Broadband

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
who's the one to be with at the mo...im with o2 at the mo but moving house and dont quite fancy paying £50 moving fee since past month they have been nothing but shocking on speed.

so who is doing good speed at good prices

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Weird. I'm with o2 and they've been brilliant for the past year, maybe except for week or two of wonky DNS servers. £7.50 a month for an "up to 8 Mbit" and actually connecting at 8 Mbit is an utter bargain. Sustained 800 kbytes per sec downloads ahoy.

Kryten

Old Cow.
yeah, bit of luck involved - with o2 here and wouldn't dream of shifting, 8Mbps solid at all times.
As for alternatives, only the usuals : zen, Be/O2, sky maybe.

Chilly

Balls of steel
just tell them you wont pay the moving fee. I didnt have to do it, I even got a discount. (btw, I'm with Be directly, not via O2 so ymmv)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I'm on BeThere too, I've found them to be really jolly good. I'd suggest trying your luck with o2 again but yeah, refuse to pay the moving fee :).

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Moving fee? WTF? Why would you pay that? You could cancel your account, move, and start a new contract for nothing, so why would you pay a moving fee?

Macey

Fledgling Freddie
Im with Virgin and am fairly happy with the service I have now, at first was pretty awful, random DC's and a bit of an uphill struggle to get through to the customer service people, in the end the problem resolved itself and I got 2 months free subscription which was nice.

If I was going onto ADSL Id probably go for BeThere though, they seem to be a decent company and from what Ive heard from gamers theyre more than happy and willing to actually provide proper customer service and make sure youre getting the most out of your line.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm on Sky, solid & reliable. Slightly more expensive and only 16MBit but I don't recall it crapping out once yet and customer services are rock solid.

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
I'm on Sky, solid & reliable. Slightly more expensive and only 16MBit but I don't recall it crapping out once yet and customer services are rock solid.

thanks id like to think i give good customer services for sky :)

on the moving home il have another chat and tell il just cancel it then start a new one.

thanks for the ideas.

Fast

Part of the furniture
I always paid for a better isp such as Nildram and Eclipse now I'm with o2 and they are the best so far, more than happy :)

Marc

FH is my second home
With sky. £10 a month for unlimited 16mb service. Top drawer

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
With sky. £10 a month for unlimited 16mb service. Top drawer

only prob with sky one you need to be a sky tv customer and i dont have a tv so not doing that one :)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Don't think that's true anymore actually.

DaGaffer

Don't think that's true anymore actually.

I think it is. If you can get Sky broadband without being a tv subscriber, its pretty well hidden on their site. *edit* Their site says: "Sky Broadband is exclusive to Sky TV customers".

You can get the same service as a standalone, but you have to go through UKOnline and its quite a bit more expensive. Having said that, I was with UKO for a few years and they were very good.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I was under the impression that they'd launched another service called Picnic?

DaGaffer

I was under the impression that they'd launched another service called Picnic?

Its on hold because of OFCOM. It was more about a premium DTT service anyway (like TopupTV). Its all ready to go though; I know the person who project managed it from IBM.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I'm with Sky. After moving home it took them 4 months to sort out my line and they weren't even able to give me the level of line I was paying for. They hadn't bothered to do their homework. I was disconnected for over a month because they couldn't get their shit together then a month or so later disconnected again for several days while they sorted it out to a level the local line could handle.

Their customer service people were universally appalling and ranged from indifferent to outright incompetent.

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
I'm with Sky. After moving home it took them 4 months to sort out my line and they weren't even able to give me the level of line I was paying for. They hadn't bothered to do their homework. I was disconnected for over a month because they couldn't get their shit together then a month or so later disconnected again for several days while they sorted it out to a level the local line could handle.

Their customer service people were universally appalling and ranged from indifferent to outright incompetent.

i know what u mean some of them in my office are out right crap and i wonder somtimes why there still here...but where not all bad. :D

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
I've been with Be* for coming up on 3 years now and apart from one week about six months ago have had no problems whatsoever. Consistently low ping times and consistently high download speeds. Connect at just over 20mbit and given a fast enough host will download at 2.1MB/sec. Can't really complain for less than 18 quid a month.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Enta have announced changes to their packages (and by extension the packages their resellers such as UKFSN who I'm with offer).

I currently am on 30Gb peak (8am to 10pm) and 300Gb off peak (10pm-8am and all weekend) which suits me fine.

However the new package is still 30Gb peak, but the hours have changed to 8am to midnight, with a FUP now in effect for all off-peak downloads.

I may consider moving now depending on how draconian the FUP is, but I'll give it a few months.

The most I've ever downloaded in 1 month is 70Gb, and that was a one off. Usually I hit about 40Gb a month with getting various things online (TV being a prime one), so I may be ok, but we'll see...

Oh and the current fee is £19.56 p/m moving to £18.95 p/m when the new packages kick in on March 30th.

Nate

FH is my second home
Has anyone looked in to mobile broadband? It looks like my connection could be faster using that(currently 512kb) but all the deals look terribly shite.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Has anyone looked in to mobile broadband? It looks like my connection could be faster using that(currently 512kb) but all the deals look terribly shite.

I occasionally use o2 mobile broadband when I am away from home. It is ok as far as it goes, but useless for any form of gaming - huge, cavernous ping rates.

Sar

Part of the furniture
I'm actually considering moving to Be atm. They're LLU in my exchange, and I'd imagine around my gaff their custom would be fairly low - would that mean low contention rates and better speeds? Or am I thinking dumb?

The plus points are they don't have effective caps, and they're slightly cheaper too.

Plus they say I can get potentially 5Mb, when BT wholesale say 2.5Mb max, which I'm sitting on atm and can get 3mb on a good day (or three).

nath

Fledgling Freddie
If you can get it, move to Be. If you're an O2 customer, go through them as it's a fair bit cheaper for the same service. I think you're right about the contention ratio, technically, but I'm in a busy area and always get max speeds. I think they're just a really solid provider.

Belgerath

One of Freddy's beloved
I'm actually considering moving to Be atm. They're LLU in my exchange, and I'd imagine around my gaff their custom would be fairly low - would that mean low contention rates and better speeds? Or am I thinking dumb?

The plus points are they don't have effective caps, and they're slightly cheaper too.

Plus they say I can get potentially 5Mb, when BT wholesale say 2.5Mb max, which I'm sitting on atm and can get 3mb on a good day (or three).

I work for BTW in N.I Sar trust me when i say it wont matter what SP your with here you might move to a different card if ur lucky but i doubt it....

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Surely it'll make a difference if he's moving from ADSL Max to ADSL 2+?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom