BT Fibre Broadband - anyone in the trial area?

Embattle

FH is my second home
I suspect for the bulk of people it'll mean nothing at all.

Nate

FH is my second home
I'm still on half a meg, what hope do I have of ever getting fibre where I am :p

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It says the trial actually finishes in a couple of months anyway - sod signing up to BT Total Broadband for an 18month contract for that.

And 18 month contracts for broadband? Wuh?

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I've been following this with my ISP because they're jumping on board with the trial.

BT are running fibre to the streetside cabinets from the exchanges in the trial. You still connect with your regular copper to cabinet and the termination equipment is placed inside it. The cabinet may only be a couple of hundred metres away from your home so you're likely to get a major boost in speed... IF you're in a trial area. Bear in mind that "BT Infinity" has a stupidly small bandwidth limit if you go for the cheap option.

Fastest speed seen on a test connection for my ISP is 47Mbps.
If my exchange ever got the fibre treatment, I would expect about 35-40Mbps because I can see the cabinet from my house. :)

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah good old BT boasting they have something I had when NTL where around

Litmus

Resident Freddy
Sooooo, BT are gonna dig up all the roads and put there own cable in or just "rent" it off Virgin Media?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Sooooo, BT are gonna dig up all the roads and put there own cable in or just "rent" it off Virgin Media?

They don't really need to dig up massive parts of the country since the fibre is just threaded through the exisiting pipes normally.

rynnor

Rockhound
They don't really need to dig up massive parts of the country since the fibre is just threaded through the exisiting pipes normally.

Hmm - you sure about that?

I know theres a seperate group talking about running cables thru the sewers but I dont think its trivial - good for surfing on the bog tho :p

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Hmm - you sure about that?

I know theres a seperate group talking about running cables thru the sewers but I dont think its trivial - good for surfing on the bog tho :p
You mean these guys?
FS - H2O Networks

I've been following them for a year or so as well.
It helps their R&D facility is 5 miles down the road, so maybe we'l get fast fibre soon?
I can hope can't I? :)

rynnor

Rockhound
You mean these guys?
FS - H2O Networks

I've been following them for a year or so as well.
It helps their R&D facility is 5 miles down the road, so maybe we'l get fast fibre soon?
I can hope can't I? :)

Its pretty crap how bad rollout of broadband is in the UK - we should just bite the bullet and put in a decent network that covers the entire nation - not cheap but it creates jobs in a multitude of ways.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Its pretty crap how bad rollout of broadband is in the UK - we should just bite the bullet and put in a decent network that covers the entire nation - not cheap but it creates jobs in a multitude of ways.

I agree the UK is something like 46th out of 65 countries on speedtest.net it's shocking just how bad it is.

What makes me laugh is we are just starting to see 50meg broadband packages yet Korea/Japan pretty much have 100meg download as standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom