Help BSOD's all the time!

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I'm getting a lot of BSOD's at the moment (pfn_list_corrupt, memory_management and bad_pool_caller).

I've done virus scans (MSE and AVG) in safe mode which returned no viruses, i've run the built in memory checker in windows, which also returned no faults. I also ran verifier, as i thought it may be a driver issue, and that did seem to return something. When I restarted my PC after running verifier it was giving BSOD on startup saying there was unverified drivers. I had to run the built in startup fixer thing in windows, which said it couldnt fix the issue, but stopped the BSOD on startup.

Does anyone know what I should do next?

Cheers

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
What happens if you run it in safe mode? Does it still fall over?

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
I'd start with a full hdd check-up. Oh and, backup your files.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
checkdsk.

Go to Computer -> rightclick on your partition -> rightclick on proportions -> Extra -> Check now (I think, mine's in Dutch) -> Select both boxes that popup (automatically repair errors in the files system and repair damaged sectors). If it's your windows partition (which in this case it should be) you have to restart your computer and it will check it before windows starts. It may take a couple of hours btw.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Run safe mode, run chkdsk as suggested, run a driver cleaner if you can if you suspect it's a driver issue to try and get windows back to using basic VGA.

If this was something that occurred after you changed systems settings try rolling back with System Restore.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Thanks guys. Can you recommend a good driver cleaner Mystic g?

Chkdsk returned no errors.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
No BSOD's since I used driver sweeper a few hours ago, so fingers crossed! Cheers folks for the help.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
BSOD's all the time again. Football Manager, Firefox and Chrome crashing all time...

I think i'm going to do a full HD wipe and windows reinstall. I have a genuine windows ISO on my Hard Drive (dl'ed from MSDN when at Uni), but I can't find my CD Key. Is it stored on your pc anywhere?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
BSOD's all the time again. Football Manager, Firefox and Chrome crashing all time...

I think i'm going to do a full HD wipe and windows reinstall. I have a genuine windows ISO on my Hard Drive (dl'ed from MSDN when at Uni), but I can't find my CD Key. Is it stored on your pc anywhere?

Also, could someone recommend a good program to wipe the HD?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Also, it seems everything I download I corrupt (legal things) like drivers etc. Just downloaded a trial of Nero to burn my windows ISO and it said it was corrupt when trying to install. Maybe it is a RAM problem?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sounding more and more likely. Can you take out the ram chips and try running a different combination?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I've been onto Novatech support (where i bought my base unit from) and the bloke said to run memtest86 which i'm going to do now, but i can't see it being anything else now.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
memtest currently running, 100,000 errors and counting. I think we've found the problem!

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
it's all under warranty , so if it's only one stick broken it's not the end of the world! hopefully I can run skyrim with just 4gb.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Could try and clean the mem banks aswell with a fine brush (which worked for me once). But just asume they are broken anyway.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
how long should I run memtest for? does it produce a report?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I think it runs 10 or more tests iirc but it's been years since I used it.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
found the offensive module and removed it, looks like just 1 so not the end of the world. glad the problems may be finally over! thanks for the help all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom