Bruised eye(?!?)

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Ok, my first gooey yucky medical thread, so bare with me!

Its my Dad (step-dad), the white bit beside his iris on the left side of his right eye has swollen up and turned blood-red. The swelling is pretty obvious - must have swollen up so that the red bit bulges out a couple of mm's from the rest of his eye.

He insists that it doesnt hurt and that his vision is unaffected, and he wont go to hospital. My mum phoned the doctor and he said that it was "definately" just bruised, that it would clear on its own after a matter of weeks, and that it wouldnt be anything else from my mums description of it. That said, he hasnt actually seen it.

Obviously I'm a little concerned - it looks really bad.

Does anyone know anything about this sort of thing? Just thought I'd ask seeing as we have such a wealth of knowledge here in OT :D I've never seen anything like this before, and as I say I'm a little worried. Any help much appreciated.

Vladamir

FH is my second home
I'd go to the docs or a&e just to be sure. Eyes are not an area to mess about with so i'd not just 'wait for it to clear up' :p

Ezteq

Queen of OT
actually you can do that by umm how shall i put it "going to strenuously" if you need to do a poo, you can cause the vessles and stuff to rupture and thats all a bruise actually is is trauma which causes blood vesles to rupture.

tbh though like vladdybaby said its really not worth running the risk because you only have two and they dont grow back, just get your dad to make an appointment and go in, its better to waste an hour than lose an eye tbh.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
I did that once - I had an allergic reaction to an eyelash that had got stuck behind my eye - the white bit swelled up and turned yellow. Spent 6 hours in A&E only to be given some over-the-counter eye drops :p

I should have taken a photo of it really - was completely gross :p

If it hurts, then get it checked, otherwise see how it goes.

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
Same naetha except with long cat hairs and no yellow :D

Just an alergic reaction i have if i get cat hair in my eyes.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I did that once - I had an allergic reaction to an eyelash that had got stuck behind my eye - the white bit swelled up and turned yellow. Spent 6 hours in A&E only to be given some over-the-counter eye drops :p

I should have taken a photo of it really - was completely gross :p

If it hurts, then get it checked, otherwise see how it goes.

no offence but that is plain bad advice
my dad and similar and it ended up he had a brain tumour which was causing it, you should never "see how it goes" when it comes to your eyes as so many things can go wrong with them.
Go get it checked in a walk-in clinic if anything else, if its infected he could potentially lose it

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
FYI: FH isnt a substitute for real professionals.

bad dukat :(

Ezteq

Queen of OT

shame on you!! there isnt a problem that cant be solved by going on to FH and asking the nerds.

he has a point tbh its prolly better to call NHS direct then go and ask a random bunch on web loafers :(

Corran

Part of the furniture
shame on you!! there isnt a problem that cant be solved by going on to FH and asking the nerds.

he has a point tbh its prolly better to call NHS direct then go and ask a random bunch on web loafers :(

NHS direct probably give worse advice then here. They have been a complete joke when I have used them. And the amount of mistakes they make is unbelievable.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
NHS direct probably give worse advice then here. They have been a complete joke when I have used them. And the amount of mistakes they make is unbelievable.

Oo heres a thought maybe its like a direct link via phone to FH

someone phone them and say they got a vlad stuck up their butt, if the operative goes "ROFLOLOLZ pwnd meight!!" you'll know i'm right.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
OMGZ DO NOT USE FH TO GET ADVICE FOT THESE THINGS MEGAM8!!!!1!!1

:m00:

Dukat

Resident Freddy

OMGZ DO NOT USE FH TO GET ADVICE FOT THESE THINGS MEGAM8!!!!1!!1

:m00:

Hehe, dont worry, I'm not going to take whatever is said here as gospel, just wanted a 'second opinion' of sorts - on the off chance that someone had experience with this sort of thing :) First time I've made a gooey yucky thread evar!

As I said, my mum phoned the doctor, who said about the same as Naetha. Something along the lines of : "If it hurts, then get it checked, otherwise see how it goes.", just as naetha said.

My mum isnt a fool when it comes to things like this, she's been through her fair share of medical emergencies, she seemed inclined to go with what the doctor said after thinking about it and checking a few of her books.

I cant force my dad to go to hospital, short of dailling 999 and getting an ambulance to take him there isnt much I can do on that score.

I've kept an eye on him as best as I can, He's adamant that it isnt hurting at all, he said it feels like he has a hair in the corner of his eye or something, but said its not hurting or throbbing or anything like that.

Booking appointments are a joke where I live. I recently had to book one for an army medical test, earliest free slot was 4 weeks away. Even then, as I said my dad just wont go - he's terrible with things like this, always has been.

Anyways, thanks for all the replies, my dad seems fine after 12 hours, the swelling has gone down slightly. I'm not sure exactly what my parents plan on doing, but I'll make sure to check up on them every now and again.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
no offence but that is plain bad advice
my dad and similar and it ended up he had a brain tumour which was causing it, you should never "see how it goes" when it comes to your eyes as so many things can go wrong with them.
Go get it checked in a walk-in clinic if anything else, if its infected he could potentially lose it

By see how it goes, I meant leave it for 12 hours or so, not like a week :p

Olgaline

FH is my second home
you gotta admire us men dont you ?

if someone within our family suffers "or seems to be suffering" from something, we'll "if we have to" drag them kicking and screaming to the doctor.

however.! if we'r the patient? heh well..... nothings is so bad it cant be walked off or can be waited out

:p :p :p

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH
you gotta admire us men dont you ?

if someone within our family suffers "or seems to be suffering" from something, we'll "if we have to" drag them kicking and screaming to the doctor.

however.! if we'r the patient? heh well..... nothings is so bad it cant be walked off or can be waited out

:p :p :p

its fucking annoying, my dad was hobbling around with what he thought was a bruised leg for about a week or two, my mum got so fed up with his refusing so she went balistic and he cowered into the car, went to a+e and came back in a cast and crutches lol

Tilda

Theres a difference between a long wait for an army medical, where you'll be slotted into a free appointment at a time thats hard to fill. Because its not the NHS's job to make sure you're fit to join the army. Compared to needing an emergency appointment the same day, and you'll find if you think you need to see a Dr that day (ie agonising pain) you'll get it.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
its fucking annoying, my dad was hobbling around with what he thought was a bruised leg for about a week or two, my mum got so fed up with his refusing so she went balistic and he cowered into the car, went to a+e and came back in a cast and crutches lol
I spent nearly 7 years with on and off agonising pain (would be bad for a couple of weeks then bearable for a month or so) and high fevers/flu like symptoms because i was too embarrassed to go to the doctor (it was in a place very few people ever get to see and it hurt sitting down...) eventually i started seeing my now wife and had a really bad episode and she rushed me to hospital with a temperature of over 100.. Turns out i'd had a large abcess for all that time. Because i'd left it too long it took years to treat and two nasty operations.....

Ezteq

Queen of OT

nooo :(

did the cat rub against it and make the cast look like a really long ug boot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom