Drink Brewers?

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Any other home brewers lurking on here? Curious to see who does it and to what degree.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I do it now and again. Perhaps 3 barrels a year. They range from lovely to drain cleaner. I just have a fairly basic kit and buy the tins with the mixture ready to go. Not a massive beer drinker these days though, prefer wine so no real motivation to make it other than because I can.

My brother in law does it quite a lot and is pretty successful with it.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Yup, once in a while - not so much lately though.
Always micro batches (max 20L)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Mate of mine does it full-mash, not kit.

I'm trying to get him to sell his house, buy a pub and open a microbrewery. :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Last i did was when i was 14-15 and threw the basic yeast+sugar+juice combo into a container :p

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I do full mash too, lovely, cheap beer :)

23l / 40 pint is as big as my current boiler will do, want a bigger one at some point.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
That's what my brother in law does. I was going to get into it too but can't drink much beer any more, a couple of pints is enough to make me feel horrible.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That's what my brother in law does. I was going to get into it too but can't drink much beer any more, a couple of pints is enough to make me feel horrible.

Get yourself to a beer festival or a pub that sells proper stuff. Have five pints then go for a curry. Wake up feeling like shit the next day but force yourself to go on a 30 mile bike ride - it'll clean your hangover.

Wait a day then rinse-repeat, increasing beer to the tune of n+1 every other day for a month.

Problem solved :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Get yourself to a beer festival or a pub that sells proper stuff. Have five pints then go for a curry. Wake up feeling like shit the next day but force yourself to go on a 30 mile bike ride - it'll clean your hangover.

Wait a day then rinse-repeat, increasing beer to the tune of n+1 every other day for a month.

Problem solved :)

I know plenty about real beer and drank it for years. But I can't drink it any more in any large quantity, much like too much bread. Just makes me feel bloated and tired. Prefer to just drink wine now.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just makes me feel bloated and tired. Prefer to just drink wine now.

Stretch that stomach m8. Become a man again. You're not french are you, Raven?

ARE YOU? :eek:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Issue with any beer is the amount you need to piss once you reach the tipping point.. I love real ales been to lots of camra things but man shorts are my staple now.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Nothing beats cracking open a bottle of your own beer, from grain and hops to brown magic on your gob.

I'm still drinking the spiced porter I made for Christmas. It came out at close to 8%, not the 6% I was aiming for :-\

By far the easiest tasty hooch you can brew (that doesn't taste like ass) is turbo cider -
http://www.adamr.co.uk/wordpress/?p=1012

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I know plenty about real beer and drank it for years. But I can't drink it any more in any large quantity, much like too much bread. Just makes me feel bloated and tired. Prefer to just drink wine now.
You might have Coeliac disease.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
I've done a couple of brews straight out of the kit before and was planning to have a go at a full mash this time. I've bought some of the ingredients but I haven't got round to doing it yet because I've been quite busy and I still need to do some research because I don't want to fuck it up. Actually I'd completely forgotten about it until I saw this thread; might have another look at it this weekend and see if I can get started.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
It's actually pretty hard to fuck up, as long as everything is clean and sterilised. Temperature range is pretty tolerant as long as you don't get it massively wrong.

A good first step for a kit Brewer is to tweak a kit. Basically brew it a couple litres short to push the abv up, some hop additions and you've got a very nice pint. Some people go from there to extract brewing, but you might as well go all-grain.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Can't add much on the homebrew front, but if you're ever in mid California, I can recommend two fantastic microbreweries (Hollister Brewing Co in Santa Barbara and the Island Brewery in Carpinteira). Was at both a couple of weeks ago, an dmany lovely pints were sunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom