News British companies should hire british people...

Ormorof

FH is my second home
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...duty-to-employ-British-workers-MP-claims.html

according to the MP it is their "duty" to chose Brits over foreigners

surely any company anywhere has a duty to chose the most qualified person that they can get for the cheapest price? the companies are hardly in it for Britain but for their shareholders who i imagine would be quite upset if the company earns less money because of a recruitment policy of not hiring the best for the job o_O

This topic does seem to come up all over the place, is the backlash against "foreign" types now accepted as social norm? (as a perpetual foreigner this worries me :D )

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
He is full of shit, just like most politicians.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
England expects that every man will do his duty :eek:

Ormorof

FH is my second home
not really, its about balance and ensuring you get a return on the investment :p

if you can get someone who is more qualified and more experienced for less money than some local then why on earth would you pay more for the worse option? (of course that works on the assumption that companies value quality rather than purely cheapness which may be a flaw in my thinking ;) )

Killswitch

FH is my second home
There might be marketing benefits, like when banks "on-shore" their call-centre staff and then make sure they mention it 10 times per call. Even then though I'm pretty sure it would actually be illegal to discriminate against an EU national for any UK-based role.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It may not seem like it at the moment but we should thank our lucky stars that 'foriegners' want to come here to work.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Hmm, the headline of course puts it in the most controversial terms, but there's a germ of truth in what he's actually saying; which is basically that companies need to invest in training rather than just insourcing the nearest foreign worker that rocks up. Its an undeniable truth that companies have cut back on graduate training schemes, apprenticeships and general school-leaver training (except for free internships). I think his mistake was simply using the word "British" if he'd said "school and college leavers" it would have been far less contentious. And I say this as a foreign worker myself.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It really annoys me when the sub-heading is pretty much word-for-word identical to the headline. :(

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Successful applicant will be a graduate with at least a 2:1 Degree in any subject.

Successful applicant will have at least 5 years experience.

Successful applicant will be able to pass a credit check.

Successful applicant will be able to speak Italian and Spanish as well as English.

Successful applicant will have a clean driving licence as well own vehicle.

Please note Herp Derp international PLC operates a policy of pre-disqualification if any of the above requirements are not met.

Salary in the area of £14,500-£20,000

Please click here to apply

*Click*

ORACLE SYSTEMS ERROR, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom