BSOD error.

echome

Fledgling Freddie
After using my new computer a few weeks, I am suddenly starting to get random reboots(mostly when running daoc but also a few times when just doing some other 3d stuff). The error I get is a 0x00000019 bad_pool_header or bad_pool_caller. According to some of the microsoft knowledge base answers ive found they say it is a driver conflict of some sort.
Sometimes it runs fine for a day without any reboots, dual loggin daoc etc. But other days it reboots just from loading a single daoc client.

So my question is now, how do I find what driver it is that makes this error? Any "easy" way of doing this?
Or is it just the hard way of starting from scratch and load drivers untill I get the error?

My setup is:
E6600 dual2 core cpu
Sapphire x1950pro gfx
2x1gb dual ddr2 ram
Asus P5B motherboard
Windows XP pro with SP2

If you need any other info please let me know.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
- General stability

how far overclocked is your PC?

Depending on your answer it might pay to run some stability tests. Personally I would run two instances of prime95 on 'torture test' for 8-10 hours. If your PC survives that you can be realtively confident that the CPU/RAM is not too blame. Even if you arent OC'ed (which would be a bizarre choice for a 6600!!) its still a good test.

If you have problems here there are alot of things you can do in the bios to improve the situation but first step is to diagnose it.

- Driver stability

regarding the 1950pro, You need the latest catalyst drivers (prior versions do not fully support the 1950 family in particular the pro variant). I did have a few stability problems when using the manufacturer drivers as opposed to the reference drivers on mine.

Onboard sound or seperate? I had some crashing problems using ob sound with my 6600. Only fixed it by getting a seperate audigy sound card. Still it is unlikely to cause BSOD crashes so I wouldnt look at this except as a last resort. If you already have a seperate sound card make sure you have disabled onboard sound in the bios.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
try uninstalling both(?) grafix card drivers, and re install 1 of them, witch ever is most up to date

echome

Fledgling Freddie
Ballard said:
- General stability

how far overclocked is your PC?

Depending on your answer it might pay to run some stability tests. Personally I would run two instances of prime95 on 'torture test' for 8-10 hours. If your PC survives that you can be realtively confident that the CPU/RAM is not too blame. Even if you arent OC'ed (which would be a bizarre choice for a 6600!!) its still a good test.

If you have problems here there are alot of things you can do in the bios to improve the situation but first step is to diagnose it.

- Driver stability

regarding the 1950pro, You need the latest catalyst drivers (prior versions do not fully support the 1950 family in particular the pro variant). I did have a few stability problems when using the manufacturer drivers as opposed to the reference drivers on mine.

Onboard sound or seperate? I had some crashing problems using ob sound with my 6600. Only fixed it by getting a seperate audigy sound card. Still it is unlikely to cause BSOD crashes so I wouldnt look at this except as a last resort. If you already have a seperate sound card make sure you have disabled onboard sound in the bios.

I havent done any oc'ing just yet - wanted to run it default a few weeks to see it in work.
I am using the warcat gfx drivers(6.11 if i am not mistaken) - started with the newst catalyst drivers, but that was the first i changede after the first few BSOD.
Using the onboard soundcard, but got an "old" soundcard in my other computer that I could try out.
I have been thinking about doing a memtest of some sort - but havent gotten to it just yet. That was my kind of last resort as I hope it is not the ram(hate sending em back to be without my computer for a few weeks hehe).

Havent heard of the "torture test" that you are talking about - but ill surely give it a try.

Thanks for the help.

echome

Fledgling Freddie
I did leave the torture test on for 7hours this morning - and 0 errors 0 warrnings.

Any advice on "next step" ?

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
*points finger of blame at ATI drivers*

probably a conflict with your ati card and mobo/onboard sound, I wouldnt like to advise what ATI drivers to use, but you should find out whats a really stable version and use them, same for your soundcard/motherboard. Run a memtest, check your disk for errors, scan for viruses and other stuff.

Ive also found some programs to be unstable with asus onboard sound and ended up buying a card for the sake of a few games that would BSOD without...

echome

Fledgling Freddie
Now ive used drivercleaner to remove my ati drivers - and install the newest one from scratch. That just caused a new problem with another file hehe. But think ive fixed that.

Now ill see the next few days - if the errors come again ill try the soundboard thing.

Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom