Broken window seals

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Our double glazing in the flat has broken window seals and lately, we've been seeing damp around the window itself.

As far as I was aware, broken seals only caused condensation inbetween the two panes of the window. Does it also cause the damp we are seeing around the window itself?

I just don't want to be plugged with a heavy bill for dampness at the end of the tenancy!

Thanks!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Report it to your landlord, get them to fix it. If you are renting its not your problem to carry out repairs, in fact it could just end up costing you more if its not done to the landlords standards.

Chilly

Balls of steel
The dampness could be condensation, since the glass panes are so cold relative to the inside temperature.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
The broken window panes are on the inventory as broken but the landlady didn't seem to give any indication of replacing them.

Would I have any rights in asking them to be fixed if it is causing damp? Maybe it'd be a good 'damn you' card if she denies us having our cat here (there's a damn catflap on the porch door!) ;d

Chilly

Balls of steel
Write to her telling her you wont pay anything toward fixing any damage relating to damp because of the busted seals.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Is this condensation on the outside surfaces of the glass, or damp around the window (in the plaster, etc)?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The condensation is because your house isn't adequately ventilated. That has nothing to do with the seals on the windows, but is because the air in your house is too moist. Open a few windows to fix that.

The damp around the windows may be caused by condensation running down the glass, or it could be poor quality cavity wall insulation leading to cold spots on the wall, or it could be a poor exterior seal letting water into the brickwork. It could also be water running down the wall, from faulty guttering.

I suggest you take photographs, copy some in a letter to your landlord, and send it recorded delivery. Make sure the landlord is fully aware of what is happening, that way he/she can't ever claim they weren't made aware of the damage.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Wow. Everyone really wants to stuff it to landlords.

I've had my double glazing done and sometimes there's damp in between the two panes of glass.

Once I've got this house rented out, the first tenant to complain about something as unimportant as this gets chucked out for being a moaning pain in the ass! :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
The condensation is because your house isn't adequately ventilated. That has nothing to do with the seals on the windows, but is because the air in your house is too moist. Open a few windows to fix that.

The damp around the windows may be caused by condensation running down the glass.

Most likely this. I have to wipe our windows at least a couple of times a day in this cold weather.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Once I've got this house rented out, the first tenant to complain about something as unimportant as this gets chucked out for being a moaning pain in the ass! :)

Before you go renting property out you might want to have a look at law and tenants rights :)

Its not just a case of get a tenant and forget about it for a year, you still have to maintain the house and you have to pay for any repairs down to wear and tear etc. If there is damp or a leak it is up to you to deal with it, not the tenant. If they complain you can't just "throw them out" either.

My family have been renting houses out for years, not sure I will bother when its my turn, some tenants can be a real pain in the arse.

While I am sure what you say is in jest it may be an idea to speak to a management company.

taB

Part of the furniture
Most likely this. I have to wipe our windows at least a couple of times a day in this cold weather.

Also agreeing that this is likely. It's hard to ventilate a small house properly when it's bloody freezing :)

I tend to run a little dehumidifier when I'm at work and that sorts out any problems and then get the windows open at the weekend. I live in a ground floor flat so I can't leave them open when I'm not there.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Have you met/spoken to your landlord before? I live in student housing so am open to being ripped off at every opportunity but moved into a new house this year, met the guy and he is sound.

Speak to them first, you never know what they're like until you do.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
If you have damp inside the sealed unit that you cant get to, then that means the sealed unit has failed (the seal that bonds the 2 panes of glass together has broken down) it needs a new unit

That in its self would not cause dampness to appear anywhere else, so if you have damp on the walls, as Tom says, it could be a number of things. Has it just started because its very cold outside and if you have a rad right under the widow kicking out, and the rooms not ventilated, then that would cause condensation. Double glazing does not irradicate condensation

Are they PVCu windows, if so most modern ones have a secondary locking keep on them, you should be able to open the window about 10mm and then lock it back up again, this will give you a little ventilation that might help

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I had this in my first flat, turned out to be the air vent I'd blocked up because it was too draughty (doh!). Make sure you haven't blocked any ventilation in the room.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
To diverge off a bit - if the landlady says no to a cat but the house is ran by a management company how successful are we to be able to haggle via the company?

We're due for a meeting as to what we want to do when our contract ends. I intended to say we'd rent the apartment for the next 2 years 5 months as long as they pushed through the requirement of us having a cat. My missus' dad who looks after the little bugger is due for some operations soon and won't be able (and my missus wants her cat! :)).

I'd have thought the company would want to work with us as they get a share from managing the property?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The management company really can't say you can have a cat if it states you cannot in the contract.

However, if you do decide to stay, who is going to know you have a cat? If the landlady never visits to check, then who cares? You could always claim ignorance if you have never asked her about it directly.

Also if the property is emptied, the management company still wins, as they can re-let and get a new set of admin fees from the new tenant.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yeah, I've had pets in strict no-pets houses/flats before. Just remove them and all signs of them for inspections, and make sure they don't do any damage and it'll be fine.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Remember you should be getting 24 hours notice before a visit from your landlord or their agent, so that would give you plenty of time.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
And if they don't give you 24 hours, you have them bent over as it's law and in your contract.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
rather selfish to try and force your pet on the no pet rule place .. you knew the rule when you moved in and all

what if the person who owns the house is very allergic to animals or something than all the cleaning in the world wont stop their allergic reaction to the beasties

I really dont get ppl that say we signed a contract but arnt gonna stick to the rules

just gives them a opportunity to kick you out if they find out and keep your deposit.

Whats to say the next door person or whatever isnt a friend of the person who owns the house / flat ?

taB

Part of the furniture
The management company really can't say you can have a cat if it states you cannot in the contract.

However, if you do decide to stay, who is going to know you have a cat? If the landlady never visits to check, then who cares? You could always claim ignorance if you have never asked her about it directly.

Also if the property is emptied, the management company still wins, as they can re-let and get a new set of admin fees from the new tenant.

I have an Italian girl with fantastic tits who gives me money, although in my leasehold I'm not allowed one.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
rather selfish to try and force your pet on the no pet rule place .. you knew the rule when you moved in and all

what if the person who owns the house is very allergic to animals or something than all the cleaning in the world wont stop their allergic reaction to the beasties

I really dont get ppl that say we signed a contract but arnt gonna stick to the rules

just gives them a opportunity to kick you out if they find out and keep your deposit.

Whats to say the next door person or whatever isnt a friend of the person who owns the house / flat ?

There is nothing in the tenancy agreement itself about pets not being allowed (although it says permission is required) and I never gave any indication their was?! :p

Ctuchik

FH is my second home

The damp around the windows may be caused by condensation running down the glass, or it could be poor quality cavity wall insulation leading to cold spots on the wall, or it could be a poor exterior seal letting water into the brickwork. It could also be water running down the wall, from faulty guttering.

I suggest you take photographs, copy some in a letter to your landlord, and send it recorded delivery. Make sure the landlord is fully aware of what is happening, that way he/she can't ever claim they weren't made aware of the damage.

well if he says its broken its probably visibly broken :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Before you go renting property out you might want to have a look at law and tenants rights :)

I'm already renting a house out. If the tenants complained about condensation between the panes of the double glazing I'd not do anything and let the lease run to an end :)

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
You know what the most frustrating thing is.

The fuckin flat has a fuckin cat flap...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Probably from the previous owner, easer/cheaper to leave it in than buy a new door.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Why can't I have a cat then! :(

Where's my human rights to a cat! :(

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom