb/s (giving me roughly 800kb/s dl speed and 45kb/s upload speed)

During peak hours around 150kb/s / 365kb/s - Notice how the upload remains completely unaffected. - this makes me rather angry as I can't play bandwidth sensitive games at all...

Conclusion BT are a bunch of skin flint ***** that can do pretty much what they want due to owning most of the exchanges around england.

i'll post a few screenies after 6pm and show just how bad it is :p

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
BT do traffic shape, I cant find the official page it was from but they did admit it in the past, originally it was ony supposed to be for people who took the piss (100Gb a day kinda ppl), but now its blanket.

Check out some of the reports on thinkbroadband :: The UK's largest independent Broadband / ADSL review site - Your guide to UK broadband Internet. or Samknows for unbundling in your areas, and switch to an RDSL or max package is my advice, as they dont tend to use as much of BTs shite hardware as normal ADSL providers rely on.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
i downloaded a mind boggling 2 gig the other night and BT gave me shitty speeds the next day, i hope they get taken to the cleaners BBC NEWS | Technology | Net firms quizzed on speed limits Yes i live in the sticks but only 1-2 miles from the exchange, if i am paying for "up to" 8 meg i don't expect to get 250ish K

If you do have a problem you have to speak to some drone in India anyway, i have given up trying to get them to fix it, worthless company :(

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
Still on at BT for this, we now have a UK Advisor called James helping us, and he has been helpful.

We were from the 9th-12th getting a constant 1mb line, however something happened and its been fucked again since.

We found out we're now back on something called IP 500 aka 512kb circuit, now James is getting us back onto the MAX circuit and sorting a consistent and non intermitting speed.

Hopefully shall yield some results by Tuesday.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I called bt on Friday at 4pm when my Torrent dropped to 6k and was on over 100k i then downloaded a 170mb file form Microsoft.com and got 650k.
On the phone i said your traffic shaping me they said we are not. Got to complaints and a English person i said i know you are shaping me at 4pm on the dot my download dropped to a crawl. She said ohh thats contention or noise on the line. I asked how my Microsoft Download was hitting 650k. She said thats why my other download was going slow. So i told her i was not stupid and i was pausing that download using firefox. After about 5 more minutes of telling her i am not an idiot and it is not contention noise on my line or any of that shit my speed suddenly picked back up to 100k on my torrent. All weekend my connection has been flying. It makes me wonder what they really get up too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom