Help Broadband cancellation fees

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
So here's the situation. In october last year my landline provider cut off the line, my ISP then cancelled my contract without notifying me. Now they want more than £200 because the contract was ended early. Since THEY cancelled the contract and I didn't ask for that to happen, I don't see why I should pay them a penny.

I'm lazy and can't be arsed to trawl through loads of info so I'm asking the FH brain trust what my legal position is on this.

Waddaya think?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Seems odd, surely if they cut the contract, it's not your fault and as such, shouldn't pay anything.

Unless there's some part of the contract that allows them to discontinue service to you and as such, you've basically broken the contract without cancelling it.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Assuming you were using ADSL I think you may have difficulties considering the reason the contract was cancelled was due to your phoneline being disconnected. I'm fairly certain your ISP will argue that you having your landline disconnected was sufficient grounds for them to terminate your contract. I'm not even sure most ADSL providers would even have systems set up to allow them to operate an broadband account with an associated BT line.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Indeed thats what I was thinking :p if they've cut it off due to line cancellation then you won't have a choice but to pay the £200 as it was your responsibility to maintain the line since it wasnt supplied by the ISP.

Very doubtful you'll get out of paying the £200.

tip for the future tho, get an ISP with a 1 month contract rather than long contracts :p Entanet is good for that they only have a 1 month contract.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Sorry but you're stuck with the £200 if you had your line disconnected for any reason. Your ISP will look on it as you breaking the contract and hit you with the cost of the remainder of the contract.

Like BloodOmen said, you should consider an ISP with month-by-month contract. I've been with Aquiss Internet for almost 5 years and still think they're great.

Yeah, I get a referral. :)

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Hmm. Weeeellll I was 2 weeks late paying the phone bill and that's why BT cut me off. Demon (Read Wankers) didn't tell me they'd cancelled teh contract until I got my phone line back up and had a rant at them about having no connection. Surely they had a legal responsiblity to notify me in writing about any cancellations.

Might look into the 1 month term things. The landlords aren't renewing our tenancy agreement when it runs out because they need the house back so when we find a new place I'll transfer the current phone and broadband contracts to the landlords and start fresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom