BT 'Mid Band' Trials

D

danger

Bt have announced they're planning to trial a new mid-band service early next year... it's planned to be 128k at an affordable price with some "always on" features... They say it could be rolled out to 97% of the population very quickly which would suggest it's some kind a of dual-ISDN hybrid.... rumour has it that it will be an affordable solution priced to compete with unmetered 56k dial up.. so we shall see....

By the looks of it I'm thinking it'll be 128k provided by the 2 B channels with always on email facilities via the permanently connected D-channel....

Speculation has also suggested it could be a bastardised ADSL service using mini DSLAMs or possibly a wireless source.... personally I'm fairly confident in the above ISDN hybrid... purely because BT already have the infrastructure in place....

There's a slight mention of it in the recent :
BT press release.

What do you think? Personally if it's priced right, as in to compete with unmetered 56k then it's certainly a step in the right direction!

I'd consider getting that if my current ADSL situation doesn't resolve....

O

old.Jas

I doubt its wireless... your prolly right on the ISDN. Looks like a good way to get semi-broadband to the masses (price & coverage wise)

D

danger

I mean if I can't get ADSL now I'd go for that.... Ideally I'd have 1mbit cable (wouldn't mind paying for it at all!) but no cable..... so if no DSL then it's "mid-band" heh I'm thinking it'll probs be ISDN2e provided in addition to a standard analogue line with ISP/call charges thrown in...

P

PR.

ntl: have had 128k for £14 iirc for a long time and if your needs increase you can just increase your speed on the web

W

Wilier

since I cant get isdn, I doubt I'll be able to get that either :(

I am the shitty end of the 97%

D

danger

Originally posted by PR.
ntl: have had 128k for £14 iirc for a long time and if your needs increase you can just increase your speed on the web

Yeah but fuck knows how many people can't get cable..... if NTL cabled into my area I'd order 1mbit cable right away!

But they won't...

U

[UKLans]Khan

Mid-band is 128k [dual 64k lines binded togeather] and is due for tests in March next year.

It is based on BT home higway but with an "ALL IN" cost of around £20/£25.

I've been reading up on it due to the lack of dsl in my area. Will be a better altenative than crappy old 56k.

Read all about it here:

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1137108

Khan

D

danger

Doesn't say any more than what I posted before other than some speculation of the price....

Thought BT might have announced something more by now! :rolleyes:

U

[UKLans]Khan

the fact that we have to wait until March until a trial is bad enough. I wounder how long the trial will last.

Khan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom