Drink Brandy & Rum

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Well, I need alcohol advice. Where's Olgaline when you need him?

The rum is for us to enjoy in the summer evenings. Nothing too poncy but none of that supermarket own brand cheap shite. What would you recommend? Something with great flavors.

The brandy is for my mum on her birthday. She's not particularly fussy, and likes Courvoissier and Remy Martin VSOP. She'd be happy with a bottle of Remy, but can you recommend something similar?

Fanks.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
White or dark rum? For white, Havana Club (I prefer it to Bacardi), for dark, try Bundaberg - Australian rum. I got quite hooked on it. There are really expensive brands like English Harbour but I personally don't think its a drink that you need to spend a fortune on; its a working class spirit, like vodka.

Brandy on the other hand...unless you're spending serious money they're all much of a muchness, Hennessy, Martell or Camus would be reasonable alternatives to Courvoisier or Remy (at anything below a 100 quid a bottle you're paying for the packaging as much as the drink frankly).

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I got my mum some Martell Cognac a couple of years ago, was about £80 iirc. She really liked it.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
a cheap rum that i really like is mount gay. about £20 a bottle iirc.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I got some Bounty run at home which comes from St Lucia. It's quite horrible though :)

Olgaline

FH is my second home
If you dont aleady know it, try this:
El Dorado 12 yo - should be in the £25 range
El%20Dorado%2012yo%20Neat%20website.jpg

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva 35-40'sh price
diplomatico_reserva_exclusiva_venezuela_12_r.jpg

As for Brandy, thats abit more tricky, but if you can find them:

Pierre Ferrand Ambre 35-40'sh price
pierre-ferrand-ambre-cognac.jpg

Frapin VS 35-40'sh price
Frapin_VS_1L_4fe194f1ba6cf.jpg

Bahumat

FH is my second home
DaGaffer said:
White or dark rum? For white, Havana Club (I prefer it to Bacardi), for dark, try Bundaberg - Australian rum. I got quite hooked on it.

When I was in Australia a few big drinkers said "oh not even we drink Bunda". They said it was potent lol

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
When I was in Australia a few big drinkers said "oh not even we drink Bunda". They said it was potent lol

Australians are all poofs when it comes to the drink. It was my biggest shock when I went there; the whole Aussie hard drinking image is a total myth. Most of 'em are in bed by 10. Of course they're all out surfing and being horribly healthy at 6AM (until the skin cancer gets 'em), but my point stands.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Thanks Olgaline. Perfect. :D

Will definitely give that rum a go

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom