broadband wireless connection and daoc

Perf

One of Freddy's beloved
just want to know if the game is likely to be effected if i change over to a wireless setup.

Nate

FH is my second home
You will get a lot more loss and random lag spikes

uron

Loyal Freddie
i play over wireless, u dont notice it except the lag spikes..i have better ping then a lot of others wen playing other games...its purely the spikes that are the pain!

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
1) Make sure there's NO LOS (Lack of Sight) e.g. - No walls in the way (so you can see the router
2) You'll have a little more loss.
3) Make sure you encrypt the connection, no hackers.
4) Nate wins.

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
3) Make sure you encrypt the connection, no hackers.
that will not stop hackers DO NOT ever use wireless from secure transactions as its not secure tools such as kismit, airsnort, cowpatty, ASleap, wireshark(ethareal) plus some more effective one which i will not name of oblivious reasons enable even a novice to hack a wireless network

on topic it will depend on what type of wireless protocol your using ie
802.11b WLANs offer maximum theoretical bandwidth of 11 Mbps not to good for gaming
802.11a and 802.11g WLANs offer theoretical bandwidth up to 54 Mbps.
In contrast, typical wired Ethernets run at 100 Mbps.

what other device do you have at home cordless phones/baby monitors microwave overs TV senders(thing that transmit your sky/cable signal wirelessly to your other tv

finally what other wireless network traffic is in the area this includes your own network and other networks in your area such as a neighbors (i have up to 8 other networks that can generate interference where i live)

the Cons to a "Wireless" Network

* Speed
It still cannot compare to the speeds that are available to the wired networks, but it is getting closer every day.
* Reliability
Wireless networks are still more susceptible to inference than their wired counterparts. While I have been fortunate in having a good strong connection, I have still experienced the odd disconnect from time to time.(which can be on inc meaning dieing not good if you the healer in a grp :( )

However, it is important to note that in my experience, your router selection and configuration plays a big part in this.

wireless gaming can work but in general you will not keep up with a cabled network but it would depend on how hard core of a gamer you are if a increase in network latency matters

Perf

One of Freddy's beloved
thanks for the replies, on that info i'll drill some more holes in the walls and re-route another cable.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
1) Make sure there's NO LOS (Lack of Sight) e.g. - No walls in the way (so you can see the router

Pedantic

LOS typically stands for "Line of Sight" or "Loss of Signal" you seem to have aborted the 2 into something else.

/Pedantic

Continue :D

/EDIT Never use wireless if you can use a cable ever!

Gahn

Resident Freddy
There's really nothing wrong even on a 11 mb 802.11b, cause your internet connection will run slower ANYWAY. That said u are bound to buy g atm (54 Mb).
Problem lies in the auto configuration of Wireless networks most of time (they autonegotiate and autotune the speed), so when it drops or raise speed u get lag spikes.
My guess is that forcing the Card and the Access Point to 54 Mbit (is not that u run around the house and u don't have to cover a wide area with roaming users) flat, will avoid lag spikes.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Wireless used to be a problem for me on DAOC, but I've not tried in ages. I can play LOTRO and WoW ok with Wireless, so I would imagine as technology has got better, its removed the LD factor (I maybe still get 1-3 a month at most)

Gahn

Resident Freddy
anyone got experience with this toy ? : D-Link Gaming Router

Judging from the description it provides some sort of QOS (Quality of Service) packet prioritization.
That said (unless it's a proprietary techonolgy), QOS works on a tcp port basis (ie i want all the traffic going to port 80 [HTTP default port] prioritized).
This potentially leads to 2 problems:
First problem (and this is abosultly true no matter what): this proritization happens on the internal side (ie between the wireless router and your wireless card), so ofc it only affects your internal network performance; this is the point of the technology anyway atm.
Second problem: i'm not sure if Daoc works on an own tcp/udp port (that said it's easy to find out with a network scanner on your internal ip, while game opened), i vaguely remember some guy having an issue with an intelligent firewall sometime ago.

Overdriven

Pedantic

LOS typically stands for "Line of Sight" or "Loss of Signal" you seem to have aborted the 2 into something else.

/Pedantic

Continue :D

/EDIT Never use wireless if you can use a cable ever!

I never usually have to explain what LOS is to somebody who doesn't know what LOS means :] Line/Lack is the same thing! :( Also, saying "No line of sight" doens't sound right, I didn't feel like reconstructing my sentencing for the post ;)

@thergador: I didn't need the lesson in WiFi security, cheers. I was pointing out something that everyone should do basically. The likelyhood of HIM/HER being hacked for ther DAoC passwords, is the likelyhood of me doing any work today. (1:100). Doesn't take a techie to know WiFi security still isn't the best.

Get the problem solved in the end?

Perf

One of Freddy's beloved
problem sorted now, but the wife aint too pleased. another nice hole drilled through the living room wall :)

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
@thergador: I didn't need the lesson in WiFi security, cheers. I was pointing out something that everyone should do basically. The likelyhood of HIM/HER being hacked for ther DAoC passwords, is the likelyhood of me doing any work today. (1:100). Doesn't take a techie to know WiFi security still isn't the best.
mmmm
Overdriven said:
3) Make sure you encrypt the connection, no hackers
then you should have thought about the "no hackers" bit as with out encryption its not classed as hacking(wrong term its cracking but that a whole different story) its classed as "war-talking" it only becomes cracking when you and security, so the no hackers bit was ill advice and could have made the OP think the connection was safe to do things such as shopping or banking.

oh and what happens if he falls out with his m8 and his m8 sniff's his password strangers things have happened and been posted on these boards

but no worries as got sorted anyway

Overdriven

mmmm

then you should have thought about the "no hackers" bit as with out encryption its not classed as hacking(wrong term its cracking but that a whole different story) its classed as "war-talking" it only becomes cracking when you and security, so the no hackers bit was ill advice and could have made the OP think the connection was safe to do things such as shopping or banking.

oh and what happens if he falls out with his m8 and his m8 sniff's his password strangers things have happened and been posted on these boards

but no worries as got sorted anyway

Oh-My-God -_- :twak: Why go into specifics for somebody who most probably want to care? Yes, I was using the media term 'Hackers' (Not the original meaning) - Why would I need to go into 'crackers' (Mm, I crave those now) 'phreakers' etc etc etc (totally off the point)

Yeah :( Suppose that's true.. People do have friends who are total cocks.. If it were me, I'd just stick a key logger on them before I fell out with them and fuck them royally that way. :D

EDIT: You sound like my tutor, that makes me cry. :(

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
EDIT: You sound like my tutor, that makes me cry. :(

mmm sorry didn't mean to come over like that, teaching is part of my job so i guess it was over-wash from work. my bad :(

PS calling cracker a hacker is like calling them a noob etc, it gets there heckles up

but i think most peeps get the dont use wireless to carry out secure transactions(of course its up to you to decide to what level you take that to ie banking or just keeping your id tokens safe)

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Wireless is not that bad, if you set up your security.

So ...

1. Turn off SSID broadcasting.
2. Switch on only allow specified MAC addresses onto the network (can be spoofed)
3. Change your admin password for the wireless hub router.
4. Turn on WPA encryption (don't use WEP).
5. Make sure your wpa key and admin key are something different.

Nothing is totally secure against someone who really wants in. But given the number of unsecure wireless networks, there will be alot softer targets.

If you haven't done this, then good chance you are running without a hardware firewall and virus protection. So you are probably knackered already.

Castus

Can't get enough of FH
Wireless sucks trust me im regretting it more and more everyday! esp Sky broadband.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
To go cabled, it is simply a case of connecting an ethernet cable from the router to my computer ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom