Bournemouth University

Karl

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone go here or know anyone who plays daoc and attends this uni?

Karl

Fledgling Freddie
better the mmorpg and normal 9-5 work ;)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
are you staying in private halls or the uni ones? (brother went, he was staying in Glenfern House i think it was called and he managed to play WoW etc)

Karl

Fledgling Freddie
Well im a mature student (21 in april), planning to go in september... now, im not sure if to apply for halls/campus accomidation or not...

I would like to if they let me in... but yeah i wanted to know if they allowed games through thier connection... awesome if they do... seems so if your bro could play WoW.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Glenfern house was a private halls though, rather than directly owned by the university, ill point him at this thread though and see what he says ;)

edit: on a second thought i cant remember when it was he was playing in glenfern house as wow wasnt out at the time doh, ill have to ask ;)

(but most uni owned/run accomodation will connect through a proxy and will block games :( as im painfully aware here in hull :D )

Karl

Fledgling Freddie
I find it really differs depending on the uni.. some of my mates can get through fine.. some cant... will be a shame if i cant daoc for a year :(

Yeah send your bro here! Much appreciated!

Ezteq

Queen of OT
hahaha i live just up the road from one of their student apartments i could nip down and ask if you like lol theres usually some kids hanging about out side eating KFC

Karl

Fledgling Freddie
if you nip down and ask i will continue to rep you everyday for the rest of my life :p

Not that you need it!! :O

Ezteq

Queen of OT
rofl ok i'll prolly do it tomorrow though cos its getting a bit dark out there now, what did you want me to aask them just if they could play mmrpgs in the halls?

Ezteq

Queen of OT
should i make a poster and ask them to put it up on the message board?

Karl

Fledgling Freddie
yes lol... and if you wouldnt mind popping in and picking me up a prospectus and mailing that to me....

nah its ok... the port question will do :p

SilverHood

FH is my second home
The halls in Bournemouth vary with regards to the net conections.

Cranborne House, Hurn House, Student Village and the new one they just built, all connect to the University, which then links you to JANET.

For the above mentioned halls, you can't really do anything more than browsing and MSN, as the whole infrastructure is rubbush. Sometimes, you're lucky if the internet even works. Deffinetly not suited for gaming, though we had some cracking UT deathmatches across the Cranborne house network.

I was living in Glenfern House - a privately owned hall - there was four 2 meg lines, meaning bandwitdh of around 200-400 kb/s for downloads.

I managed to play PlanetSide and Medieval Total War online without too much problem, though if someone was uploading stuff, the entire network would slow to a halt. The accomodation there is fucking awfull though, so I wouldn't reccomend it unless you got nowhere else to go. Didn't try any other MMO's, too busy with course work :)

If you can choose to live in a Uni Let (basically a house with other students), then go for that. Can get NTL package for £25 a month - 1.5 MB cable and NTL cable TV, includes phone line for recieving calls (cant dial out).

Or go live in the student village if you can put online gaming on hold for a year

:)

Tilda

<3 Southampton Uni,

Happy to let games through their firewall etc, and T2 lines iirc, well, I think, since the speed was double a T1 on the picture?

Attachments

• unispeed.JPG
    unispeed.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 29

Karl

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for all the help guys!! a lot to do!!

Ill see if i can convince the uni to let me have ports / look for a house outside uni. ;)

If not i guess ill be single player gaming for a year.

Moggit

One of Freddy's beloved
ummmm are you the real Karl or Karls brother thats posting these as i was told in game that the real Karl was in hospital

Karl

Fledgling Freddie
i am in hospita, we have these fancy bed computers/tv/telephone etc!!

i have nothing to do but trawl forums all day now!! Should be out on friday/saturday hope my brother is doing ok!!

Email me if you need me :D

Moggit

One of Freddy's beloved
i want to go live in your hospital then :p

I hope your ok hun and i hope to see you back in game soon. /huggles

Karl

Fledgling Freddie
trust me... you dont... this mean nurse wont let me sleep for more then 3 hours straight before she trys to inject me again!

Im okay thanks throat is going down now, so i can drink and eat a bit!

Huggles appreciated!! :)

Moggit

One of Freddy's beloved
i had something like that a few years ago. i had been ill for about 1 week and my neck and throte was all swollen, could not eat and could drink very little. ended up being rushed in to A&E drips being put in both hands and being on morphine.
still dont know what was wrong with me.

PS teach your brother how to spellcraft :p

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Karl said:
Thanks for all the help guys!! a lot to do!!

Ill see if i can convince the uni to let me have ports / look for a house outside uni. ;)

If not i guess ill be single player gaming for a year.

if you dont get uni accommodation there are millions of student letting agents down here (again if you want some number etc for them just let me know and i'll scout around)

Karl

Fledgling Freddie
Ezteq do you have msn? could you PM me your addy? :)

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Karl said:
Ezteq do you have msn? could you PM me your addy? :)
did ya get it? btw thats not my email addy i deleted it as that so if theres anything you want to ask me to find for you down here and im not on msn just pm me

*santas lil helper*

Ormorof

FH is my second home
and i get told that people down south arent friendly and helpful! :eek7:

(mostly by northerners that dont know better :p )

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Ormorof said:

nah its true, im a freak of nature.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Ormorof said:

northerners that dont know better? you southern fairy :m00:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom